I don't understand why RIM doesn't publicize it's charging prongs. I have introduced so many people to wireless charging on their BlackBerry and everyone of them couldn't believe they never knew about that. It's one of the coolest features that (most) BlackBerrys have and so many people have no idea about it!
    06-07-11 10:39 AM
    Could you explain what prongs you are talking about? Thanks.
    06-07-11 11:42 AM
    Could you explain what prongs you are talking about? Thanks.
    Most non-touch screen berries have charging contacts on the outside of the battery door that allows charging with desktop cradles without the need to plug the phone into the cable.

Unfortunately the touch screen devices don't have this feature. This was one of the reasons I quit using the storm 2 and changed to the bold because I missed it from my old curve.
    Last edited by atlawson; 06-07-11 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added more info
    06-07-11 12:01 PM
    why is this such a advantage? i can still get a cradle for my TB and my Inc. It works the same as my storms did. it does not use outside contacts but still works just the same
    06-07-11 12:31 PM
    why is this such a advantage? i can still get a cradle for my TB and my Inc. It works the same as my storms did. it does not use outside contacts but still works just the same

It is CLOSE to the same, but isn't the same,
    I could toss my 9630 into the cradle haphazardly as I walked into my house and it always charged, no fiddling with a connector or lining up, it was more convenient than the way the Storm and Torch do things, I DON'T use the Torch cradle because the effort required was the same as just plugging it in.

RIM could do much better with the charging contacts if they made it a rapid charge point if plugged into the wall, not using a USB cable, but they don't so it is a great feature, but not a marketing gem IMO
    06-07-11 12:37 PM
    yep i do agree you do have to fiddle sometimes and could be a little better
    06-07-11 12:45 PM
    Personally I wish they would do inductive charging with out the need of special batter doors or plug in modules, and also allow the charging through an otterbox case or skin.
    rrrebo likes this.
    06-07-11 12:47 PM
    Personally I wish they would do inductive charging with out the need of special batter doors or plug in modules, and also allow the charging through an otterbox case or skin.

I wish Otterbox would build a case with the inductive charging pad built into it, work with Powermat!!

the size of the inductive charging solutions I would NOT want built into my daily driver device, the contacts are pretty slick and quick, much nicer than plugging the USB in, but if the inductive charging solutions were built into good cases, MAYBE I'd use them regularly
    rrrebo likes this.
    06-07-11 12:53 PM
    There is absolutely NO reason they don't have this feature. The powermat battery cover on my 9650 connects to the charging ports to make the charging connection. Otterbox could do the exact same thing and offer a cradle sized for the Otterbox case. In fact, a lot of case makers could be doing this.
    06-07-11 03:21 PM
    One of the things I really like about my BlackBerry is the charging prongs. Having the charging dock on my desk makes it easy to just drop it in and use it while on the desk. The one on my nightstand makes it easy to use bedside mode.

I've seen other devices end up having problems with the USB port after constantly plugging and unplugging daily (and sometimes multiple times a day). The prongs mean easy charging without wearing anything out.
    06-07-11 09:34 PM
    One of the things I really like about my BlackBerry is the charging prongs. Having the charging dock on my desk makes it easy to just drop it in and use it while on the desk. The one on my nightstand makes it easy to use bedside mode.

I've seen other devices end up having problems with the USB port after constantly plugging and unplugging daily (and sometimes multiple times a day). The prongs mean easy charging without wearing anything out.
    ahhhh beside mode. best feature to pair with a cradle...
    06-08-11 12:31 AM
    It is CLOSE to the same, but isn't the same,
    I could toss my 9630 into the cradle haphazardly as I walked into my house and it always charged, no fiddling with a connector or lining up, it was more convenient than the way the Storm and Torch do things, I DON'T use the Torch cradle because the effort required was the same as just plugging it in.

RIM could do much better with the charging contacts if they made it a rapid charge point if plugged into the wall, not using a USB cable, but they don't so it is a great feature, but not a marketing gem IMO
    Spot ON !

while i do miss the charging pod from my 8330 ( i had them everywhere, office, bedside, kitchen, car) as you could just "drop & go", and i do wish the torch had the same feature, i could not be bothered to use a cradle that simply uses the usb port, that i have to line up carefully, as to not damage it etc...

much easier to plug it in...
    06-08-11 10:59 AM
    I wish Otterbox would build a case with the inductive charging pad built into it, work with Powermat!!

the size of the inductive charging solutions I would NOT want built into my daily driver device, the contacts are pretty slick and quick, much nicer than plugging the USB in, but if the inductive charging solutions were built into good cases, MAYBE I'd use them regularly
    Hear, Hear!!!
    06-08-11 11:41 AM
    ahhhh beside mode. best feature to pair with a cradle...

i love this feature with the cradle. Replaced my Alarm Clock years ago.
    06-08-11 11:46 AM
    I wonder if there is a design issue in the touch screen phones for them not to have the contacts? I can't see anything that there would be a problem squeezing them on there
    06-08-11 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD