Seriously, it looks like RIM is so pre-occupied with their offical launch around the world that they're not

1.) communicating with the current owners who have a PB.
    2.) rolling out any updates (not even minor ones) to fix some issues
    3.) nothing on the app front, not even internal RIM apps.

I love the PB and my return date has expired so I'm just praying that RIM is going to improve, fix and resolve a lot of the issues on the PB. $500 dollars is a lot of money for a tablet that's not going anywhere. If it doesn't live up to it's potential then it's truly a waste.

I took a leap of faith and went with RIM, I hope I don't get disappointed.
    05-23-11 08:49 AM
    You bought a product from RIM. They are happy to have you as a customer, and I'm sure they thank you. However, you aren't entitled to constant updates. I'm sorry, you just aren't.

They have come out with a great number of updates already.
    05-23-11 08:59 AM
    A great number?? How have you gotten this "great number" of updates? There has been a total of 2 on a tablet that is half done...at best. I personally feel let down by RIM, I am sure others feel let down also. There is also a part of me that realizes the potential this product has and are willing to wait it out. That's my take on things, flame me if you wish.
    shakeymg likes this.
    05-23-11 09:11 AM
    Seriously, it looks like RIM is so pre-occupied with their offical launch around the world that they're not

I love the PB and my return date has expired so I'm just praying that RIM is going to improve, fix and resolve a lot of the issues on the PB. $500 dollars is a lot of money for a tablet that's not going anywhere. If it doesn't live up to it's potential then it's truly a waste.

I think you're expectations of what RIM owes you as a device owner are a bit inflated. I also think your updates are coming. To be fair, the PlayBook is exactly what RIM promised it would be at launch, so you knew what you were getting when you purchased, and even if you didn't, you could have returned it.
    05-23-11 09:16 AM
    Unreal. It has been just a few weeks since the last update. Turning this into "RIM forgot about us" is undeniably absurd.
    lowtrac, mapsonburt and cognatus like this.
    05-23-11 09:16 AM
    It's been a long weekend in Canada for two weeks :P

I'm going to go with the "quality over quantity" opinion. I would prefer to have a major update every month than a bug-fix update every day. If RIM releases the next update and it's just bug fixes or something, let the flaming begin, but if it's as big of an update as the last one, it's worth the wait, since that's about as big of an update as iOS gets when there's a new iPhone! :P
    05-23-11 09:19 AM
    RIM should use every opportunity to communicate with users.
    05-23-11 09:26 AM
    A great number?? How have you gotten this "great number" of updates? There has been a total of 2 on a tablet that is half done...at best. I personally feel let down by RIM, I am sure others feel let down also. There is also a part of me that realizes the potential this product has and are willing to wait it out. That's my take on things, flame me if you wish.
    2 updates in a month is a whole lot more than any competition. Google it if you don't believe me.

You know what you are buying when you buy the PlayBook. If you feel disappointed that they aren't pushing out weekly updates, it's your own fault. No other company does that. Why would RIM?

Android, email by summer. Probably the end. You knew this already tho.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    05-23-11 09:26 AM

LOL what would you expect them to say? Thanks for buying our wifi tablet, we are working on updates. Updates are coming?

All this information is already public knowledge. Just because you buy a company product doesn't mean you have a special VIP relationship with them.
    05-23-11 09:29 AM
    Just a new thank you note would help.
    Last edited by pbfan; 05-23-11 at 09:42 AM.
    05-23-11 09:35 AM
    RIM is a large company, I highly doubt they had to pull coders off of the updates team to help with marketing and shipping for the global launch.

They haven't forgotten about us. If anything the global launch just reaffirms their commitment to delivering a great product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 09:42 AM
    I got the PB early because I couldn't wait but I sure knew what I was buying, RIM stated lost of features coming this summer for Playbook. I'm not getting disappointed until summer is over.
    Just relax and enjoy what is working for you now.
    05-23-11 10:06 AM
    When I got the tablet I knew what I was buying into but this isn't a phone or a mp3 player, it's not a static device. It's a tablet, a mobile computing device,

I'm not complaining about no native calendar, contact, or mail app (I knew this before hand)

I'm not complaining about no apps (It's a new system, I don't it except it to have XXX apps out the door)

I'm talking about system issues such as:

No native file management - I can't delete or rename things on the PB

native Movie player - can't remember last location

native music player - can't remember last location

No custom tabs for app management

Web browser hangs from time to time

5 minute on screen, can't change it never off

Web scrolling, if you scroll where an ad or link is, the page will not scroll or it will accidently go to that page.

Some of these things shouldn't be that hard to resolve.
    05-23-11 10:17 AM
    I know this much, we are all doing better with our spelling, since the lack of spell checker. I wouldn't expect weekly hugs from RIM executives to show their gratitude for individual purchases of the playbook. I think you would need to buy 100k for a hug from Mike. I would expect the next big update go come June 19th when the UK launch takes place. I hear people looking for Kindle, Netflix and Hulu, but I never heard RIM promise these things at launch. I am sure that by the end of the summer the playbook will have a much better selection of apps as well as some of the OS issues resolved.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 05-23-11 at 10:24 AM.
    05-23-11 10:22 AM

Weird- they gave me turn down service and left a cute Playbook shaped mint on my pillow. Maybe they forgot about you.

Seriously, get a clue. So far the product is exactly where RIM said it would be.
    05-23-11 10:25 AM
    I have been pretty supportive of the playbook but I am getting tired of waiting around for things that should have been in the os from day one such as spell check. The most annoying for me is my wi-fi that keeps dropping even when in in the same room as my router. I will be putting it away until they come out with a proper update. I'm just glad I have another tablet that is bullet proof and doesn't let me down as the pkaybook has.
    05-23-11 10:25 AM
    When I got the tablet I knew what I was buying into but this isn't a phone or a mp3 player, it's not a static device. It's a tablet, a mobile computing device,

I'm not complaining about no native calendar, contact, or mail app (I knew this before hand)

I'm not complaining about no apps (It's a new system, I don't it except it to have XXX apps out the door)

I'm talking about system issues such as:

No native file management - I can't delete or rename things on the PB

native Movie player - can't remember last location

native music player - can't remember last location

No custom tabs for app management

Web browser hangs from time to time

5 minute on screen, can't change it never off

Web scrolling, if you scroll where an ad or link is, the page will not scroll or it will accidently go to that page.

Some of these things shouldn't be that hard to resolve.
    Not hard to resolve? Do you have any clue what SW stacks are and how they work? Opening up even the smallest bit of code to fix the seemingly tiniest issue can break parts of the code that you did not anticipate. So they do regression testing on every single change, which takes time. Especially with a brand new OS....
    05-23-11 10:28 AM
    Forgot us? No.
    They've been thriving to give the best update that they can.
    RIM just got a slap in the face with all the 'recall' news even though it is irrelevant.
    After all, besides PlayBook, they need to concentrate on Bold 99xx and others for launch also. Wait for it if u can, or return it if u find other suitable device.

ps: this made me remember for a song by SongADayMan for iPhone 4... "If u don't want an iPhone 4, don't buy it. If u buy but don't like it, bring it back"
    05-23-11 11:07 AM
    I got the PB early because I couldn't wait but I sure knew what I was buying, RIM stated lost of features coming this summer for Playbook. I'm not getting disappointed until summer is over.
    Just relax and enjoy what is working for you now.
    Same here. I'll wait for summer before I decide to switch to something else.
    05-23-11 11:08 AM
    Weird- they gave me turn down service and left a cute Playbook shaped mint on my pillow. Maybe they forgot about you.

Seriously, get a clue. So far the product is exactly where RIM said it would be.
    It suprises me how many people are okay with some of the the inherent problems with the native OS.

There's working and working right. Rim should make it work right not just work.
    shakeymg likes this.
    05-23-11 11:17 AM
    I feel the same as a previous poster... thanks but I'll take quality over quantity as well.
    I used to work for a big telecommunications company and I have seen first hand how hard these guys work at testing software. It's not as easy as you think to fix a small bug and add updates at the same time. All the coding that goes into these things us unreal.

If you think they are just sitting on their asses you are sadly mistaken.
    05-23-11 11:18 AM
    come on, just wait for an update to come, wait to have better update than to rush things that will make us suffer.

I am happy with my playbook. I love it so much! Thanks RIM.
    05-23-11 11:30 AM
    I have been pretty supportive of the playbook but I am getting tired of waiting around for things that should have been in the os from day one such as spell check. The most annoying for me is my wi-fi that keeps dropping even when in in the same room as my router. I will be putting it away until they come out with a proper update. I'm just glad I have another tablet that is bullet proof and doesn't let me down as the pkaybook has.
    I've never had any issues with WIFI connectivity anywhere while using the PB.
    05-23-11 11:54 AM
    My two cents (please don't anyone try to add up all my two cents ... I could never afford it)...

I'd much rather see once-monthly updates that have substantial and significant improvements than more frequent dribs and drabs. As a few people have noted, it's the testing of these changes - particularly regression testing (making sure a fix for one issue doesn't break something else) - that can be very time-consuming. It makes more sense and is much more time-efficient to do one round of regression testing per month to validate several new features and fixes than to do it bi-weekly for just a few changes. If QNX is as modularized as they say it is, it should make the whole development/test lifecycle more efficient; but it's still a major consideration nonetheless. Rough estimate, you should be able to complete roughly three times the development by just doubling the time of each release cycle (4 weeks vs. 2).
    05-23-11 12:03 PM
    I don't think RIM forgot about "us" first-wave of Playbook users. It wouldn't make marketing sense even in RIM were inordinatnly preoccupied about addtional launches. Word-of-mouth is hardly dead in this age where anyone can post a review or opinion very easily. If RIM continues to stand behind the Playbook and roll out the upgrades on an expedited basis (but when they're ready) they will gain the benefit of good feedback/word of mouth, from customes who like the device and the way the company continues to improve it.

The rumor has it that an update is coming by the end of the month, which is ok. I don't think RIM should be castigated for a 3 week lag between updates, but neither should they be lionized for releasing a product that didn't yet have the software to allow some its basic functions, which were also part of its sellign point. The reason they have been able to roll out 3 or so upgrades since launch is because the initial state of the Playbook was nearly blank, once you brushed away the surface and drilled down into it. But I am satisfied and encouraged that RIM is operating in good faith and I figure they won't sit on updates just to aggrivate customers, but neither will they be rushed into a premature release. Every time an upgrade is released, there is a land-rush for people to get on-line and start griping about it and asserting it is full of bugs, etc., before they've even completed a shake-down cruise. The reason for the more extended interval (and its all relative) is likely either because they are adding more features or ironing out bugs.
    05-23-11 12:28 PM
117 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD