Of course we're all still waiting for spell check, auto-correct and auto-text for the Playbook, after this latest update. I don't know enough about the tech stuff to have an understanding as to why this can't be brought over to the Playbook more easily, given its been working fine for years on even relatively primitive BB phone OS's. Why is this? I don't want to open the door to an attack on RIM. I'm genuinely curious as to what the technical constraints may be that prevent this from happening. It does work on the Playbook, after a fashion, in Word to Go, and you do at least get the underlining of errors.

Is it a sandbox thing? These functions do cut across most of the platforms. Virtually every app, good, bad or indifferent, would be easier to use and have a better chance of impressing if a user could input text in the manner we have all been used to from our computers and phones for years now. This has to be a major pain to the developers, too. If I had even a dim understanding of what the issue is, and when it might be resolved, it would be helpful and possibly encouraging, as we await further updates.

And if your answer is that RIM is evil, stupid, uncaring etc., maybe we could agree on some symbol or smiley thing which means 256 characters of RIM loathing so that we can save time and effort.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    06-07-11 12:57 PM
    My guess it simply boils down to priority. In other words, RIM likely has a long list of what they believe needs to be fixed or implemented, and because of limited resources, certain projects have to come before others. I'm not a fan of the "it will happen in time" but that might be the only answer in this situation.
    06-07-11 12:59 PM
    RIM is evil, stupid, uncaring etc..
    06-07-11 01:07 PM
    There's that too...
    06-07-11 01:09 PM
    Of course we're all still waiting for spell check, auto-correct and auto-text for the Playbook, after this latest update. I don't know enough about the tech stuff to have an understanding as to why this can't be brought over to the Playbook more easily, given its been working fine for years on even relatively primitive BB phone OS's. Why is this?
    Because RIM has been adding in features and functionality into that "primitive BB phone OS" for years. How long ago did they acquire QNX? Also QNX is not what you are seeing on the Playbook you are seeing a brand new UI on the Playbook that is running on top of QNX. The Highlander project is supposed to combine the features of the BBOS with the TabletOS into a new OS that will run on both tablets and phones. No OS comes out of the gates with everything. You have to deliver critical functionality first, then start tackling everything else on a prioritized list. Auto-correct and text are on the list, where on the list only RIM knows. My guess is with the native e-mail and PIM, but you never know.
    06-07-11 01:17 PM
    I was pretty upset that these features didn't come in the update as well. Hopefully theres another one soon.
    06-07-11 01:18 PM
    Because RIM has been adding in features and functionality into that "primitive BB phone OS" for years. How long ago did they acquire QNX? Also QNX is not what you are seeing on the Playbook you are seeing a brand new UI on the Playbook that is running on top of QNX. The Highlander project is supposed to combine the features of the BBOS with the TabletOS into a new OS that will run on both tablets and phones. No OS comes out of the gates with everything. You have to deliver critical functionality first, then start tackling everything else on a prioritized list. Auto-correct and text are on the list, where on the list only RIM knows. My guess is with the native e-mail and PIM, but you never know.
    I hope its just a case of prioritizing. in which case I will simply scratch my head and wait. I did have some concerns that there might be something more serious going on, that would account for the delay. That's why its good to see Word to Go. In terms of RIM's prioritizing, it is obviously driven by things in addition to consumer complaint, but they should be aware of the tendency for the frequent appearance of squiggly lines is a constant source of irritation and a reminder of the unfinished nature of the OS.
    06-07-11 01:44 PM
    Please RIM, no auto-correct unless it can be disabled.
    06-07-11 02:12 PM
    Please RIM, no auto-correct unless it can be disabled.
    RIM does AutoCorrect using "word Substitution" which means you can edit any AutoCorrect out that you don't like what it does.

it isn't the way Apple or Android use AutoCorrect
    06-07-11 02:16 PM
    What am I missing here? Which programs are people having issues with. When my update was complete the first thing that I did was write a couple words in Word and the first letter of the word was capatilized as well as the first letter after a period.

Then words like Thiis and Cooool had lines under them showing that I spelled them wrong.

So is everyone looking for spell check w/ auto correct? To say that there is zero spell check just doesn't make sense.
    06-07-11 02:26 PM
    If they give us spellcheck know than it will be nothing left for the PB2. Every feature or app needs to be released accordingly otherwise how do you generate revenue while releasing the same product with no additional new features.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 06-07-11 at 02:32 PM.
    06-07-11 02:27 PM
    Then words like Thiis and Cooool had lines under them showing that I spelled them wrong.

So is everyone looking for spell check w/ auto correct? To say that there is zero spell check just doesn't make sense.
    I believe that the concept of spell check includes the ability to correct the mistakes, not simply identify that mistakes have been made. The BlackBerry phones will offer a list of suggested replacements for misspelled words. Microsoft Word does the same. Firefox does the same. The PlayBook, on the other hand, does not.
    06-07-11 02:42 PM
    i hate autocorrect as well. i know how to spell well enough that i dont need it. typing is a different story as i sometimes hit the wrong key. the underline shows me i screwed up, and again i know how to spell well enough that i can correct my typo without assistance. when i intentionally misspell something (slang nicknames etc) autocorrect angers me
    06-07-11 02:44 PM
    I believe that the concept of spell check includes the ability to correct the mistakes, not simply identify that mistakes have been made. The BlackBerry phones will offer a list of suggested replacements for misspelled words. Microsoft Word does the same. Firefox does the same. The PlayBook, on the other hand, does not.
    When I placed my finger on my misspelled words options came up.

Coool- gave me the option of Cool.

Thiis- gave me the options of this, thins, th iis (not sure what that is), and Thais
    06-07-11 03:01 PM
    Whoops. You are correct. It seems that I overlooked that. Now can we get that in the Browser, Facebook, and any other app besides DTG please?
    Last edited by ifarlow; 06-07-11 at 03:13 PM.
    06-07-11 03:09 PM

Thiis- gave me the options of this, thins, th iis (not sure what that is), and Thais
    Try doing that in facebook, or on the web anywhere, it won't work. Bridged apps and WTG it does work in. I want to be able to write comments/posts on CB without having to correct the errors or add punctuation manually.
    06-07-11 03:09 PM
    whoa theres a device that auto corrects punctuation? how does that even work?
    06-07-11 03:14 PM
    cant -> can't
    dont -> don't
    isnt ->isn't
    [SPACE][SPACE] -> .[SPACE]

Just some examples of what the BlackBerry phones can do.
    06-07-11 03:17 PM
    Maybe RIM just wants to encourage excellent typing skills on the Playbook.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    06-07-11 03:22 PM

i think the post was talking more about the use of spell check across apps and the browser. docs to go works great but i do far more typing within the browser than just word rtc.
    06-07-11 03:28 PM
    Try doing that in facebook, or on the web anywhere, it won't work. Bridged apps and WTG it does work in. I want to be able to write comments/posts on CB without having to correct the errors or add punctuation manually.
    I agree that it should work in bridged functions and the browser. As for Facebook you all can gripe about that I never will.

But at least it shows that they put some effort into actually putting some sort of spell check into the system somewhere.

Silly me for thinking that if it is in DTG that it would be in the rest of the system. I am going to guess that within the browser will be the last place it gets it at least from inside the RIM head quarters that is. They will probably get it to work everywhere else first THEN do the browser. If the next update has spell check in the rest of the system AND the browser then that would be a huge plus.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 06-07-11 at 03:52 PM.
    06-07-11 03:49 PM
    What am I missing here? Which programs are people having issues with. When my update was complete the first thing that I did was write a couple words in Word and the first letter of the word was capatilized as well as the first letter after a period.

If it can only be done in the Documents to Go suite then it's useless. It needs to be universal IMplayBook :-D
    06-07-11 04:28 PM
    If they give us spellcheck know than it will be nothing left for the PB2. Every feature or app needs to be released accordingly otherwise how do you generate revenue while releasing the same product with no additional new features.
    I highly doubt that is the case. That isn't a feature they are going to advertise: "the PB now has autocorrect!" That is a feature that should be a given, and not one to hold out on to entice customers.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    06-07-11 05:37 PM
    My frustration with the keyboard is two fold. First, use the stock keyboard on any android phone and you will be blown away at its ability to sense mistakes and offer suggestions. Even ios and wp7 are miles ahead. It feels like sitting down to an ibm xt in that I feel like I have moved backwards.

Second, and most frustrating of all, when I am done with a symbol I actually have to press abc to go back to the alphabet. There isn't a dumb phone for sale anymore that doesn't do this automatically.

Okay, I lied. One more gripe. No arrow keys anywhere. Seriously?

I love my playbook, but the keyboard is a joke in it's current state.

I would pay $100 to have my nuance flexT9 keyboard that is on my evo on the playbook instead. This post has been an exercise in frustration and would have been much easier on the evo.
    06-07-11 06:01 PM
    I actually wish that the keyboard on the PlayBook had the shift and alternate keys oriented like they are on the phones. I'm quick on a BlackBerry phone. I am all sorts of disastrous on the PlayBook. Part of that is due to the different orientation of the shift and alternate keys. Part of that is due to the missing features associated with the keyboard as you have identified... features I am used to with my BlackBerry phone.
    06-07-11 06:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD