Hey

I was thinking, with these free/paid apps and/or themes available for blackberry, do they "keep/sell" info (emails, texts, contacts, etc.)?? Especially with free apps?

thanks

edit: i guess this question should be more aimed at developers?
    Last edited by ev44; 06-24-11 at 10:35 PM.
    05-25-11 02:49 PM
    I'm pretty certain it'd be illegal to sell any form of customer information, could be wrong though.
    I very much doubt anyone does this though.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-25-11 05:25 PM
    Nothing is really free.

It takes time and resources to develop and distribute Apps. In some case, they are promotional, you may be tempted to upgrade.

In other cases, the revenue stream comes from collecting and selling intel. That wall of text you "Approve" will set up exactly what you are agreeing too.
    05-25-11 05:26 PM
    I have heard of some apps from Jared Co that have some sort of trojan spam thing. They are nice free apps but they can cause you to get spam messages and such. I would do a search of crackberry about it first though to make sure.
    05-25-11 05:28 PM
    Reed is spot on in what goes on... There are always walls of text in an agreement that you have to say yes to. Before saying OK or YES read the text which nobody does if you are truly worried.

PS Also to let you know for future rederence if you have a question specific to apps please post your question here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/

That way you tend to get more responses this way more specific to this topic. This of course goes with any topic on the forum since there are so many of them and it saves the Mods from moving your thread there anyway. Thank you.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 05-25-11 at 06:48 PM.
    05-25-11 06:19 PM
    I'm pretty certain it'd be illegal to sell any form of customer information, could be wrong though.
    I very much doubt anyone does this though.

It is not illegal and it is done everyday. It depends on Privacy Policies. More so, how long they stick to a Privacy Policy before they give in and sell the info. Why do you think they ask what your interests are and so on.
    05-25-11 08:35 PM
    Yes, many can and do - well, they get what info they canm which thankfully on BlackBerry isn't generally a lot. Which is why you need to be careful with permissions.
    Mostly I don't think you have to worry about them getting more than your email address.
    ev44 likes this.
    05-25-11 11:43 PM
    Yes, many can and do - well, they get what info they canm which thankfully on BlackBerry isn't generally a lot. Which is why you need to be careful with permissions.
    Mostly I don't think you have to worry about them getting more than your email address.
    interesting...but some apps asks for your permissions to access gps, emails and phone logs...i forgot what are the other ones...
    but phone logs, email, and gps?
    06-12-11 01:15 PM
    What about the application permissions it asks when you install a new app??

And also the "trusted application?" What's the scoop with that?

06-21-11 02:14 AM
    anybody?
    i guess this question should be more aimed at developers?
    06-24-11 10:34 PM
    Well the answer to your question is yes, some apps ask for those things.
    Trusted status grants all permissions I think.

06-24-11 10:38 PM
    Here's an interesting article warning about installing apps. What you compromise in your privacy and security (developers for Apple & Android appear to be the biggest offenders):

Smartphone apps: Is your privacy protected?
    dosto likes this.
    07-09-11 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD