So about a year ago there was massive uproar over how only a few BlackBerries would be able to run OS 6 when it was released. Storm users, Curve users, Tour users were on a rampage.

So now around a year later we hear about OS 7 and RIM basically says that there's no legacy support.

So my question is, does anyone care about missing out on OS 7? There's obviously not many changes and in my opinion it should still be called 6.1, but I feel like people who recently bought a Torch or a 9780 would be bothered by this.
    06-01-11 12:22 PM
    No. I do not care because I realize that the hardware out now cannot handle the new version.
    06-01-11 12:35 PM
    I'm not too concerned either. I will use my Torch until the 3.5 - 4 inch PlayBook comes out, lol.
    06-01-11 01:48 PM
    Since I have two 9630's and two 8330m's in my family all needing to be replaced soon, I just have to go with the it is what it is mentality. I do hope that when QNX handhelds are finally out that they have a much better software support lifespan than BBOS device have.
    06-01-11 02:32 PM
    I haven't found any compelling reason to upgrade my 9650 to OS6, much less worry about OS7.
    06-01-11 02:52 PM
    Nope. I like OS 6, I see no reason to change, I'm happy with my Blackberry, and although I gave it a thought (No OS 7?), it means nothing to me.

So, I'm fine.
    06-01-11 04:49 PM
    The only factor for me is wifi hotspot and even that one has not been confirmed.

Based upon the comments received thus far, looks like OS7 is going to be a yawn feast.
    06-01-11 04:54 PM
    There is absolutely nothing from OS 7 that I have seen / read so far that blows my hair back. I have no interest at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 05:02 PM
    Pretty sure the main draw is the upgraded hardware specs of the devices, not the OS, which is why RIM should have released them 6 months earlier on OS6...
    06-01-11 05:04 PM
    I'm honestly just looking forward to the new hardware in the new devices, not as much the new OS.
    06-01-11 05:14 PM
    The only factor for me is wifi hotspot and even that one has not been confirmed.

Based upon the comments received thus far, looks like OS7 is going to be a yawn feast.
    Same as for me. In fact if a free 3rd party app came out that offered wi-fi hotspot then that would be fine for me.

OS7 won't do anything to improve the apps on offer such as Facebook and Twitter, it won't to anything to bridge the app difference between Blackberry and iPhone/Android. In fact it will just add another platform for BB app developers to work with and given the number of devices spread accross OS4, OS5, and OS6 already in use the new OS may in fact even persuade BB developers to wait for the future of QNX and hold back development of apps.
    06-01-11 05:46 PM
    Not sure until I play with OS7. Perfectly content with 6 right now but that might change after getting some hands-on time with 7.
    06-01-11 07:49 PM
    I'm liking OS 6 on my 9700 right now. I didn't expect OS 7 on my device and like other posters have said, it is more about the jump in hardware. I am planning on getting the 9900 but more for the increased specs and larger keyboard than anything else. But I am somewhat on the fence since I got the playbook. It pairs great with the 9700 and makes me less inclined to jump at a phone upgrade.
    06-01-11 08:02 PM
    Don't care at all. I can appreciate that technology is continuously evolving and things get outdated fast.
    My phone does what it's supposed to without issue, so I will keep it until I get a new phone without complaint.
    06-01-11 08:06 PM
    I'm excited for RIM to put out new devices.. Its good to have the touch screens out there to have a little buzz!! But my personally I am not concerned for me to get OS 7 immediately when it comes available, I just bought a Curve 9330 back in Oct and I am perfectly happy with it.. By the way I am running OS 5.0.0.1030 and its PERFECT for me.. I love OS 5 so much more with my 624mhz processor and 512mb of mem/ram.. Its great! So basically when this phone is on its last leg and can't possibly go anymore then I will get the lastest and greatest BB out there!

06-01-11 09:03 PM
    OS 7 then there will be a OS 8 I was caught up in making sure I always installed the latest builds and had the newest this or that but a few months ago I realized I have my phone just the way I like it, it works great, does not drop calls and I can do some emailing and reading news online. So I have no interest in learning another new system at this time. When I do it will be with a new phone. I am so over trying to keep up with the latest and greatest.
    06-01-11 10:00 PM
    There's a simple statement of inequality that can help you think about an OS upgrade. That's:
    k(new features I want) + l(old bugs fixed) >> m(old features lost) + n(new bugs introduced)

k, l, m, and n are weighting factors that you assign according to your preference.

It's a sad reality that every new OS release introduces some new undesired behavior, either a new bug or a new function that doesn't work the way you wish or an old capability that disappears or changes in some undesired way.
    06-01-11 10:47 PM
    Sorry but I'm getting the 9900 so its not a worry for me either...
    06-01-11 10:59 PM
    I'm content with OS 6, but I wouldn't complain if I was able to get the OS 7 upgrade.
    06-02-11 09:16 AM
    I'm not so concerned about not getting 7. I'd like to at least see one decent revision to 6 that gives us some of the UI changes that was hinted at months ago - specifically, the ability to remove the useless trays from the homescreen.

06-02-11 01:24 PM
    As a Tour user, nope.
    06-02-11 01:40 PM
    I'm using a Curve at the moment, so as far as getting OS7 is concerned, it's not going to happen with my current model (neither is OS6 for that matter).
    06-02-11 05:18 PM
    i do care wifi hotspot option which is not clarified yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-02-11 05:37 PM
    I'm quite content with OS 5 and my minimalist themes.
    06-02-11 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD