Hi all,

I've been experiencing some issues when streaming lengthy videos on my Playbook. All will be well at first, but eventually the video will stop buffering completely and not pick up again. I can fix this by refreshing the page but doing that is fairly annoying. Even if it appears the video has buffered completely, it'll still get stuck, forcing another refresh.

It isn't related to connectivity as I have full connection to my wifi network when it happens. Has anyone else had this problem?
    05-29-11 06:17 PM
    Is this happening on Youtube?
    05-29-11 06:22 PM
    No, not Youtube at all. Sites like Loombo and others like it mainly. Just finished watching on Megavideo uninterrupted though, so I really don't know what the variable is here. I mean obviously it has to do wih those sites specifically but what doesnt the pbook like about them is the question.
    05-29-11 07:09 PM
    Ok. Interesting.
    05-29-11 08:58 PM
    Mine hangs on youtube, and the NFB app. Mostly with HD vids and normal res vids that are a bit longer. Noticed the streaming doesn't work so great overall. Usually just download if its an option. Also get hangs while loading websites, especially this one.
    05-29-11 09:16 PM
    This type of problem depends upon your WIFI connection and/or is server related.
    For example:
    If you have a WIFI signal level from about -55 dBm to -85 dBm.
    Or, your Internet download connection is too slow.
    Or, a router related issue.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-29-11 at 09:29 PM.
    05-29-11 09:26 PM
    Can be sitting 2 inches from the router and still hangs. Bell home networking modem, it is the likely culprit. Just switch to the laptop when this hangs, it works when the playbook don't. Still use the playbook for the majority of my browsing, so it does work most of the time, just not all.
    Last edited by ghost194; 05-29-11 at 09:51 PM.
    05-29-11 09:32 PM
    Wifi signal is fine, though another issue I find is difficulty finding/maintaining a strong signal if I'm not directly by the router, where my netbook for example has a strong signal no matter where I go.

Ran a speed test on PB and got download speeds at 17mbps, though uploads where horrendous.
    05-29-11 10:55 PM
    I too have this issue; I wander if its browser related. Many times my browser stalls about mid-point while loading a new page. If I wait a bit it eventually catches up; not so with video. I have to close the browser and start all over.

I've tried using the playbook site setup for video downloads and more often then not, it times out during downloads.
    05-30-11 11:46 AM
    Same issue randomly here, it's definitely something with the browser because my iPad does not have this issue even if I'm all the way in the living room with a weak signal.
    05-30-11 01:05 PM
    I too have the same issue. One more thing for the update.
    05-30-11 03:35 PM
    I experience this issue now after two udates. Please, BB developers, increase the buffer size of the internet browser because at the curent state it totaly ruins the experience. Thank you.
    08-20-11 04:40 AM
    i have the same problem, be it news clips from local tv stations, the new vevo thing, or you tube.
    i have been looking at it, saying its downloading, taking for ever then about 10 seconds in wants to buffer again, this time it freezes. then all i can do is scroll up and down on page, clicking on something else never works, have to scroll to close and start all over. kind of irritating.
    sometimes even, unrelated, is sometimes the whole browser just shuts down, kicking me out like i decided to close it. that is also irritating.
    08-20-11 06:55 AM
    just did some speedtests, after resetting CISCO high speed cable modem (120Mbps, limited to 60Mbps download and 6 Mbs upload in my current subscription). Have a high performance Sitecom WL350 dualband router connected straight to the modem; set up the 5Ghz radio just as N-signal, the 2.5 Ghz as a g/n combo (also for my Curve 8900, which does not support N, and a bunch of other devices).

On my various W7 laptops (Vaio & Fuiutsu Lifebook) and my W7starter Nokia Netbook the N-sinal works fine, and connection speeds upto 300 Mbps are stable in and around the house, and have been so continiously. Occasional power-pull from the router needed, some of its settings appear to buffer up, it has to many options..

However, as reported in other threads, the playbook only connects at wifi a or g, and appears to receive a lower or no signal where the other devices still work fine. My PB indicating 802.1A connection is quite weird, since my router is not even broadcasting that, so must be a software issue since last or previous update. I recall that at first, end of june, just after buying it here, before last two OS updates it was working much better, as reported elsewhere on Crackberry. Has it ever been clarified why and when this will be resolved?

After reading also these video buffering issues, which I recognise, I decided to do so more speedtesting, using my provider (UPC) testsite from various devices.

Just did a sequenced speedtest on my Vaio (connected on N, 300 Mbps) which gave me these results 60 Mbps downlaod and ~6 Mbps upload:
    [sorry, will not show..]

Simular tst om my PB, with just refreshed modem & router withn 5m (strongest connection), -56dBm, 24 Mbps, network type 802.1a: resulted in 24.86 Mpbs download and 5.15 Mbps upload:
    [will post screenshot from PB browser later if I figure out how]

To me, this is clear: the PB is greatly limiting performance of my fast internet connection, and other devices are not; this should be resolved ASAP in a next update by RIM, including the WiFi satbility issues a lot of people are having!!
    Last edited by E10CDM; 08-21-11 at 08:20 AM.
    08-21-11 08:13 AM
    Simular tst om my PB, with just refreshed modem & router withn 5m (strongest connection), -56dBm, 24 Mbps, network type 802.1a: resulted in 24.86 Mpbs download and 5.15 Mbps upload:
    [will post screenshot from PB browser later if I figure out how]

To me, this is clear: the PB is greatly limiting performance of my fast internet connection, and other devices are not; this should be resolved ASAP in a next update by RIM, including the WiFi satbility issues a lot of people are having!!
    You're lucky you get even that on your PB. I hate having Verizon here. No FiOS and I'm LUCKY if I break 2Mbps http://www.speedtest.net/result/1443365697.png I need a new ISP.

But I pretty much get the same results as the rest of you, though I'm pretty sure it's just my ISP. This doesn't happen when I'm in NY.
    08-21-11 11:05 AM
    You're lucky you get even that on your PB.
    well, these high ISP speeds are "standard" here in the Netherlands, with fiber to the block/home across the country. Very nice indeed, but you get very quickly used to it, so you notice when a device does not perform as advertised. The specs of the PB are wifi N, simple and clear, without limitations, so I see no reason why I should mot reach my 60 Mbps dowmload speed (which I pay €65/month, including IP phone and digital HD TV for, we have a price war going..)

****, even a well working wifi g (with 54 Mbps max) should almost be able to make full use of this nice wide bandwith. So RIM, clean up your act! Think I will file another incident with PB support, and do not let them off the hook as with my HDMI dropping issue...
    08-21-11 01:38 PM
    By accident I discovered how to fix the buffering issues of the PB.

I live in a house and had two routers one Linksys 160NL and one Edimax, each in one corner of the house on diagonal. Unfortunately when streaming, the signal bars on PB faded and I was losing connection. Initially I thought it was the fault of the house and I purchased a third router - Linksys e1000. Setting up the new Linksys router, the e1000 I said let's set only N and not auto. By miracle the buffering issue vanished. The streaming was seamless and sites that I could not watch before were stable. I redid the same to all the routers and now the streaming is great.

In my opinion, there is a thing inside the PB - I do not have proof for this - that defaults the wifi of the PB to lower standards than N in order to save power. My two cents.

I truly hope that this info will help you.
    10-31-11 05:08 AM
    When I have a buffering issue I reset modem and router and the problem vanishes.
    MY experience is that it has nothing to do with pb and everything to do with your connection.
    10-31-11 12:27 PM
    thats my main reason why im here is because i was wondering if anyone else with a playbook is having the problem with the lagging Even when is all the way done buffering.... does anybody know what to do about it? Maybe the update coming next month will fix it? And the rest of the BS it does that gets me ill? Im stoked its got flash and its mostly smooth but i wish theyd had completely finished it before selling it for $500.... i picked it over ipad, bad as$ android, so im gonna stick by it and grow with it like i did from the beginning when android first came out because its just seems more gratifying i guess...thats why i love android over istuff....hurry up february...so does anybody know how to solve this problem we're having with the vids or no?
    Last edited by rastasurf; 01-24-12 at 10:25 AM.
    01-24-12 10:23 AM
    As far as my connection...could be...my house has full bars ,high as it can go, but when i go to my Moms house with full bars it didnt lag, the ONE time that i tried it and that was on only one youtube video so im not positive...i just dont see how i can have full bars at my house and it lags so badly on High Resolution vids mainly.
    01-24-12 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD