Found an article :
    Veeda News: 10 reasons to not pass up the BlackBerry PlayBook
    Today I came across an article written by a Don Reisinger for a website called Eweek.com in which he gives 10 reasons to not buy a BlackBerry PlayBook. Not only were his arguments incredibly biased but also just as incorrect. Therefore, I decided to make a rebuttal to his article and go one by one on each and every one of this 10 points to show why he's either incorrect or basing everything on an opinion that holds no water. I almost feel embarrassed that I gave that website page views but hopefully my Adblock didn't allow them to get any revenue from me.

So without further ado, lets take a look at10 reasons why you should NOT pass up the BlackBerry PlayBook.

1. The iPad 2 isn't better.

The iPad 2 is better than the PlayBook in what way? The author stated absolutely no facts whatsoever about it being better. I, however, will list some that show the PlayBook is better.

The PlayBook boasts an OMAP 4430 processor, which has a higher clockspeed than Apple's A5, as well as 1GB of RAM as opposed to the undisclosed amount that the iPad 2 is running. The larger screen size has been seen as a negative by many people, some saying that the iPad for them is a stay-at-home tablet because they're not willing to lug it around. Even CNET's executive editor, Molly Wood, said at CES during the Next Big Thing presentation that when she was packing for CES, she didn't take the iPad because there was no sense in bringing something so big along when her laptop did more.

The PlayBook's Flash and HTML5 capability allow for a much richer web experience and the true multitasking of the tablet, in which apps do not stop running in the background even though they're minimized, makes the tablet a much better computer replacement than the iPad could ever be. Add to this the fact that there is a native HDMI out without the need to pay an extra 40 dollars for a dongle.

Aside from the GPU, nothing on the iPad is better.

2. The 4G option may be coming but most people want WiFi

Believe it or not, some people would like to have a shiny new gadget without paying a monthly fee to a carrier. There is no reason to buy a 4G PlayBook unless you're heavily on the go and are never near a WiFi hotspot, which is unlikely. For the businessman constantly on planes, trains, or what have you, I could see this being a valid point but for the average consumer, the escalated price, wait time, and monthly fee isn't necessary especially if they have a BlackBerry or a phone that is capable of making a mobile hotspot.

When the Motorola Xoom was released on Verizon, many people criticized it for not having a WiFi only version. Many did not buy the tablet especially for this reason stating that they would rather wait for a WiFi only version to become available before they committed to it. This alone proves to me that many people believe they have no need to pay an additional monthly fee and that is why it's actually more important to release a WiFi only version first even if a 3G or 4G version is still in the works. People want options and they get that with the PlayBook.

3. The 7inch display is not a problem

The smaller display is a plus as I've highlighted before in number one. 7inch displays are perfect for users who are heavily on the go, would like to read an ebook with one hand, college students who have to deal with insufferably small desks, and those that want an item they can carry to their presentation and quickly hook up to a screen.

4. The enterprise will love the OS

The author speaks of QNX as if something RIM just pulled out of thin air without it ever proving itself in business. QNX has been around since 1982 and has proven itself tremendously for its extremely efficient management of resources, small size, and versatility. It's been used in vehicles, by General Electric to handle turbine controlled systems, by Cisco in their software, and even by NASA for use in the ISS. It's proven reliability, security, and power and those are things that businesses know. This was the point where it became entirely clear that the author knew nothing about the software or the tablet in general.

5. There are apps aplenty

Developers have been working day and night to get apps out for the PlayBook using all sorts of different programming languages that are compatible with the OS. Among these include AIR, Flash, WebWorks, HTML5, and more. Now RIM has even confirmed that Android apps, compatible with Android 2.3, will also be usable on the tablet as well as the apps that are already available on the BlackBerry phones. Add to this the fact that the full browser allows you to utilize every app on the web and suddenly the need for apps gets dramatically lower. A lot of apps on the iPad and iPhone merely exist because the browser is incapable of using the web version natively.

6. Android based devices are only sort of compelling

I'll sort of agree with this one. Android devices are sort of compelling but consider this. Honeycomb isn't ready for primetime and this has been proven with how shaky the Motorola Xoom launched. Also, Google has decided to not make the Honeycomb OS open source because they're afraid of compatibility issues. QNX is tried and true whereas Honeycomb is actually the OS that is fresh and buyers will be wary of that.

7. The timing wasn't off

While RIM could surely have gotten the device out sooner if they wanted to, I'm quite happy they took their time with it. Everything seems smooth, functional, and has quality screaming out of it. With regards to the iPad 2 release, RIM made a smart decision of backing off for a while. If they had announced before the iPad 2 all of the hype over the PlayBook would have died down as every tech blog and media outlet would be talking about the iPad 2 instead in search of ratings. If they had announced right after the iPad 2 they faced making the PlayBook look like a me-too tablet which it's not. Giving one month before releasing allowed the hype over the iPad 2 to die down and now the spotlight is on RIM to deliver a quality product.

8. The corporate world probably doesn't even know what a Cius is.

The Cisco Cius is a device that I had never even heard about before today. After doing a quick search it seems that an article on it was published by ZDNet in June of 2010 and since then it doesn't seem like it's gotten much buzz. RIM, on the other hand, has been meeting with countless organizations showing them the power of the PlayBook and what it can do for their business, many of which are already outfitted with BES and use BlackBerry as their phones.

Also, don't assume Android means better. Android's security woes are tremendous and there's a reason why Android hasn't caught on in the business side. That may very well be a huge negative for this tablet not to mention that it doesn't follow suit with the other Android tablets we're seeing which feature a 10.1" display and a Tegra 2 processor. This may very well be the only thing Honeycomb supports at the moment and might be why it's been iced by Google. If that's the case, there won't be Honeycomb for this Cisco tablet.

Customer trials are due to begin in the third quarter of 2011 which by then, any business that wanted a tablet would have found one in the PlayBook. Also, didn't the author make a huge fuss about not having connectivity? I didn't see any mention of a radio or carrier support for this tablet.

9. It costs the same as every other tablet if not less

This argument simply holds no water at all. It's priced the same as the iPad which we mentioned above how the PlayBook was better. The Motorola Xoom features the same price for it's 32GB version but offers no cheaper 16GB alternative on the WiFi side. There's more value to be had with the PlayBook and the fact that they managed to price it the same is astonishing.

10. The PlayBook has more killer features than the iPad
    The PlayBook boasts better specs, a better OS, Flash support, ease of use for developers, an uncompromised browsing experience, and the ability to multitask in a true way. Add to this the ability to run Android apps on an OS that is not Android, the smaller, more portable size, the 4G connectivity, and the integration with a BlackBerry smartphone and you've got way more bang for your buck than you get with the iPad.

So there you have it. Ten reasons why I feel you should look into the BlackBerry PlayBook. I'd love to hear your rebuttals to these arguments in the comments below.
    05-27-11 04:43 AM
    Long post but NONE! Bad thing about the Cius is it is Android.
    Last edited by Threefive; 05-27-11 at 04:51 AM.
    05-27-11 04:47 AM
    nice share
    05-27-11 05:37 AM
    I stopped reading after number 1.

The fact that you can't admit the Ipad 2, at its present state, isn't better than the playbook at its current state is just really thickheaded.

Listing a bunch of specs doesn't really matter.. The xoom boys tried that..look where they are.
    05-27-11 07:01 AM
    I stopped reading after number 1.

The fact that you can't admit the Ipad 2, at its present state, isn't better than the playbook at its current state is just really thickheaded.

Listing a bunch of specs doesn't really matter.. The xoom boys tried that..look where they are.
    The fact you can't admit that the iPad 2 is not better for everyone shows you remain biased and this thread certainly was not for you.

Specs Are not everything, but one key "spec" is form factor, and the iPad2 in its current form makes it far from my first choice, I'd sooner take the dud of a samsung tablet over the iPad2 due to size

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 07:55 AM
    The fact you can't admit that the iPad 2 is not better for everyone shows you remain biased and this thread certainly was not for you.

Specs Are not everything, but one key "spec" is form factor, and the iPad2 in its current form makes it far from my first choice, I'd sooner take the dud of a samsung tablet over the iPad2 due to size

+1

I completely agree. I mainly bought the PB because of it's size and I know it has some good potential. It can slip into my jacket pocket with the POP case on it and it's hardly even noticeable. I would never be able to do anything like that with the iPad2.
    05-27-11 08:25 AM
    I definitely agree about the size... the PlayBook is a perfect size for what I want out of a tablet. But I wonder how devastating it would be to the market in general if Apple released a 7" iPad?
    05-27-11 08:30 AM
    To the reviewer (not the OP)

1. The iPad 2 isn't better.
    The larger screen size has been seen as a negative by many people, some saying that the iPad for them is a stay-at-home tablet because they're not willing to lug it around...
    …..The larger screen size is seen as a positive my many people as well, so what’s your point? That doesn’t make it better or worse.

2. The 4G option may be coming but most people want WiFi
    Believe it or not, some people would like to have a shiny new gadget without paying a monthly fee to a carrier. There is no reason to buy a 4G PlayBook unless you're heavily on the go and are never near a WiFi hotspot, which is unlikely. People want options and they get that with the PlayBook.
    …what does it even mean when you are self contradicting yourself? People want option and there is no 4G playbook, and so people get option on their playbook,,,wait…wtf??!!

3. The 7inch display is not a problem
    The smaller display is a plus as I've highlighted before in number one.
    ..SO you just want to reiterate the first useless point so that you can fill a list of ten things.

4. The enterprise will love the OS
    QNX has been around since 1982 and has proven itself tremendously for its extremely efficient management of resources, small size, and versatility.
    …and stuck in 1982 mode. What enterprise are adopting the playbook?

5. There are apps aplenty
    Developers have been working day and night to get apps out for the PlayBook using all sorts of different programming languages that are compatible with the OS.
    …don’t even want to go there. The current availability of playbook apps is the WORST of any given tablet

6. Android based devices are only sort of compelling
    QNX is tried and true whereas Honeycomb is actually the OS that is fresh and buyers will be wary of that
    .…rightttt? and everything that runs on QNX is perfect. Like the video chat app that drains your battery if you do not accept user agreement...lmflao

7. The timing wasn't off
    While RIM could surely have gotten the device out sooner if they wanted to, I'm quite happy they took their time with it. Everything seems smooth, functional, and has quality screaming out of it. Giving one month before releasing allowed the hype over the iPad 2 to die down and now the spotlight is on RIM to deliver a quality product.
    …everything is smooth, functional and Rim delivering a quality product….don’t want to argue with you here but what are you smoking

8. The corporate world probably doesn't even know what a Cius is.
    ....and probably don’t care

9. It costs the same as every other tablet if not less
    There's more value to be had with the PlayBook and the fact that they managed to price it the same is astonishing.
    …..then you are very easily astonished.

10. The PlayBook has more killer features than the iPad
    Add to this the ability to run Android apps on an OS that is not Android, the 4G connectivity, and the integration with a BlackBerry smartphone.
    …..my playbook doesn’t run Android apps, do not have 4G connectivity and integration with the smartphone is pathetic
    Last edited by pkcable; 05-27-11 at 10:43 AM. Reason: content edit (trolling!)
    ibantxuyn and howarmat like this.
    05-27-11 08:43 AM
    I definitely agree about the size... the PlayBook is a perfect size for what I want out of a tablet. But I wonder how devastating it would be to the market in general if Apple released a 7" iPad?
    Would that device be Flash capable?

It's not mentioned very often but the QNX OS being able to stream flash for hours while concurrently running other applications seamlessly speaks to the PB's potential and robustness.

Gotta go. More highly secure email coming.
    05-27-11 08:50 AM
    If you believe Flash is the savior, then obviously an iPad is not for you. Some of us, however, don't care for Flash, and don't consider the ability to run Flash a selling point.
    05-27-11 09:21 AM
    Some of us, however, don't care for Flash, and don't consider the ability to run Flash a selling point.
    Some don't but most do.
    05-27-11 09:36 AM
    I can't find the article I read yesterday but I will. It explained why 90 of web deveopers are designing with the ipad in mind, not platforms that use flash. I'll find it and link to it. Flash is slowly dying, that's not to say I wouldn't like the option though.

Edit, this isnt the article but it's another good read Can Flash be saved? — Scobleizer

It's not mentioned very often but the QNX OS being able to stream flash for hours while concurrently running other applications seamlessly speaks to the PB's potential and robustness.

Gotta go. More highly secure email coming.
    05-27-11 09:55 AM
    Some don't but most do.
    If this is true, then Flash-enabled tablets (PlayBook, Xoom, Flyer, Galaxy Tab, Transformer, etc) should be outselling the iPad/iPad 2 on a monthly basis.
    05-27-11 09:55 AM
    edited out by pk
    Keep in mind his was a rebuttle to another poorly written 10 reason article.

But I do agree very very few of these 10 reason articles provide an interesting point of view

05-27-11 10:10 AM
    If this is true, then Flash-enabled tablets (PlayBook, Xoom, Flyer, Galaxy Tab, Transformer, etc) should be outselling the iPad/iPad 2 on a monthly basis.
    The technology is new compared to the Apple goulag system. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm discovering that the PB is best utilized by completely forgetting the Apple UI paradigm in favor of the much more subtle QNX one.
    05-27-11 10:15 AM
    The technology is new compared to the Apple goulag system. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm discovering that the PB is best utilized by completely forgetting the Apple UI paradigm in favor of the much more subtle QNX one.
    They would also have to forget the BlackBerry phone UI since it lacks Flash also.
    05-27-11 10:20 AM
    posted deleted by pk.
    You certainly didn't read the post clearly

Sam quoted another "writer" who inturn was rebutting a "writer" who gave 10 reasons not to buy the ipad

05-27-11 10:22 AM
    If you believe Flash is the savior, then obviously an iPad is not for you. Some of us, however, don't care for Flash, and don't consider the ability to run Flash a selling point.
    The nice thing is, I have the option of turning Flash off or not going to Flash sites if I want. People who own iPad's don't get that option. Of course their only defense is "I don't want Flash" when in all actuality several iPad owners that I know either jailbreak their iPad's to get a limited Flash experience through "Frash" or they just have that defeated puppy dog look on their face when they try going to a Flash site and can't display it.
    05-27-11 10:25 AM
    You certainly didn't read the post clearly

Sam quoted another "writer" who inturn was rebutting a "writer" who gave 10 reasons not to buy the ipad

But do you agree that the OP quoted an article with no lead in or follow up of any kind. Without any form of "commentary" from the OP he "seems" to be implying that he fully supports the article and the 10 reasons listed within.

Regardless the points, as represented by the OP, are purly subjective.
    05-27-11 10:26 AM
    They would also have to forget the BlackBerry phone UI since it lacks Flash also.
    Most would consider adding robust capability to an OS to be a good thing. Apparently, some don't.

A little thing that I've been doing is creating my own micro-apps. I place bookmarks on the home page and then add them to the favourites tab. Want to take a quick check of your local news? "Pop" open the favs tab, pop your "micro-app" and presto chango there's the FULL web sight.
    05-27-11 10:35 AM
    The nice thing is, I have the option of turning Flash off or not going to Flash sites if I want. People who own iPad's don't get that option. Of course their only defense is "I don't want Flash" when in all actuality several iPad owners that I know either jailbreak their iPad's to get a limited Flash experience through "Frash" or they just have that defeated puppy dog look on their face when they try going to a Flash site and can't display it.
    Actually in addition to the "I want Flash," I've also heard "it just doesn't matter." It's not unlike the people that say "I absolutely must have a physical keyboard." I may not find their reasoning convincing, but to each their own.

As for the "defeated puppy dog look," maybe it's time you got some new friends.
    05-27-11 10:36 AM
    1. The size is just right;
    2. It supports Flash;
    3. Word, Powerpoint and Excel to Go work great;
    4. Adobe Reader works pretty good;
    5. There's a new Zip app;
    6. I can use Outlook Web Access with the Browser for my university email;
    7. I can use the Browser to get onto the learning management system at the university;
    8. I can use Adobe Connect to view Breeze sessions;
    9. I can get my personal email via the browser; and
    10. It's just cool!

I never expected all of the apps to roll out with the PB. Although they seem to be trickling out. However, it does everything I need right now. I have taught 2 Grad classes already using only the PB connected to an HDMI port and it worked great. Now all of my students are buying them. Rock On BB!!!
    05-27-11 10:37 AM
    I think the PB is a great tablet, but this particular article is way too overly biased. If anything, articles like this only make the PB look bad not better. It has a reverse effect when you feel the need to brag about something, just sayin'
    05-27-11 10:41 AM
    kind of a stupid review IMO, starting from point #1.

The PlayBook boasts an OMAP 4430 processor, which has a higher clockspeed than Apple's A5

last i checked they're both 1Ghz, i even went on texas instruments website directly to see - if the playbook had the 4460 processor which is able to run up to 1.5Ghz then that statement would be true.

as for point #2, most people may want wifi but at least the ipad gives you the option of which to get so i'm not entirely sure what their argument is there.

and lastely, Apple signed a deal with Adobe to convert flash to HTML 5 and its supposed to come through in october from what i've heard.
    AppleInsider | Adobe releases Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool to support Apple's iOS

don't get me wrong i love my playbook but if you're going to make a review at least make it....slightly unbiased?
    05-27-11 10:43 AM
    Most would consider adding robust capability to an OS to be a good thing. Apparently, some don't.
    Now you're trying to change the argument. I never said adding Flash wasn't a good thing; I merely suggested people's actual behavior didn't line up with your assertion that most people care about Flash. Sure, it would be nice to have, like it would be nice to have my own Citation Mustang. But I'm not losing sleep over it, and I think most iOS/BlackBerry/WP7 users feel the same way. If they didn't, these devices wouldn't be so successful.
    05-27-11 10:44 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD