I bought my Torch the first week they were available. I've done all the OS upgrades and until about 3 weeks ago had become fairly happy with it. It was not perfect but it has done the job. Unfortunately in the past three weeks it has taken on a life of its own. The transceiver turns itself off 2-3 times a day. It goes into SOS mode in places with full bar coverage. It cycles in and out of speakerphone mode while I'm in the middle of phone calls. I touch one icon and a different one opens up. It disconnects and reconnects with my bluetooth headset at random intervals. On and on. It used to be that I'd have to do a battery pull once or twice after an OS upgrade and then no more until the next upgrade. Now I'm doing 2-3 a day just to try to keep the thing limping along.

I'm not sure where to go with this. The phone is a necessity for my job. I haven't had it long enough to qualify for a new one. And if I were to get a new one I'm not sure what I'd buy. The Torch 2 isn't out yet. Going back to a Bold seems like a step backwards. I could go with an iPhone or Android variant but that would render my Playbook pretty much worthless.

Should I try to fix this darn thing, replace it, or just keep limping along?
    06-10-11 06:19 PM
    Seems like an OS issue, maybe?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 06:30 PM
    Exactly what I'm thinking, OS issue. Have your tried wiping and reloading the OS yet? I'm currently running .576 and all is fine for me.
    06-10-11 06:41 PM
    I'm on .486 and have been since it was first leaked. Very stable and not a single problem until about 3 weeks ago. Not sure why I would be corrupted all of a sudden. Before I pitch this in the garbage however I'll take your advice and load up the latest leaked OS and see if that helps.
    06-10-11 07:54 PM
    I'm sorry youre having problems. My Torch is essential to me, too, in part because I travel extensively, so I feel your anxiety. I agree totally with the other guys-don't panic, take a few hours and wipe the phone, after the usual backups. I have .576 and its been faultless. Unless there's some sort of hardware problem due to a drop or getting too wet (mine's been in the rain many. many times), I'll bet this helps. Mainly, don't panic and get that data off the phone ASAP, just in case. Good luck.
    06-10-11 08:49 PM
    If for some reason the wipe and reinstall doesn't do the trick,did you buy it new with ATT ? If so you should still be under the manufacturer warranty and could try giving them a call and getting a replacement. Good luck. Hopefully the wipe/reinstall does the trick.
    06-10-11 11:00 PM
    If for some reason the wipe and reinstall doesn't do the trick,did you buy it new with ATT ? If so you should still be under the manufacturer warranty and could try giving them a call and getting a replacement. Good luck. Hopefully the wipe/reinstall does the trick.
    Just walked in the door from a cross-country flight so will do the wipe and install tonight. Been putting it off until I got home. Hate having to reload and reactivate all my apps but that's life. Phone has never been dropped or even damp. I can't for the life of me remember when the Torch first came out but hasn't it been over a year?
    06-11-11 06:04 PM
    I believe it was in August, if I'm not mistaken.
    06-11-11 08:26 PM
    Well I did a complete wipe and installed .576. Lost all my apps in the process however. It's going to take me hours to rebuild all of them and that's assuming I can even find the registration information. I'll report back as to whether or not this helped.
    06-11-11 09:45 PM
    My torch seems to be back to normal. Thanks guys. The only casualty is that I lost the application that contained all my user names and passwords. - Ouch.
    06-12-11 12:50 PM
    Did you make a backup?
    06-12-11 01:01 PM
    Did you make a backup?
    Thought I did but the answer is no. I've never done a complete wipe before. This is the 5th BB I've owned and in all other OS upgrades I simply used DM to load the new OS. This time I used DM to do a backup but didn't realize that it didn't back up apps unless specifically told to do so. To be honest I didn't read the instructions. Then used BBSAK to wipe the phone. Was going to use BBSAK to load the new OS but was never able to figure out how to get the new OS to appear in the pull down list in BBSAK. It showed the two previous ones but not the new one. Went back to DM, loaded the new OS and then asked DM to restore. When I realized that my apps were gone I wasn't overly concerned because I figured I could easily retrieve them off of AppWorld. It wasn't until I went to log into one of my GoDaddy accounts today that I realized I'd lost all of my passwords.

I learned a couple of lessons:

1) Read the directions.
    2) Don't keep your passwords on a single device.
    06-13-11 12:45 AM
    Good News / Bad News. I wasn't able to figure out how to reload Password Keeper. I thought it came with the OS. Sure as heck can't find it in App World. That's the bad news. The good news is I remembered that I still had the Bold that I was using before I got the Torch. Charged the battery up, turned it on, and most of my passwords were still in the Bold. Now I'm going to download a better app that syncs to my laptop so that I don't have this issue in the future.

By the way, my Torch is still acting weird. It did a spontaneous reboot 3 times today and the connection to my Jawbone drops on and off at random intervals. Going to call AT&T tomorrow and see if they'll replace it.
    06-13-11 10:34 PM
    If you can get datavault its worth it. I had the same problem with passwords, I haven't posted in a while. Actually passwordkeeper is good once you backup in dm you can take that same bkup file and put it in any bb just custom restore and carefully choose paswordkeeper info in the list and it will restore just fine most of all its free I also bkup the files that dm creates so I always have a copy of both new and old. I just updated to the latest os also and its really great and buch better than previous. You can use bbsak to bkup ur apps but it doesn't restore the same way as backing up since it only restores the .cod files. Great to see your backup and running. I notice that bb does need a fresh start sometimes I ran into a glitch that after updating a app caused me slow downs and lockups after along time but its much better now. You can go even further by removing some .cods in the java folder to add more space to ur bb but that's another lesson by itself once it runs smooth that's all that matters. Cheers to the recovery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD