I'm currently using the 8830 through VZW but am intrigued by the iPhone.

A couple e-mail questions:

1. With the iPhone, can you delete e-mails via a keyboard shortcut? Does it involve opening the e-mail and then deleting it? Is it that much faster on the BB?
    2. What about reply-to flags, I remember this has been a problem, i.e., that they don't get carried over from the iPhone to your regular e-mail.
    08-14-08 09:33 AM
    If you like BB email you wil hate email on the iphone. You can delete emails from the email program on the iphone without opening them by swiping across that email in your inbox. It does not have the PUSH email that BB is famous for. Yahoo email can be setup to be pushed instantly but to me nothing compares to BB email! There is no substitute. Hope this helps.
    08-14-08 11:59 AM
    If you like BB email you wil hate email on the iphone. You can delete emails from the email program on the iphone without opening them by swiping across that email in your inbox. It does not have the PUSH email that BB is famous for. Yahoo email can be setup to be pushed instantly but to me nothing compares to BB email! There is no substitute. Hope this helps.
    I thought with the Exchange Active Sync, you do get push e-mail on the iPhone. Or am I missing something here?
    08-14-08 02:27 PM
    it's push on exchange but from my understanding it doesn't work as well as the blackberry. More of delay, 10-30 seconds vs less than 5 on the blackberry. Mobileme the equivalent of BIS has been a disaster. I just use yahoo for push email and it's been ok. My girlfriend who has exchange sever for work hasn't had any problems either. The email client on the iPhone is nicer but if your concern is more about getting emails fast then blackberry wins hands down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 02:55 PM
    Maybe I was lucky... MobileMe has been flawless for me.

Also the email is better IMO than the blackberry. Wow... 5-10 seconds more for an email, kill me now! RIM has yet to get good IMAP support.

To the user that stated if you like the RIM email, you won't like the iPhone, please address this for yourself and from your own experiences (if you personally have any) as I love the iPhone email app way more than the Blackberry.

No real HTML support (even with 4.5)... No reaching into my custom folders.

Push works great even w/o Mobile me. Have your email box forward emails to your yahoo account and you will always have your email pushed.
    08-16-08 03:45 PM
    I'm currently using the 8830 through VZW but am intrigued by the iPhone.

A couple e-mail questions:

1. With the iPhone, can you delete e-mails via a keyboard shortcut? Does it involve opening the e-mail and then deleting it? Is it that much faster on the BB?
    2. What about reply-to flags, I remember this has been a problem, i.e., that they don't get carried over from the iPhone to your regular e-mail.

I'm unsure of what you are referring to for Question #2.
    08-16-08 03:47 PM
    Maybe I was lucky... MobileMe has been flawless for me.

Also the email is better IMO than the blackberry. Wow... 5-10 seconds more for an email, kill me now! RIM has yet to get good IMAP support.

To the user that stated if you like the RIM email, you won't like the iPhone, please address this for yourself and from your own experiences (if you personally have any) as I love the iPhone email app way more than the Blackberry.

No real HTML support (even with 4.5)... No reaching into my custom folders.

Push works great even w/o Mobile me. Have your email box forward emails to your yahoo account and you will always have your email pushed.
    Actually, I couldn't agree me with the RIM email comment. I've been a berry & iPhone user for years. Currently running an iPhone (Until the new 1.2ghz Torch comes to the US market) using the gMail Exchange server pushing my inbox, and it's not even close in speed to anything that RIM has. I've spent countless hours waiting for my email to load while my wife's Blackberry (on the same network) gets the same email, lets her read it and move on.

Hurry up Blackberry, I'm all iPhone'd out.
    04-22-11 08:27 AM
    Actually, I couldn't agree me with the RIM email comment. I've been a berry & iPhone user for years. Currently running an iPhone (Until the new 1.2ghz Torch comes to the US market) using the gMail Exchange server pushing my inbox, and it's not even close in speed to anything that RIM has. I've spent countless hours waiting for my email to load while my wife's Blackberry (on the same network) gets the same email, lets her read it and move on.

Hurry up Blackberry, I'm all iPhone'd out.
    I've had the opposite experience. I've actually had my ipad with gmail's exchange server set up and a blackberry phone right next to it with the same gmail account set up.

Half the time the ipad actually would get the pushed email first.

I'm not sure where the discrepancy is, but it might have to do with location.
    04-22-11 08:47 AM
    I find that Active sync on my Ip4 is 10 times better then what BB was offering me on (BIS)
    I have my folders, HTML, No limit to the size of email i could download and it get's to me the same Micro second it's sent
    Like if you click send..........now i got it....yea that fast LOL
    04-22-11 08:59 AM
    In my opinion, the extra 10-30 seconds isnt really that big of a deal. If that really has an impact on your decision then..... wow. I actually think it is faster on the iPhone now that I think about it. I have noticed I get emails instantly, if not, maybe 10 seconds later. Even deleting emails is much easier than the blackberry. On the iphone it takes just one touch and you can delete multiple emails at a time.
    04-22-11 11:59 AM
    @KPM171 Get a REAL email server that's built to support ActiveSync (the Push technology that the iPhone is using) and you won't have delay issues. Also, nice move on resurecting a thread from 2008.
    04-22-11 09:15 PM
    I have my gmail setup through an exchange server also. Compared to my blackberry it may be 5 decode later I get an email if that.

A lot of the time it's around the same time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 12:08 AM
    @KPM171 Get a REAL email server that's built to support ActiveSync (the Push technology that the iPhone is using) and you won't have delay issues. Also, nice move on resurecting a thread from 2008.
    holy crap JRSCCivic98 went over to the dark side.....I truly have been away a long time!

But seriously, I do have one question - is gmail and google apps email available on the iphone as push? or do you have to poll for it every 15 mins? I'm in the healthcare/IT field, so yes, sometimes 30 seconds-1 minute does matter.
    04-25-11 08:57 PM
    I think it's instant. It should be considering Gmail offers IMAP.
    04-25-11 10:24 PM
    holy crap JRSCCivic98 went over to the dark side.....I truly have been away a long time!

But seriously, I do have one question - is gmail and google apps email available on the iphone as push? or do you have to poll for it every 15 mins? I'm in the healthcare/IT field, so yes, sometimes 30 seconds-1 minute does matter.
    It is now, but you must pick Exchange as your choice when you set it up. If you pick GMail from the wizard list, it'll be poll as before unless you have IMAP turned on and then you can pick IMAP or POP on the secondary wizard screen after you put in your email account info.
    04-26-11 12:17 AM
    Worth noting too - if you're fixating on email - that the iPhone simply doesn't allow you to add Attachments directly from it's Mail program, unlike BlackBerry.

Counter-intuitively, with the iPhone, you have to open the applicable program (say, Photos or a 3rd Party program) and start the attachment to email there. And, as far as I can tell, this won't work on an email you are replying to - just new ones initiated from you.

Serious lapse for the business crowd on Apple's part. Maybe a part of the next iOS - maybe not - or you can apparently add this functionality if you jailbreak your phone (and warranty).
    04-26-11 05:28 AM

Do you know of any hosting services that offer free exchange(other then google)? All the ones I'm looking at want an arm and a leg for it. I use 1&1 Internet - Home at the moment. They at least have imap idle so my emails are instant push on my BB but exchange is quite expensive.
    02-11-12 02:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD