Hi all...my wife jus got off the phone with a vzw rep who said that with ins. It is a flat fee of $99 to replace a device and...it would be a device to your liking...
    This doesn't sound right to me...in other words, if my S2 gets destroyed...I can get it replaced with a Thunderbolt??
    This can't be true....right?

Thanks....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 12:09 AM
    Stupid question...?

06-07-11 01:44 AM
    No that is not true.
    06-07-11 02:19 AM
    Right on...didn't sound right to me.

Thanks

06-07-11 02:40 AM
    It's a deductable of $99 to replace your broken device with another of your current device. You can't choose another. The rep is wrong.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    06-07-11 09:25 AM
    Unless you forego the replacement and just put 100 bucks toward another phone that costs 100 bucks. Maybe thats what they were thinking.
    06-07-11 06:15 PM
    Idk what they were thinking...but I wonder if I cld replace it with a different device that's not the same as the "broken" one...one that is about $10 cheaper...kinda like a "Equal or lesser value" deal..?

06-08-11 07:44 PM
    The only way you would get another phone would be if they didn't have yours in stock.

06-08-11 11:09 PM
    Rep is wrong, the insurance company is not out to lose money, that's for sure.

If you've had repeated problems that req'd replacement of multiple devices, then the ins company would consider a different device on manager's approval.

06-09-11 02:07 PM
    Don't get your hopes up. I have not had much success with Verizon's insurance and dropped it a year ago. Our most recent problems include the following:

Son #1 filed an insurance claim with Verizon about 6 months into our contract. His claim was denied due to "owner mistreatment." Since he grew-up with technology, takes it for granted, and does seem to be a bit rough, I dropped the issue and he purchased a replacement on E-Bay. He has owned Phone #2 for about 18 months and has never had a problem.

Son #2 filed an insurance claim with Verizon 12 months and 5 days into our contract. The insurance company refused to honor the insurance contract (can't remember their excuse, but I later learned that there were repeated problems with this "texting model") and Verizon refused to do the right thing because the phone was an Alltel product.

A review of the monthly service charges showed that Son #2 had used the phone exactly as we had planned (for emergencies and only inside our home) and was well below his monthly usage allowance. I had also watched him with the phone and it was obvious that he had been very careful.

I got so disgusted with the whole (perceived) scam that I dropped all of the insurance coverage and dropped Son #2's service, even though a friend had actually given us her old phone. Fortunately after seeing my negative survey results, Verizon finally stepped-up, did the right thing, and sent a (refurbished) replacement (valued on E-Bay for about $30).

I'm scheduled to renew my contract this month but tentatively am planning to either 1). Wait for Verizon's new releases and see where they go with their tiered data-plans (THANKS Crackberry) and/or 2) Purchase my next BB from E-Bay and 3). Invest in a nice CrackBerry case (worth every penny). I doubt that I will pay for additional insurance coverage.

Hopefully, your insurance experiences will be better than mine.
    06-14-11 11:58 PM
    Don't get your hopes up. I have not had much success with Verizon's insurance and dropped it a year ago. Our most recent problems include the following:

Son #1 filed an insurance claim with Verizon about 6 months into our contract. His claim was denied due to "owner mistreatment." Since he grew-up with technology, takes it for granted, and does seem to be a bit rough, I dropped the issue and he purchased a replacement on E-Bay. He has owned Phone #2 for about 18 months and has never had a problem.

Son #2 filed an insurance claim with Verizon 12 months and 5 days into our contract. The insurance company refused to honor the insurance contract (can't remember their excuse, but I later learned that there were repeated problems with this "texting model") and Verizon refused to do the right thing because the phone was an Alltel product.

A review of the monthly service charges showed that Son #2 had used the phone exactly as we had planned (for emergencies and only inside our home) and was well below his monthly usage allowance. I had also watched him with the phone and it was obvious that he had been very careful.

I got so disgusted with the whole (perceived) scam that I dropped all of the insurance coverage and dropped Son #2's service, even though a friend had actually given us her old phone. Fortunately after seeing my negative survey results, Verizon finally stepped-up, did the right thing, and sent a (refurbished) replacement (valued on E-Bay for about $30).

I'm scheduled to renew my contract this month but tentatively am planning to either 1). Wait for Verizon's new releases and see where they go with their tiered data-plans (THANKS Crackberry) and/or 2) Purchase my next BB from E-Bay and 3). Invest in a nice CrackBerry case (worth every penny). I doubt that I will pay for additional insurance coverage.

Hopefully, your insurance experiences will be better than mine.
    Verizon has never offered insurance, it's always been through a third party. Same with Alltel. If the denied the claim for a detail you "forgot", then you must have been trying to scam them. Glad Verizon made it right.
    06-15-11 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD