as far as I know one cannot use bluetooth on a plane, that being the case, I assume one cannot access playbook emails, calendar and so on when flying?
    06-03-11 06:47 AM
    i safely used bluetooth on a flight last week. i saved five bucks by signing up for wifi on my phone and then bridging it with my playbook for free.
    06-03-11 06:51 AM
    as far as I know one cannot use bluetooth on a plane, that being the case, I assume one cannot access playbook emails, calendar and so on when flying?
    Correct. No wifi, or BT while in flight. BUT many people still do.
    06-03-11 07:02 AM
    i found out in the pb help, theres a symbol logo for "flight mode".

how to activate and whats the function do?
    06-03-11 07:21 AM
    It's like cell phone in Gas Station, it's like make up while driving (I don't make up :P), it's like cross a road eyes closed... it 's like putting a pitbull in a nursery...

you are not supposed to, but you do
    06-03-11 07:21 AM
    It's like cell phone in Gas Station, it's like make up while driving (I don't make up :P), it's like cross a road eyes closed... it 's like putting a pitbull in a nursery...

This is true. I mean just the other day I put a pitbull in the nursery down the street, I was like meh why not!
    collapsed and blackranger3d like this.
    06-03-11 07:36 AM
    OMG, your wanting your bbm/email on the plane? Oh no, don't turn on your cellular connection because the plane is going to crash LMAO

You can live without being connected for a few hours. Believe me, I had serious withdrawls when I flew from toronto to Austin Tx last year. it sucked but I survived lmao
    06-03-11 07:56 AM

Nothing ever happened with regards to mobile phone use at a gas station. The problems came from static electricity caused by reentering your vehicle while refueling.
    06-03-11 08:15 AM
    I fly 3 times a week. The one thing I do find to be a pain with my playbook is with the GOGO flight internet you can only have one device logged in at a time. So if I have my phone logged in to get email & BBM I can not use the wifi of the playbook without logging out of the phone & logging into the playbook then I lose email & BBM. No I cannot tether by bluetooth because sprint has no tethering plans.
    06-03-11 08:38 AM
    I fly every other week if not more and I use Bluetooth all the time. I have had the pb since the 1st day and keep my BB in my backpack under my seat or over head and bridge to email, calendar, etc. I pretty use my BB durign the whole flight for email. Once I land all my email is sent which is awesome for me.
    06-03-11 09:03 AM
    Nothing ever happened with regards to mobile phone use at a gas station. The problems came from static electricity caused by reentering your vehicle while refueling.
    I agree, but when you switch on a cell phone there is enough power to enligth gas or another inflamable gas,

Here a man uses his cell phone as torch lamp.

06-03-11 09:24 AM
    above 10,000 ft, wifi is okay to use. BT also. I fly all the time, and many of the planes I'm on have WiFi that is turned on over 10k ft.
    06-03-11 09:33 AM
    I fly 3 times a week. The one thing I do find to be a pain with my playbook is with the GOGO flight internet you can only have one device logged in at a time. So if I have my phone logged in to get email & BBM I can not use the wifi of the playbook without logging out of the phone & logging into the playbook then I lose email & BBM. No I cannot tether by bluetooth because sprint has no tethering plans.
    Correction. I signed up for their tethering plan (it's listed as specifically for the Playbook) then immediately dropped it due to the slow nature. It's there though, but I did that two weeks ago. When did you look for the plan?
    jkeithbrown likes this.
    06-03-11 09:38 AM
    Sorry, I meant to say that I bridged using BT and had no problem. GoGo wants you to pay $12.99 for WiFi on the Playbook but only $7.99 on your Blackberry. Since I didn't have a need for any apps that go online while I was flying, I was happy just having bridge browser.
    06-03-11 09:45 AM
    Correction. I signed up for their tethering plan (it's listed as specifically for the Playbook) then immediately dropped it due to the slow nature. It's there though, but I did that two weeks ago. When did you look for the plan?
    When I got my playbook a little over month go, I will have to go back and check on it THANKS.
    d3adcrab likes this.
    06-03-11 09:49 AM
    I agree, but when you switch on a cell phone there is enough power to enligth gas or another inflamable gas,

Ever watch MythBusters? They de-bunked the cell phone at the gas station myth a couple/few years ago. Tried everything under the sun, including the "unrealistic" scenarios to try and get the thing to ignite fuel/fumes, and nothing...I can't remember if they used different types of cell phones, or not though.

And, at the time, I'm pretty sure they made a big deal of the fact that they were unable to track down a legitimately documented case where a cell phone was proven to have been the cause of igniting a gas station explosion...yet, we've all seen the stickers at pumps warning us of the dangers - lmao.
    06-03-11 10:05 AM

LOL you cant even see if it was a cellphone, it might as well be a lighter.
    06-03-11 10:12 AM
    This is true. I mean just the other day I put a pitbull in the nursery down the street, I was like meh why not!
    Ahh too funny.
    06-03-11 10:18 AM
    I use the PB and my 9780 all the time on flights above 10k feet. Cannot have both connected to wifi unless you have 2 GoGo accounts (I fly Delta). But I do bridge over BT and get emails and chat for the whole flight until we go under 10k feet. UMA also works so I can even talk, but explaining that to the flight attendants is not fun :-o
    06-03-11 10:58 AM
    It’s like when you go into a hospital they want you to turn your phone off because it can interfere with medical testing equipment. However in 2007 the Mayo Clinic did a study that found “Calls made on cellular phones have no negative impact on hospital medical devices”

Hospital equipment unaffected by cell phone use, study finds
    06-03-11 03:07 PM
    .. No I cannot tether by bluetooth because sprint has no tethering plans.
    I thought you can use BlackBerry Bridge and tether for free.
    06-03-11 03:45 PM

sure there is enough 'power' but you would need a faulty cell phone that sparked.... and you cant even tell what he uses to look.
    06-03-11 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD