I own an EVO 4G and BB Curve and was curious if wireless file transfer was possible between the Android EVO my 16GB PlayBook. I wanted this function to transfer music files from my EVO amazon music folder over to my PB without having to pull out the Laptop to do this. It appears that using the free File Expert App by Geek Software in the Android market allows wireless transfer to and from EVO and Playbook with no problems and transfers were very fast.

You must have wireless transfer enabled to do this on the Playbook.
    I use my EVO as a wireless hotspot which functions as a router. Im not 100% sure if you have to have a phone with hotspot functionality do do this or if it will work with just straight Wifi adhoc. Still a very cool option. Im sure in the future someone could piece together an app to make an Android bridge to work on the Playbook to access contacts, email etc... on an android.

Theres also a Bluetooth file transfer app in the android market. Just havent tried using it yet to try and do BT file transfers.

Just wanted to share this for those with Android phones wanting a file bridge.
    06-06-11 12:48 AM
    resurrecting this post: does anyone know if this method would be sending the files through your phone's data plan? sounds to me like it would be.
    12-21-11 08:35 PM
    I've been very frustrated in the last few days. I bought a PB 64, and took it home, tried to connect with it via BT. Could not do so, with my Android smartphone or either of two laptops. It paired, but could not connect.

I contacted RIM support (HAH!) and stayed on the phone with them for almost an hour, until finally they said I should ship the unit to them for repair. Since it was only a few days old, I took it back to Office Depot and exchanged it for a new unit. Now I've tried to connect via BT with this one, too, and still have no luck. Since it has no SD or MicroSD slot, and I cannot get it to connect with my smartphone, how am I supposed to transfer pictures, files, etc., from the phone (or from my laptops, for that matter) to the PB?

I installed an app from the Android app store that purports to allow me to send files via BT to the PBook, but I get an error message, stating that the OBEX OPP service is not available. Now, I have no problem at all sending or receiving files via BT with my Android smartphone or my Macbook Pro to/from any other device, but the PBooks simply don't want to play nicely.

Is there a way to do this? Quite frankly, if I can't transfer to/from it via BT, the Playbook, no matter how nice, is useless to me.
    03-30-12 12:05 AM
    At this time (and into a questionable future) you canNOT use BT to transfer to/from the pb to other devices unless you use the Bridge function between pb and bbphones. You can use wifi transfer to/from the pb to a computer. Now there might be apps that do allow wifi between the pb and other phone types. There are now two such apps (separate from bridge) for bb phones that allow wifi transfer using the Browser on the computer or pb.

Someone else might have better android info.
    03-30-12 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD