I get asked all the time: "Why did you buy 'that thing' and not an iPad?"

I tell them I want a computer for the Post PC Era - not just a phone.

Link: PlayBook Geek: Whitespace: I want a computer for the 'Post PC Era'

RIM has taken many hits in the press. Journalists are not telling the true story about the iPad:

It's an iPhone - just with fewer features.
    05-20-11 01:01 PM
    iPad is too big.
    Doesn't play Flash.
    Doesn't Bridge with my Blackberry.
    (Besides, I already own an iPad v1)
    05-20-11 01:05 PM
    Too large
    No flash
    QNX multitasking is better than any other tablet out there
    05-20-11 01:08 PM
    You can say "because" and roll eyes... that's what I do.. i hate answering those questions.
    05-20-11 01:21 PM
    Why didn't I buy an iPad?

1. The Apple paradigm.

2. IPad display does not compare.

3. Flash

4. Portability

5. Flash

6. No ability to access the entire www (flash).

7. No bridging capability.

8. UI not as fun.

9. iOS has much less potential than QNX.

10. No thumb typing in portrait mode.
    05-20-11 01:24 PM
    Why didn't I buy an iPad?

1. The Apple paradigm.

2. IPad display does not compare.

3. Flash

4. Portability

5. Flash

6. No ability to access the entire www (flash).

7. No bridging capability.

8. UI not as fun.

9. iOS has much less potential than QNX.

10. No thumb typing in portrait mode.
    - No thumb typing in landscape mode either - LoL - I finding that I can type pretty fast in both portrait and landscape

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 01:33 PM
    I didn't buy one cause I didn't want one. I wanted the pb. Period.
    Same with my truck and anything else I buy... I buy what I want, not what others think I should have.
    05-20-11 01:34 PM
    Just some thoughts

Why are you getting annoyed, why do you care what they think?
    Is there some truth to what they are saying / asking you?
    Are you worried that you didn't make the right choice.

Try looking at it from this point of view. Its your money and no one has the right to tell you how to spend it.

You decided on a PB great.

Also no one can annoy / disrespect you without your permission.

You can adjust the tone of the above responses based on the tone of their initial qustion / attack.
    05-20-11 01:35 PM
    I have both and for standard sitting around on the couch the pb is much nicer to use via the size. everybody still thinks its dumb though....
    05-20-11 01:37 PM
    When a person asks why didn't you buy an iPad, on should immediately follow up with, why did you?

I am an owner of both devices, and the Playbook destroys the iPad in basically every category besides Apps. People that buy Apple products do so because of advertisements, word of mouth, and the inherent requirement of the human race, jealousy and the need to "keep up" with their friends' technology.

The playbook is clearly superior if one takes an objective overlook, however, that is not how the American people work as a whole.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    05-20-11 01:45 PM
    I too have had that question. Based on all the advertising, product placement, etc., I know where they're coming from. So, I take it as an opportunity to explain:

1080p HD video on PB, only 720p on iPad2;

full support for surround sound and high quality audio formats;

hdmi output works beautifully on my home theatre;

much handier size / form factor - I enjoy reading ebooks on the built-in Kobo reader and can't imagine enjoying holding up the quarter-pound heavier iPad for extended reading;

the screen is so beautiful to look at.

I take those questions as an opportunity to show it off... not as an annoyance. What really annoys me is RIM's lame effort at marketing. For every PB ad/mention I see, there are at least a dozen or more iPad ads/mentions. They need to push it harder. Having said that, the few PB ads I've seen are really good. I like the one where the slogan is "Amateur hour is over". I liked the facts that they got Conan to mention it on his show. So, yes, they are trying, just not hard enough yet.
    Cynn likes this.
    05-20-11 01:56 PM
    My simple answer is I wanted something as portable as a Kindle but with the power of a tablet.

If they want more I tell them I hate iTunes and the way it handles updates, Flash is great, screen is more crisp and colorful, and the platform offers developers a much more exciting set of options for app development.

One interesting thing I've noticed though is that people never seem to expect it to cost less than an iPad when they are holding it in their hands.
    05-20-11 02:50 PM
    Yeah Itunes has been a negative for a long time... Same reason I ditched my ipod nano a long time ago.
    05-20-11 02:53 PM
    Because it is an Apple?
    05-20-11 02:59 PM
    I didn't buy one cause I didn't want one. I wanted the pb. Period.
    Same with my truck and anything else I buy... I buy what I want, not what others think I should have.
    +1, the lady speaks the truth.
    05-20-11 03:06 PM
    that question gives a great opportunity to show off the places where the Playbook stands ahead of the iPad.
    05-20-11 03:07 PM
    I can answer for you.

Because it sucks.
    Horrible screen density, 512 mb ram, .7MP camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 03:07 PM
    People that buy Apple products do so because of advertisements, word of mouth, and the inherent requirement of the human race, jealousy and the need to "keep up" with their friends' technology.
    All of these (except for advertising) could have been used to describe RIM's success in the last decade. Unfortunately, it's just not true. People buy both companies' products because they like them. RIM used to sell more, and now Apple sells more, but both are looking forward to the next product, knowing full well that the tide can shift at anytime.
    05-20-11 03:34 PM
    Apps AMOST swayed me! But, really the PB is a much better fit for me, and the best part for me is actually the size, I prefer the 7 inch form factor. When I want something larger I grab my netbook, or my laptop, when I'm on the go I grab the PB.

The App picture should improve once the Native Developer Kit gets out there and the Android Player is released.
    05-20-11 03:41 PM
    I get asked all the time: "Why did you buy 'that thing' and not an iPad?"

I tell them I want a computer for the Post PC Era - not just a phone.

Link: PlayBook Geek: Whitespace: I want a computer for the 'Post PC Era'

RIM has taken many hits in the press. Journalists are not telling the true story about the iPad:

It's an iPhone - just with fewer features.

The Playbook has:
      • Runs Flash
      • Strong multitasking
      • Very fast processor
      • Extremely high security (good enough for governments and large corporations. Most others did not pass)
      • Can bridge to become an active part of the Blackberry phone
      • Fits easily in to a coat pocket (not oversize for portability)
      • Has excellent support
      • Designed for professional use
      • Very high quality construction and designed for high reliability

The above are why I went for the Playbook over the others that I tested. If I wanted a toy or a game player, then I would have most likely considered something else.

Jerry G.
    05-20-11 03:48 PM
    There's a new reason everyone can use if they wish. Explosion at Ipad 2 factory...
    Explosion Rocks Apple's iPad 2 Production Plant [VIDEO]
    05-20-11 03:56 PM
    For those who don't want to go to the link...

"On Friday, an explosion ripped through the Foxconn Chengdu plant in China, the factory where the Apple iPad 2 is made.

The amount of damage caused by the explosion isn’t clear yet, but there were reports that two people were killed and 16 injured. Shortly after the explosion, 10 fire engines, numerous ambulances and 10 police cars reportedly arrived at the scene.

The explosion occurred around 7 p.m. local time (7 a.m. ET), when hundreds of people were working inside the building, according to CNN. Early reports say the explosion originated in a building that contains part of the iPad 2 assembly line."
    05-20-11 03:57 PM
    an ipad 2 was my first choice because of the apps but i did not purchase one because they were not available in a fashion that was convenient which then made the playbook a free agent for me. i did my research on the playbook and ended up buying the playbook because i like what i found out..
    05-20-11 04:01 PM
    Too many people ask my why I didn't get a iPad or 'is that a PB?' and have to demonstrated the PB's capabilities. I've demonstrated it so much its gotten boring. Now either I discretely use my PB or when people ask me if that's a PB, I say yes and put it away. If they ask what it can do, I just verbally tell them.
    05-20-11 04:06 PM
    Because I'm not a mindless drone is why

Is my answer.
    05-20-11 04:06 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD