I've read both yes and no answers to this so please can someone tell me for sure!
    I have a Storm 9550 which is unlocked which I did use on T-Mobile but have now moved to AT&T prepaid, they assured me I could use BIS on this service with the Smartphone plan and a Data pack.
    I also will use this phone in the UK on Orange who I have a contract with.

If I register the PIN with Orange & change my plan with them to a Blackberry one it will work fine in the UK & with this SIM on roaming in the US but will BIS work if I put the AT&T SIM in my phone in the US.

Will I need 2 sets of service books/Host Routing Tables to make this work or will it route through Blackberry servers & Orange even with the AT&T SIM?

Many thanks

Kate
    06-09-11 02:40 AM
    When you get to UK Orange can sell you a pre pay blackberry from just over �100 that would only need �5 a month to keep the bis data plan going. Don't complicate yourself, use 2 devices.

9550 is primarely a cdma device, I'm not sure how well it's gonna work on uk gsm networks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 03:04 AM
    And in the US, AT&T does not currently support BlackBerry data on prepaid.
    06-09-11 05:24 AM
    When you get to UK Orange can sell you a pre pay blackberry from just over �100 that would only need �5 a month to keep the bis data plan going. Don't complicate yourself, use 2 devices.

9550 is primarely a cdma device, I'm not sure how well it's gonna work on uk gsm networks.

In Europe is the storm a GSM device
    06-09-11 11:17 AM
    In Europe is the storm a GSM device
    Yes, it's 9520 but cdma capable

06-09-11 11:19 AM
    The GSM will be fine in UK, I've checked the frequencies. I had a US spec LG Optimus One before & no issues at all with that as long as it's unlocked it's fine and this one is.

TBH I paid less than �100 for the storm and I'm bored of having 2 phones all the time hence the question, much easier to switch a sim than worry about carrying 2 phones or letting everyone know how to reach you, if BIS will work on both SIM's I'll have 1 contact point all the time!

I only pay �10 a month for my Orange contract with unlimited mins, 5GB data (inc BIS) and 100 mins of calls so keeping that one

2 different AT&T stores, 1 corporate & 1 franchise told me BIS would work on pre-paid that was why I switched, don't believe everything you read on here, T-Mobile sent me service books no issue & supported the Storm on Flexpay yet look on here & you'd think that'll never happen!

Kate
    06-09-11 01:09 PM
    Managed to get an answer as the Blackberry rep was in AT&T when I went in earlier.

Register PIN with Orange
    get Orange & AT&T service books (may need to download from here for AT&T that's the official advice!!) and BIS works whichever SIM is in my phone!

Exactly as I'd hoped

AT&T reps were clueless TBH but this guy has done it himself with Rogers & AT&T in both of his BB handsets

Kate
    06-09-11 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD