Hi, everyone.

I'm new here and to BB. I got a 8220 flip and trying to solve my doubts step by step. The one at hand is: I can't enable bluetooth. It's not a matter of not finding other devices or not being able to pair with them: it's disable and I can't enable it. I've tried going through "Settings", "Options" and "manage Connections" but nothing worked. I choose "enable bluetooth" in the menu and it won't even flinch.

Does anyone knows any magic that I can try to fix this?

Thanks very much.
    06-07-11 01:16 PM
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's a common hardware issue with the Flip, manifested as Bluetooth switching off moments after you switch it on. I've only heard of a couple people being able to snap their Flip out of this cycle by initiating a Bluetooth file transfer from BB to PC, or maybe it's PC to BB, I can't remember which. You might also try backing up and wiping your phone and reloading the OS. Unfortunately almost everybody, including my spouse, could only fix the issue by replacing their Flip.
    06-07-11 05:21 PM
    Bluetooth not working on my 8220 was just one on the many problems I had.

I now own a Blackberry 9100 that works great.
    06-09-11 06:39 PM
    Unfortunately, as already has been said, the 8220 is notorious for failures in its Bluetooth circuitry. You can find on the Web numerous cases of people's 8220s' Bluetooth dying in several phones in a row. I am one of them, having had mine die in the third straight 8220 in just under two years. I am now laboring to get RIM to honor the one-year warranty (that is still in effect), but even though I bought the third phone from an independent retailer (with money paid under a credit-card extended warranty—I may be a masochist with this phone, but I am frugal), RIM has twice maintained that my carrier, T-Mobile, should service the warranty. Naturally, T-Mobile doesn't believe it has any such responsibility because it didn't sell me the phone (a quite reasonable position, I believe).

Anyhow, I have two suggestions for you.

The first is to try the two solutions given at this page on the RIM Web site: btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB18 989

The second, if you don't get a miraculous fix, is to try to get the phone repaired (or replaced—with a different model; the 8220 is discontinued) under warranty if you are fortunate enough to have one still in effect.

(Besides forcing Bluetooth to enable by sending a picture file, in addition to the 'solutions' in the RIM knowledge base article, 'fixes' that other people have tried have been to turn the phone off, remove the battery, and leave it overnight and pull the battery while the phone is still on and leave it out overnight. Neither thing will harm the phone, so far as my experience can say, but success with them seems to be rare (because the problem is typically with the circuitry, not the software). Note that the easiest way to test and turn on/turn off Bluetooth (and Wi-Fi) on the 8220 is to use the check box in the Manage Connections option on the phone referred to in the KB article.
    Last edited by RedGreenBlue; 06-11-11 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Amplification of a point.
    06-11-11 11:01 AM
    Here's what worked for me.

I turned off the phone for a few hours which is something I never do and when it powered back on bluetooth worked.

here's a link to a previous thread. Seems to have worked for at least one other person.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/blu...needed-478120/
    06-21-11 08:45 PM
    So since the last post I've been having on and off issues with bluetooth. Whenever I do a battery pull or reboot bluetooth stops working. Seems the way to get bluetooth to work again (and still extremely intermittently) is to have the battery low to the point of the radio being off and trying it. It worked 3 times in the last month and a half. Whenever I do a battery pull it fails again...I'm just suffering through until I can burn out my contract and might move to the dark side and switch service providers. It also gives me a few months to do some research on which side I'm going to be moving to...
    08-08-11 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD