Hey gang,

I just started to research tablets and want to get a playbook. I'm not brand loyal or anything, I just want what works. I've had many BB products in the past, and most of them worked great.

It seems as though people either love or hate the PB. However it appears that a lot of the hate comes from lifelong BB haters. I stopped at the nearest Best Buy the other day. The guy at the counter steered me away from the PB and toward android devices. In fact the playbook model on display wasn't working for some reason, and he didn't seem to care why.

My biggest question about the playbook: Am I wasting my time/money getting a playbook if I don't have a BB phone? Couldn't I just check my gmail through the browser?

I also was wondering if I need to be on some 3G data plan that will empty my pockets on a monthly basis. I would of course prefer to go strictly on Wi-Fi.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
    05-29-11 01:47 AM
    The problem with the retail sales at Best Buy and others is that they are just not knowledgeable enough, at least from my experience. They would rather steer users away from the PB due to it's launch issues rather than take the time to educate themselves a little on the power and versatility of these devices. They want the customer to have an easy out of box experience. My experience so far has been that i've only tethered once, otherwise everywhere i go i seem to get on a wifi connection. and absolutely, you can check gmail over wifi, no need for a 3G plan. native email will be coming soon also. Now i take my PB everywhere. Good luck.

I should also point out that you don't need a BB to use a PB, you should be able to tether over an iphone, the BB is a nice to have with the bridging capabilities. Also, the current model is wifi only, so no added data plan expenses. Future models will be 4G capable.
    Last edited by jaspergrizzly; 05-29-11 at 02:08 AM.
    Redbird1 likes this.
    05-29-11 02:00 AM
    I think each person has their own uses and needs for a tablet. Here is a cool article that I have read on the Playbook.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/10...review-618787/
    Redbird1 likes this.
    05-29-11 02:01 AM
    I no longer use a BB phone, but I love my PB none-the-less. So no, you do not need a BB phone to enjoy the PB. Of course, you can not use the Bridge functions, but those are bug-riddled right now anyway. Someone already answered your 3G question, so I won't go into that again.

Just know going into this that it is not an Android or iDevice. Apps are slim pickings right now and it has some software issues that will be resolved "eventually". The hardware is outstanding and the OS is pretty great, but limited by software.

Make an informed decision and you will be fine.
    Redbird1 likes this.
    05-29-11 02:14 AM
    Just know going into this that it is not an Android or iDevice. Apps are slim pickings right now and it has some software issues that will be resolved "eventually". The hardware is outstanding and the OS is pretty great, but limited by software.

Make an informed decision and you will be fine.
    Believe it or not, I'm not big into apps. I'm just looking for a solid device for web & multimedia. The PB is sounding more and more like a winner.

Thanks for your input!
    05-29-11 02:25 AM
    what web and multimedia are you looking for? hulu/netflix? your own movies and music? anymore specifics
    05-29-11 02:31 AM
    what web and multimedia are you looking for? hulu/netflix? your own movies and music? anymore specifics
    I'll take anything. I'm not picky. Netflix would be nice.

In general, a good web browser and camera would probably take care of 80% of my needs. That's why I can't justify buying a $800 xoom. Way too much "Stuff" that I'd never use.
    05-29-11 02:44 AM
    xoom is 599 for the wifi

and hulu and neflix are not available on the PB which was why i was asking. The browser has quirks but works. Camera is very good on the PB too so you are good there
    05-29-11 03:03 AM
    You sound a lot like me. My primary uses are web and media, then games and apps. It's true that Netflix and Hulu are not working right now, but there is a user named ether2105 here that has a huge selection of movies for download to tide you over, and YouTube through the browser works like a champ. Netflix will come... eventually.

The size of the PB is perfect for consuming media, IMHO. The camera is pretty decent at 5MP on the back, but the video recording is pretty great, and easier to hold for video recording than an iPad due to the size and weight.
    05-29-11 03:26 AM
    A warning on the camera(s) - no flash and no autofocus.
    05-29-11 09:06 AM
    @F2: it is not a biggie to me. Because I found myself awkward when I take pics on a tablet lol
    05-29-11 10:23 AM
    @F2: it is not a biggie to me. Because I found myself awkward when I take pics on a tablet lol
    Trying to use the tablet for picture taking reminds me of the old days - my dad was a professional photographer and used Speed Graphic (Produced by Graflex in Rochester, New York, the Speed Graphic is commonly called the most famous press camera). It took a study hand at weddings.
    05-29-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD