Just announced iMessage. Basically BBM for iDevices with delivery and read receipts. That with improved notifications and looked like very nice e-mail editing additions. It was just a matter of time RIM before someone built it into the OS. Your now going to have over 50 million competing devices with a BBM clone and their own ecosystem.
    06-06-11 01:17 PM
    Seriously, RIM should've gotten BBM out to Android and iDevices a year ago
    06-06-11 01:19 PM
    Seriously, RIM should've gotten BBM out to Android and iDevices a year ago
    not a good idea. if bbm moves to android, im moving away from bb
    06-06-11 01:21 PM
    There's truly no reason to stay with a Blackberry anymore.
    06-06-11 01:22 PM
    Wow. This is absolutely stunning news. Out of all the "negative" news hitting RIM, this iMessage thing might turn out to be the the real thing that sinks the ship. Doesn't RIM own the patents to this tech? Can they withhold said patents from Apple?

Hurting.
    06-06-11 01:23 PM
    Is this completely different from iChat?
    06-06-11 01:24 PM
    Pretty much. Now, wait for the flood of iPhone users that now say "OMG iMessage is so cool, it's BBM for iOS" when previously, it was like "BBM is so useless, why not just text or e-mail". This is a perfect example of how sad extreme Apple fans are, if Apple doesn't do it, it's not worth it but as soon as they come out with it, it's the best thing.

But at the same time, it's not surprising. Apple should've had something like this a long time ago. Something like iChat for the Mac (thought when Apple did come out with a messaging app, it would've been called iChat). This pretty much changes the smartphone game for RIM.
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 06-06-11 at 01:28 PM.
    06-06-11 01:25 PM
    They still have the security aspect over everyone, but its just a matter of time before Apple focuses on that too.
    06-06-11 01:25 PM
    They still have the security aspect over everyone, but its just a matter of time before Apple focuses on that too.
    iMessage is fully encrypted. Once again, hopefully RIM owns the patents to this. Otherwise, they're toast.
    06-06-11 01:26 PM
    Explain the "security" aspect to the majority of iOS device owners and they will either not care of haven't a clue what you're talking about. I'm sure Apple has thier bases covered making this a non issue.
    06-06-11 01:30 PM
    Not good news indeed. Patent or no patent, RIM won't win this lawsuit. Apple is smart enough. Don't think that they developed iMessage without first making sure they can fight their way out of any BBM-type lawsuit.

Wake up RIM! I'm a fan but - boy - does the slowness, lack of personality of the RIM CEOs, delays, lack of marketing savvy, and falling behind annoy the crap out of me. As a shareholder, I feel this doubly annoying. The loyal RIM base will slowly melt away unless RIM pulls their head out of their rear.
    06-06-11 01:31 PM
    This is the death sentence for RIM. Not really a surprise, though.
    06-06-11 01:32 PM
    iMessage is fully encrypted. Once again, hopefully RIM owns the patents to this. Otherwise, they're toast.
    if and when RIM sues you will have the Apple fanboys screaming TROLL TROLL and so on.
    That and calling the patents crap. But when Apple sues for even crappier ones they scream how great apple is and call the other company thieves. (For example sueing HTC over the unlocking.
    06-06-11 01:32 PM
    It was only a matter of time. I expected this last year for iOS 4. They must have
    really dug deep into patents.
    06-06-11 01:33 PM
    It was only a matter of time. I expected this last year for iOS 4. They must have
    really dug deep into patents.
    Fully agree. RIM really doesn't have any marketing pull with BBM anymore. What, they're going to market "security" to the average consumer? The only thing to look out for is how iMessage actually works. How are the carriers, iOS or both going to handle messaging. But right now, BBM is just became "another" IM app.
    06-06-11 01:38 PM
    Blackberry devices are now officially "flip phone" status devices. It was a nice run and I have many good memories with my numerous BB devices but it's survival of the fittest. RIM got fat, complacent and didn't have the vision or innovation to keep up with the competition RIP RIM.
    Last edited by JD914; 06-06-11 at 01:43 PM.
    06-06-11 01:40 PM
    HAHA... jesus christ. RIM needs to push forward today. not tomorrow, not in a month, not next year.
    06-06-11 01:41 PM
    I was going to get a 9900. Now looks like I will be getting an iphone 5. My girls lives in canada and I really missed bbm since i switched from bb to android. She hates her bb so getting an iphone should be an easy sell!
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-06-11 01:42 PM
    I can imagine RIM CEOs phoning their lawyers: "hey yo can you check if we own those patents"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 01:47 PM
    Blackberry success is not entirely relying on BBM, plus bbm integration is deep into bb os and probably not developed in ios.

I am not a smartphone expert but I see a lot of other featured to bb devices, the keyboard being one, the playbook, the data usage, the notifications, the diversity of devices and form factor, the open mind community, the android emulation on qnx devices, the battery life and so on

I used my first bb for two years before i discovered bbm
    06-06-11 01:48 PM
    The RIM CEO should phone the Nokia CEO to learn how RIM's future will look like....
    iOS 5 is a really, really compelling update.

It's more than just iMessage - although that's a death-blow for RIM. There's substantially more integration throughout the OS, the BB-style notification bar, virtualization of content (which I mentioned in an earlier post), wi-fi sync, improved and compelling UI (including the split-screen thumb keyboard!), and loads of new developer APIs. In many ways this update is (JMHO) trying to put a stake into BlackBerry.

I don't see how RIM can recover from this.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    As far as notifications and a few other things go, I wonder if the jailbreak devs will
    take a bow like Rene from TiPB said.
    06-06-11 01:50 PM
    i hope i wont hear "we invented imessage, he first real time instant messaging service, ever"
    06-06-11 01:51 PM
    Well certainly iOS 5 brings a lot of features that people will now start to think twice about buying blackberry.

RIM...wake up!
    06-06-11 01:52 PM
262 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD