Sorry to be negative, - I consider myself to be a Crackberry addict. But we seriously need some better apps. I have hardly seen any on app world that are both useful and working. People give 4 or 5 stars then proceed to list all the improvements that need to be made. The argument that having Flash compensates for fewer apps just doesn't cut it. I use iPads at work and whilst I hate all the iTunes sh*t, the apps are amazing. Undeniably. Duck Hunt and seeing more adverts is not sufficient compensation. As far as I am aware, even with the Android App player, app developers still need to make the conscious decision to adapt their apps for the playbook. It is not like we are going to simply be given free reign at the Android App Store (I am happy to be corrected on this) and if RIM haven't even rolled out native email yet, what is the time scale for this anyway? Once again, sorry but the situation is starting to bother me and I needed to get this out my system. I give it a month before I am jumping ship to a different tablet, even though I am a 9780 user.
    Last edited by ODAAT; 05-24-11 at 04:58 PM.
    trsbbs likes this.
    05-24-11 04:56 PM
    Sorry to be negative, - I consider myself to be a Crackberry addict. But we seriously need some better apps. I have hardly seen any on app world that are both useful and working. People give 4 or 5 stars then proceed to list all the improvements that need to be made. The argument that having Flash compensates for fewer apps just doesn't cut it. I use iPads at work and whilst I hate all the iTunes sh*t, the apps are amazing. Undeniably. Duck Hunt and seeing more adverts is not sufficient compensation. As far as I am aware, even with the Android App player, app developers still need to make the conscious decision to adapt their apps for the playbook. It is not like we are going to simply be given free reign at the Android App Store (I am happy to be corrected on this) and if RIM haven't even rolled out native email yet, what is the time scale for this anyway? Once again, sorry but the situation is starting to bother me and I needed to get this out my system. I give it a month before I am jumping ship to a different tablet, even though I am a 9780 user.
    Agreed this thing shouldnt have been released without all these features, the androip app player and the native email should have been launch items, its almost like buying a pc or mac that doesnt have any software, no matter how great the hardware is if there is no apps or software for it it makes no sense, the basic apps arent even here, and If I was R.I.M and I owned TAT. I would have launched with a minimum 10 TAT apps even their own company isnt well represented in app world, so far rim=Fail. They might have sold 250k playbooks but they will end up on ebay or back in the stores soon if they dont bring apps soon.
    05-24-11 05:02 PM
    As you can tell from one or two of my other recent threads it starting to really wear on me as well.

It's like having a fantastic stereo system but all you can pickup is AM radio.

Tim
    05-24-11 05:02 PM
    As you can tell from one or two of my other recent threads it starting to really wear on me as well.

It's like having a fantastic stereo system but all you can pickup is AM radio.

Tim
    Ive been using my playbook mainly as an oversized mp3 player for the most part, thats been its best function so far. No cross platform I.M or videochat is getting ridiculous.
    05-24-11 05:08 PM
    FYI: I saw a tweet from the guys at @implus saying they had submitted their app to RIM for approval. At least that should take care of the cross platform chat question..

Ive been using my playbook mainly as an oversized mp3 player for the most part, thats been its best function so far. No cross platform I.M or videochat is getting ridiculous.
    ODAAT and computerwiz908 like this.
    05-24-11 05:44 PM
    feel free to make your own great app, bein how its so easy an all
    05-24-11 05:49 PM
    Might as well just jump ship now, why wait?
    05-24-11 05:58 PM
    Might as well just jump ship now, why wait?
    Why wait? Because I just spent a serious amount of money on this kit (serious for me anyway) and I can't afford to throw money away lightly. i also figure a month is long enough to see how things pan out with the UK launch hopefully improving things.

Good news that implus are coming on board. Hopefully more of the existing hardcore BB app developers will follow soon (Bellshare?!?!), rather than the hobbyists we seem to have at the moment. A password manager isn't too much to ask.
    05-24-11 06:10 PM
    Why wait? Because I just spent a serious amount of money on this kit (serious for me anyway) and I can't afford to throw money away lightly. i also figure a month is long enough to see how things pan out with the UK launch hopefully improving things.

Good news that implus are coming on board. Hopefully more of the existing hardcore BB app developers will follow soon (Bellshare?!?!), rather than the hobbyists we seem to have at the moment. A password manager isn't too much to ask.
    there is an app you can use as a password manager already.

try wm wallet, ok so its mainly meant for FTP password storage, but hey that doesnt mean ya can use it, at least for the time being.
    05-24-11 06:14 PM
    You can't afford to throw money away today, yet 1 month from now you can... What's the difference? If you are switching to a platform you know you will like then there is no money being thrown away (re-sale value covers most of the expense anyhow). If you are switching to a platform and you have no clue if you will like it, then you are essentially repeating the mistake aren't you...
    05-24-11 06:15 PM
    You can't afford to throw money away today, yet 1 month from now you can... What's the difference? If you are switching to a platform you know you will like then there is no money being thrown away (re-sale value covers most of the expense anyhow). If you are switching to a platform and you have no clue if you will like it, then you are essentially repeating the mistake aren't you...
    You are missing the point completely. i will probably like this platform if it had better apps.
    05-24-11 06:20 PM
    I'm telling you it won't meet your criteria within 1 month. Guaranteed. Impossible. NDK would have to release roughly today for enough application support to be RELEASED within 1 month and that is not happening.

So I think you are missing the point... What would keep you on the device within 1 month will not happen.

So we will see your "goodbye" thread 1 month from now.
    05-24-11 06:28 PM
    I'm telling you it won't meet your criteria within 1 month. Guaranteed. Impossible. NDK would have to release roughly today for enough application support to be RELEASED within 1 month and that is not happening.

So I think you are missing the point... What would keep you on the device within 1 month will not happen.

So we will see your "goodbye" thread 1 month from now.
    Having just read the latest post on the front page, I think you are right. If it has come to this- we are having to do our own campaigning- a year won't be long enough. This thing is going on eBay. Thanks for helping me decide.
    05-24-11 06:33 PM
    You are missing the point completely. i will probably like this platform if it had better apps.
    i swear i should be getting paid for saying this but im not. BE PATIENT! the uk one hasn't even launched yet! do you really think the ipad was butterflies and rainbows out of the box?! no it wasn't but the ipad has one advantage ios. the over drawn out ipod touch os that was made to be the "jack of all trades". it is far from an expert at any. **** honeycomb is compatable with most of the current android apps but it can hardly keep gun bros running descently. but honeycomb like QNX is a new tablet os. it new it has problems they will deal with it we all need to settle down and remember new has new issues. blackberry has a forum you can go complain on. BlackBerry Support Community Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-24-11 06:36 PM
    feel free to make your own great app, bein how its so easy an all
    You took the words right out of my mouth...
    Toddboy71 likes this.
    05-24-11 07:38 PM
    I cant believe how many of you feel you are entitled to so much when it comes to this device. You are early adopters on a brand new product line running a brand new OS. Seriously, welcome to the waiting game. I find you all laughable.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    05-24-11 09:26 PM
    You took the words right out of my mouth...
    no one said making apps was easy! if anything, the poor quality of the majority of apps I tried makes me think that making a good app (and not something that looks like a high school programming homework..) must be pretty hard actually!
    05-24-11 10:29 PM
    no one said making apps was easy! if anything, the poor quality of the majority of apps I tried makes me think that making a good app (and not something that looks like a high school programming homework..) must be pretty hard actually!
    Most of the apps I've seen (so far) look like a grade schooler used a crayon to do the graphics and such

My ADD prevents me from doing code for apps but I'd love to team up with a developer and do all the graphics and artwork...
    05-25-11 05:10 PM
    Patience is still a virtue.
    05-25-11 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD