I recently left my playbook in a buddies car over night. When i asked him to hold on to it for me he said he it wasnt there. Now i cant recall if that is in fact where i left it or if he stole it.

I sincerely believe im never going to see it again, Ive checked every possible place. Im beyond upset but most of all im ashamed for being so careless with it.

I know im not going to get a hand out or a free playbook now, but im just asking the crackberry community what i should do? Do i file a police report? Do i contact RIM? Do i call best buy where i purchased it?... I just want to do and whats responsible now.

The playbook had a password lock, and was registered with RIM. Help please.
    05-20-11 01:13 PM
    I'd call Rim and see if they can do anything with the pin on your pb.... Thats about all I believe you can do at this point.

This is why we NEED Blackberry Protect released for our PB's.

Max
    olympia678 likes this.
    05-20-11 01:18 PM
    well whoever has it, will be useless with a password lock unless the debrick software update resets everything?
    olympia678 likes this.
    05-20-11 01:20 PM
    I would report to RIM and the police. That totally sucks... ugh... I so feel for you. Hopefully you'll get it back.
    olympia678 likes this.
    05-20-11 01:21 PM
    I recently left my playbook in a buddies car over night. When i asked him to hold on to it for me he said he it wasnt there. Now i cant recall if that is in fact where i left it or if he stole it.

I sincerely believe im never going to see it again, Ive checked every possible place. Im beyond upset but most of all im ashamed for being so careless with it.

I know im not going to get a hand out or a free playbook now, but im just asking the crackberry community what i should do? Do i file a police report? Do i contact RIM? Do i call best buy where i purchased it?... I just want to do and whats responsible now.

The playbook had a password lock, and was registered with RIM. Help please.
    Yes, file a report.

Friends do steal from friends and they need to look into it.

Home owners or car insurance?

Tim
    05-20-11 01:42 PM
    This really sucks, good thing about the password lock though.
    +1 to calling rim and police
    Also as trsbbs mentioned, if you have any homeowners/renters/car insurance would be worth giving them a call as well. Wish the best of luck to it being recovered.
    05-20-11 01:54 PM
    Police report.

First confirm as much as you can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 02:17 PM
    Check with your credit card company... some "insure" purchases against theft/ loss for 90 days...

found an article for you:
    Four Ways to Get Your Money Back from a Credit Card Purchase

Read up on the "Purchase Protection Perks" section.

Of course, check your credit card provider's information... but AFAIK, MOST credit cards offer this.

Good luck!!
    DougFNJ likes this.
    05-20-11 02:42 PM
    I would hate to think your own friend would do such a thing. Hopefully you get it all sorted out though. Definitely call the police as well as give RIM a call and see if there is any way they can track it.
    05-20-11 03:09 PM
    thanks a lot guys. This whole thing is actually really depressing, im profoundly upset.

I bought the playbook with cash so no credit insurance is available.

Im 18 years old and a college freshmen so i dont have my own home and auto insurance.

I filed a police report and contacted RIM. They are conducting there on investigation and have flagged my playbook so its basically useless to who ever has it.

Seems to me that im 500 dollars now, even worse, the passion for my playbook is now trampled by guilt and self pitty. I want playbook back
    05-20-11 06:16 PM
    Yes, file a report.

Friends do steal from friends and they need to look into it.

Home owners or car insurance?

Tim
    I work in Insurance. Homeowners would cover it, but unfortunately devices of this value would probably either not meet the deductible of the policy, or it wouldn't be worth it to cover it because losing a claims free discount on most policies could end up costing more than the claim paid. Plus the company could drop you on renewal for putting in a small claim (don't kill the messenger on that one, nobody likes to hear that, but better to know before than be surprised founding out after)

Check with your credit card company... some "insure" purchases against theft/ loss for 90 days...

found an article for you:
    Four Ways to Get Your Money Back from a Credit Card Purchase

Read up on the "Purchase Protection Perks" section.

Of course, check your credit card provider's information... but AFAIK, MOST credit cards offer this.

Good luck!!
    That was my next suggestion, great post

thanks a lot guys. This whole thing is actually really depressing, im profoundly upset.

I bought the playbook with cash so no credit insurance is available.

Im 18 years old and a college freshmen so i dont have my own home and auto insurance.

I filed a police report and contacted RIM. They are conducting there on investigation and have flagged my playbook so its basically useless to who ever has it.

Seems to me that im 500 dollars now, even worse, the passion for my playbook is now trampled by guilt and self pitty. I want playbook back
    Either way....REAL sorry to hear about it, I really hope it gets resolved for you, good luck
    djrobinn likes this.
    05-20-11 06:23 PM
    Hey!

The same thing happened to me, ive waited to get my Blackberry Playbook since it was announced, I saved money everymonth and finally got mine on release day, I live in Mexico but happened to be in houston on april 19th so everything was perfect, I was so happy until 7 days later back home...it got stolen from my apartment...it was awful I was so sad...we REALLY need BB protect for playbook! Ive been trying to contact RIM to see if at least with the serial number they can do anything! How do I contact them?? Help please
    06-01-11 05:10 PM
    Did you mention to your friend that you were going to call the police? If he did keep it maybe he would've suddenly found it.
    06-01-11 05:31 PM
    yeah.. so i just lost my playbook too. it's a sad sad day.. i don't think i'll be purchasing another one until the next one comes out.

i just called my credit card company and they said that they only cover it if it was broken or stolen. it did cross my mind to get a police report and report it stolen. but the girl on the phone probably wrote in the notes that it was lost.

on the lighter side of things.. i'm excited that the playbook uses blackberry bridge so that none of my emails or personal information is on there.. i'm tired of reading reviews stating that the playbook has no native email app..

i'm using an ipad now.. and i don't wanna put anything on it. i might just break and get another playbook.
    07-13-11 11:50 PM
    To all those that have lost/had there playbook stolen, I truly feel for you! I keep mine with me all the time and if it went missing I dont know what I would do.

Dear RIM,

Please put out Blackberry Protect for playbook!!!
    07-14-11 12:05 AM
    To all those that have lost/had there playbook stolen, I truly feel for you! I keep mine with me all the time and if it went missing I dont know what I would do.
    I do not fear much sympathy for those whom have lost their BlackBerry PlayBooks - sheer stupidity and carelessness. For those whom have had their tablets stolen I do have sympathy for you because it just demonstrates basic human corruption when someone steals from another person.
    07-14-11 03:48 AM
    Honest Question: Does RIM not have any software that can track a Playbook, akin to Apple's "Find my iPhone" app? It would certainly help to locate it/wipe it...
    07-14-11 07:10 AM
    Used PlayBook (16s) can be found in the 300-400 range as there is a glut in the market right now with all this RIM doom and gloom news. You could save up and buy a used PB.
    07-14-11 07:48 AM
    sorry to hear about losing your PBs.

one stupid question: what is a BB protect? a program to disable the device if lost or stolen?
    07-14-11 09:19 AM
    sorry to hear about losing your PBs.

one stupid question: what is a BB protect? a program to disable the device if lost or stolen?
    Yes, but it is only available for BB Smartphones as of now.
    07-14-11 10:47 AM
    Once we get the PAS (playbook administration service), i'm sure enterprises can brick the stolen devices
    07-14-11 11:01 AM
    Once we get the PAS (playbook administration service), i'm sure enterprises can brick the stolen devices
    RIM should be all over this, it would back-up their positioning and as more and more of us have devices that go missing one way or another, it would be a huge advantage and perceived benefit for corporate and consumer users.

The ability to quickly and easily wipe a lost bb phone is one of those "mini killer apps" you don't appreciate until you use it.

You can do this on an ipad with MobileMe and an iphone through activesync but i have never tried it, a new weekend project!

I have unfortunately had to wipe blackberry phones that i and my team have lost, it can be done in about no time if you have access to any web browser and BES access. It is a much better defense than hoping the lost device will be wiped by 10 unsuccessful password attempts. Even in the password wipe rim has a great advantage allowing sophisticated passwords rather than a 4 number sequence but a remote wipe for PB would be VERY valuable.
    07-15-11 07:13 AM
    Just had my house broken into and lost all my computers and Playbook 64 gig, what a **** off....and no Blackberry Protect. I found a new one for $550.00, still so pissed off. I'll contact Rim and let them know, now much more I can do. Had it since April release date so my credit card protection is finished after 90 days. Life sucks some days.
    09-24-11 02:46 PM
    There isn't a Lojak app for tablets?
    09-24-11 03:06 PM
    the playbook has a gps chip so RIM can locate your playbook if it's stolen
    09-24-11 03:12 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD