OK guys, I just got my replacement Bold from VZW about an hour ago. I had to switch back to the Storm for a while as I killed my new Bold the first week I used it at work. The fact that my NEW was screwed up and I get a refurb as a replacement is a another argument for another day.

I killed my phone with sweat, sweat from being in my pocket, sweat from talking on it while at work sweating like a pig. It killed the trackpad and top row of buttons (BB button, return, and answer) the hang up button was fine. I ordered an Otterbox Defender and was wondering if these came with keyboard protection as well as a screen protector. I could care less if my screen gets wet but the place sweat will get in is the keyboard. I hated the look and feel of cases, especially the Defender cause they are so darn big, but I dont want to buy a new phone every month so I have no choice as summer is just starting and lots of days are 90 to 95% humidity where I live. I also ordered a couple of Otterbox Impact cases to try just before my phone died, and they offer no keyboard protection. Wish they did because they would be my choice. Thanks for any input.
    06-08-11 01:41 PM
    Hey bigdaddyII! 1st off, sorry to hear about your phone issues. And 2nd, the Otterbox Defender is an amazing product. I've owned two — one for my 8900 and currently using one on my 9700. Warranty is good and probably won't have to use it. I'm one year strong into my 9700 Defender. I'm also using a privacy screen underneath and that kinda creates this 'bubble' issue. But just very lil of that sweat you've been producing can be rubbed across the screen and naturally, the oil from your fingers, will cease the 'bubble' issue.

Hope that helps and good luck with your new phone!
    06-08-11 02:23 PM
    +1 For Defender series. Rock solid, though a little bulky, but it gives that extreme protection.
    06-08-11 03:48 PM
    The defender case is hard core - protect the entire phone and screen buit the buttons are not protected. It can take quite a beating.

I had one but took it off my bold since its almost impossible to put it in your pocket with the otterbox on it. Also - I seem to need to do battery pulls once in a while on my phone (which is impossible without removing the case over and over again). The holster broke on me a few weeks back too. They are replacing it for me but the point is it shouldnt have happened.

Overall great case but I think Ive just had some issues.
    06-08-11 09:12 PM
    Why do you have to pull the battery? There is Keyboard short cuts to do that.

And the buttons are covered by the supplied silicone
    06-08-11 09:43 PM
    Otterbox Defender case is awesome and I always use alt+right shift+del to reboot cuz its way easier than removing battery door and pulling the battery out any day. Same resuls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 10:15 PM
    I usually take my Defender off every 4 to 6 weeks for "routine" cleaning. The only exposed area is the track pad. Dust and stuff can slip under the membrane that protects the keypad so I like to keep it clean. Also, gives me an opportunity to pull the battery, just for drill. If you need to reboot on a regular basis, just use the method mentioned in previous posts.

In spite of the bulk, this case is the best I've tried and the 1700 mAh battery fits in without any modification.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 07:06 AM
    Let me add my praise for the OtterBox Defender. When I first got my 8330 I got the OtterBox for it. I was outside officiating a soccer game with my BB in my shirt pocket and it started to POUR down rain. I couldn't say, "Excuse me, could we stop the game for a little bit while I find a dry place for my BB?" so I was out there for 30 minutes before I could put my BB in a plastic bag. End result, no damage what so ever. The wrap around plastic protector that goes on the BB shed all the rain. The OtterBox is a little bulky, but will protect your BB from just about anything.
    06-09-11 09:41 AM
    I'm not using Defender but Commuter instead. And I don't see any complain even using the Commuter. Imagine if I use the Defender

FYI, Bold 9650 should use the Defender series, because it has the screen protector membrane. Why? Coz I used Curve 8330 before, and the LCD screen is hidden under the front case of the Curve. Just a thought though..
    06-09-11 11:35 PM
    Just a note... Otterbox cases are the best out there IMHO, but they are NOT water-proof, only water resistant. Only a dry bag or other such harsh duty cases are water proof.

From Otterbox website re: 9650 Defender
    Environmental Protection:

Case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is NOT protective against water.

BlackBerry Bold 9650 Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com
    06-10-11 09:03 AM
    Just a note... Otterbox cases are the best out there IMHO, but they are NOT water-proof, only water resistant. Only a dry bag or other such harsh duty cases are water proof.

From Otterbox website re: 9650 Defender
    Environmental Protection:

Case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is NOT protective against water.

BlackBerry Bold 9650 Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com
    I know its not totally protective against water, but has to be better then the nekkid phone ya know. Im not planning on submerging it, just talking on it with a damp face from time to time.
    06-10-11 10:38 AM
    I know its not totally protective against water, but has to be better then the nekkid phone ya know. Im not planning on submerging it, just talking on it with a damp face from time to time.

I understand totally what you're saying. I killed an 8330 that was nicely wrapped in an Otterbox. I kept it in an inside pocket while wearing a rain jacket on a warm day for a few hours. No water got inside, just sweat from the moisture condensation inside the jacket.
    06-10-11 10:43 AM
    Ordered a defender case online... P.S. Walmart has it for $20 cheaper than Ottterboxes website
    06-10-11 01:47 PM
    +1 for the Defender. I have one for my Curve. It's a bit bulky, but its better than nothing protecting it.
    Bought it off Amazon for around $38
    06-10-11 05:07 PM
    Got the Defender in today. Seems pretty sturdy, ought to serve the purpose I intended it for when buying it.
    06-10-11 05:10 PM
    Can anyone add to this, from what I understand the Otterbox case for 9780 has major design flaws. Apparently the holster clip break or do not hold it tight. Has anyone experienced this??
    06-14-11 06:42 AM
    Can anyone add to this, from what I understand the Otterbox case for 9780 has major design flaws. Apparently the holster clip break or do not hold it tight. Has anyone experienced this??
    The holster has been the only disappointment for me with my 9700 in the Defender case.

The clips that hold it in the case are so weak that if anything touches the phone it falls out. A email to Otterbox resulted in this reply:

Update for Case #832XX - "BlackBerry Bold 9700 Otterbox Defender"

The_Adventist,

We have made our engineering department aware of this issue and I believe that they are working on a solution to this problem. For now I would either place a strap around the holster so the phone will not come out or use velcro to help adhere the phone into the holster. I will keep your information on file and when the solution comes up I will notify you.

Thanks,
    Alex Krauss

No reply back as of yet.
    06-14-11 07:08 AM
    The holster that came with the Defender I just purchased holds the phone securely. It takes a good deal of force to "unsnap" the phone from it. The holster however is irrelevant to me as I wont use it and usually just pocket the phone or hold it.
    06-14-11 07:24 AM
    Hey guys, has anyone replaced their holster with one that is made for a different bb? I'm using the Defender for about 2 weeks now and have no issues with the Otterbox holster, but I'm anticipating some issues lol any suggestions?
    07-03-11 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD