Verizon to offer family data plans; move to tiered data pricing for all customers this summer

Verizon to offer family data plans; move to tiered data pricing for all customers this summer

In a report today, Reuters noted that Verizon Wireless’ cellular data offerings are in for a major overhaul. “Verizon Wireless plans to kick off pricing changes this summer by eliminating smartphone plans that allow unlimited Web access for a flat fee,” reads the article. “It will replace them with tiered pricing that forces heavy data users to pay more for mobile data.” The report goes on to paraphrase Verizon Communications’ CFO, Fran Shammo, who explained that “after this change, which forces heavy data users to pay more, the company will look to soften the blow by offering more options such as family plans for data services.” Currently, Verizon Wireless smartphone users with family plans are required to pay $29.99 per line for cellular data. Non-family-plan smartphone customers can purchase unlimited mobile data (with a 5GB allowance) for the same monthly price.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    time to go to SPRINT. ill gladly pay the extra 10 dollars. or maybe since my upgrade is coming up in a month and ill just get a LTE phone before the price overhaul amd be grandfathered
    Last edited by Tiguere; 05-19-11 at 02:26 PM.
    05-19-11 02:19 PM
    I'm scared about sprint and t-Mobile jumping on the ship.
    05-19-11 02:22 PM
    It's a 100% guarantee that they will. Just a matter of when.

Actually Tmobile doesn't count. They already implemented data throttling, which is more or less a workaround for the same type of restrictions.
    05-19-11 02:26 PM
    It's a 100% guarantee that they will. Just a matter of when.

Actually Tmobile doesn't count. They already implemented data throttling, which is more or less a workaround for the same type of restrictions.
    Depression.
    05-19-11 02:35 PM
    For all customers? Does this mean even those of us with the Unlimited Plan will be forced to switch? I can't imagine that happening but you never know the corporate loopholes they have within the contract's we signed.

I'm so glad these companies are offering more options to save us money. You know, those options that don't force us to pay for unlimited data but less than we would use thus causing us overage fees. Yes, because as AT&T said when they made the switch, "we're making data more affordable". Yeah, right. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Eclipse2K; 05-19-11 at 04:07 PM.
    05-19-11 04:04 PM
    Uh oh....this all but guarantees (IMHO) that we will not see the 9930 on Verizon until after the new plans go into effect!
    05-20-11 07:57 AM
    Uh oh....this all but guarantees (IMHO) that we will not see the 9930 on Verizon until after the new plans go into effect!
    Meh. I don't think that would be the reason. The droid X2 is dropping this month and I'm sure that it will use more data than any bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 11:20 AM
    Meh. I don't think that would be the reason. The droid X2 is dropping this month and I'm sure that it will use more data than any bb.

Droid X2 dropped yesterday and I came VERY close to getting it. The only thing that stopped me was it's not LTE. I live just south of Boston and get amazing speeds with my LTE data card. The Droid Charge is but it's only a single core processor and I don't think it will handle Gingerbread very well let alone Honeycomb. Verizon wants a premium price for it and it's not a flagship type phone IMO.

What I am getting is the Droid Bionic when it drops and I am praying that happens before Verizon switches to tiered pricing. I've been with RIM for a long time but they put too much into the PlayBook and not much into anything else. I had high hopes for the PB too and was very disappointed when I used one. I waited until the PB came out before deciding on a tablet. I went with the iPad2.

In the end though if Verizon changes to tiered pricing and the Bionic isn't out yet I'll probably end up getting the Charge.

I love Verizon and will never leave. I was with Sprint but I don't like how things are looking for Sprint if TM is bought by AT&T. People have said that Verizon would buy Sprint but Verizon doesn't need Sprint. Sprint would need Verizon though.
    05-20-11 06:41 PM
    LTE is great on the surface but the speed on my current 3G hasn't been an issue.
    2Mbs is plenty fast on a handheld device. Most video sites etc. don't stream to handheld devices at anything above 500kbs. So no matter how fast your connection is, you will always be gated by the delivery.
    05-20-11 07:50 PM
    LTE is great on the surface but the speed on my current 3G hasn't been an issue.
    2Mbs is plenty fast on a handheld device. Most video sites etc. don't stream to handheld devices at anything above 500kbs. So no matter how fast your connection is, you will always be gated by the delivery.
    True, but as a Thunderbolt user, I can say that the speed comes in handy. If not just for downloads, but also for those web pages that do not offer a mobile view. Or even those websites that do have a mobile view but have extremely limited browsing data.

As for tiered data pricing, I'd be willing to bet that the tiered pricing goes into effect before or right as the Bionic releases. I could not imaging Verizon holding the tiered pricing on their big summer release.
    05-21-11 02:02 AM
    LTE isnt just about speeds, its also about latency

05-21-11 01:56 PM
    i just signed with Verizon today cause I wanted my iPhone back but didnt wanna deal with ATT. I asked the guy about this tiered data and he said it IS coming, but those of us who have unlimited now will be grandfathered in.

tech_head: i agree. my iphone is only 3G and it's faster than ATT's 3G. I have no complaints here.
    05-22-11 02:53 AM

In a report today, Reuters noted that Verizon Wireless� cellular data offerings are in for a major overhaul. �Verizon Wireless plans to kick off pricing changes this summer by eliminating smartphone plans that allow unlimited Web access for a flat fee,� reads the article. �It will replace them with tiered pricing that forces heavy data users to pay more for mobile data.� The report goes on to paraphrase Verizon Communications� CFO, Fran Shammo, who explained that �after this change, which forces heavy data users to pay more, the company will look to soften the blow by offering more options such as family plans for data services.� Currently, Verizon Wireless smartphone users with family plans are required to pay $29.99 per line for cellular data. Non-family-plan smartphone customers can purchase unlimited mobile data (with a 5GB allowance) for the same monthly price.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    time to go to SPRINT. ill gladly pay the extra 10 dollars. or maybe since my upgrade is coming up in a month and ill just get a LTE phone before the price overhaul amd be grandfathered
    You are already grandfathered, as long as you don't change your plan when you get a new phone.
    I don't understand everybody getting all bent over them going to tiered if you already have unlimited as just because you upgrade you phone, and NOT your plan, they can't just switch you to tiered.
    I have an unlimited AllTel plan on Verizon and no matter how many phone upgrades I get I can keep that plan as long as I don't make plan changes.
    If a Rep. tries to change your plan at time of phone upgrade and you don't want to change said plan, time to look for a different Rep.
    05-22-11 08:59 AM
    Yes I hope this will be the case. I am fine staying with my VZW voice plan (it's one of the nationwide ones with unlimited texts) but I just hope I can keep unlimited even when I upgrade to a new smartphone on my same plan.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    05-22-11 05:27 PM
    you should be able to. i had tmobile for 10 years and was able to keep a plan that didn't exist for 5 of them simply because i never changed it.

hopefully vzw goes the same route, but yeah the guy at the store said those of us who already have unlimited shouldn't sweat it.
    05-22-11 05:36 PM
    Saw that and was concerned, but did check online and my usage was extremely low. Have my 9650 set for Wifi both at work and home, and reality was that my estimated heavy total usage overall was actually extremely low over 3G network. Will have to go back over my past bills, but wondering if WiFi use really makes loss of unlimited data less an issue than I'm worried about.

MrObvious likes this.
    05-22-11 09:28 PM
    Saw that and was concerned, but did check online and my usage was extremely low. Have my 9650 set for Wifi both at work and home, and reality was that my estimated heavy total usage overall was actually extremely low over 3G network. Will have to go back over my past bills, but wondering if WiFi use really makes loss of unlimited data less an issue than I'm worried about.

That's actually a good point, and it may be worth it if they do it right and offer the tiered pricing with reasonable limits (eg. 500MB for $15, 2GB for $20, 4GB for $30 would be sweet, and maybe something lower).
    05-23-11 01:59 AM
    The thing is I have a promo plan. Where it is 450 anytime mins(unlimited mobile to mobile)+ unlimited texts + unlimited data ALL FOR 69.99

This is a promo plan that certain people got emailed during october of last year. When I got the email I called to get in on the promo plan AND I REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY THE LADY REP SAID THE PLAN WILL ONLY BE VALID FOR A YEAR. So that means later in this year I'm gonna get kick off the plan and will be forced to choose a new one ( most likely with tiered data pricing.)

05-23-11 02:04 AM
    You'll get kicked off of your promotional plan after the year? Automatically? That sounds really bizarre to me. Are you sure that's right?

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    05-23-11 08:00 AM
    The thing is I have a promo plan. Where it is 450 anytime mins(unlimited mobile to mobile)+ unlimited texts + unlimited data ALL FOR 69.99

This is a promo plan that certain people got emailed during october of last year. When I got the email I called to get in on the promo plan AND I REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY THE LADY REP SAID THE PLAN WILL ONLY BE VALID FOR A YEAR. So that means later in this year I'm gonna get kick off the plan and will be forced to choose a new one ( most likely with tiered data pricing.)

If you're a heavy data user, it might be better to swap plans before your promo plan runs out so you can get in on the unlimited data plan.

I read another article that said Verizon is saying for new contracts and when you renew your contract you'll lose your unlimited data, even if you're grandfathered in. That kinda effs up for renewing your contract if it's true. I haven't confirmed if it is or not. We all knew this day was coming.
    05-23-11 11:44 AM
    If you're a heavy data user, it might be better to swap plans before your promo plan runs out so you can get in on the unlimited data plan.

I read another article that said Verizon is saying for new contracts and when you renew your contract you'll lose your unlimited data, even if you're grandfathered in. That kinda effs up for renewing your contract if it's true. I haven't confirmed if it is or not. We all knew this day was coming.
    Generally they are good about not doing that but who knows?
    05-24-11 12:27 PM
    T-mo already has with 2gb for $20 and 5gb for $30. With the option to either pay extra or get throttled on overage in any month. Saw the flyer at one of their stores yesterday.
    05-24-11 02:35 PM
    They are doing this already for the old $15/150mb plans. When you go to get a new phone and renew they get you. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it happen with the current unlimited.
    Question for me is will the 9930 come out so I can use my NE2 to in time to beat this and keep my old $30/unlimited.
    Furthermore, I wonder how they would deal with those of us who pick up a new device from ebay paying full price. Would they get us on the start up or not. It might be worth it to get your best deal from CL or ebay then keep your plan. Just thinkin' out loud.
    05-24-11 02:41 PM
    That's pretty standard, renewing a contract is essentially the same thing as signing a new contract.

They don't let you sign new contracts for plans that don't exist anymore
    05-24-11 02:44 PM
    That's pretty standard, renewing a contract is essentially the same thing as signing a new contract.

They don't let you sign new contracts for plans that don't exist anymore
    True, and it's a new world out there with the reality of the smartphone and all the data it uses times the millions of them out there.
    Used to be "grandfathered" meant something. i think this expression will soon be retired.
    05-24-11 02:47 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD