Actually, my friend introduces xoom to me, but I still wanner to consider which one is the best. The os system is totally different, so it means I need to give up one if I choose another one. I have an Android phone, and I think it well. However, I also wanner to try a different one. Little hard for me. Is there any body can give some clues?
    05-17-11 06:25 AM
    Xoom, no.
    It is slow as Death. But if it wasn't It'd be sweet.
    iPad is okay but lucks Flash and hass horrendous cameras and multitasking. - No.
    Playbook is yet to be finished. But when the native email appears over the summer, it will be awesome.

Your call. If you ask this on a CrackBerry Enthusiast site then expect PB.
    You know what to expect on the others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-17-11 06:36 AM
    Try them all, no matter what anyone else says it is you that knows what you like and what you prefer to use.

Use the force!
    05-17-11 07:01 AM
    The Playbook has the best hardware, screen and the OS has the most potential of any device on the Market. Xoom, and Honeycomb in general just aren't taking off yet, and I haven't seen a great review of Honeycomb. If you have to apps right off the bat then the Ipad is way to go, but it has awful cameras. But try them all yourself and decide what your requirements are for a tablet and pic one that meets those.
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-17-11 08:56 AM
    None of the above, try a Asus Transformer instead.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-17-11 11:42 AM
    If you are looking for a cool toy make a list of what you are looking for and then compare for yourself which is best with demo devices in stores. I do want to warn you that none of these will replace your need for either a laptop or a desktop computer for all your computing needs.

If you are looking for a tablet that can function as a tablet and replace your computer\laptop then I would look for something that has the convertible type of set up. Basically it is a laptop with a rotating screen that can then be closed and used with a touch screen. I have an X series Lenovo but the touch screen is extra and so far I generally use it as a laptop unless I am giving a presentation and using the tablet as a reference instead of looking at the presentation screen that the audience is viewing.
    Last edited by jbforgod; 05-17-11 at 12:22 PM.
    05-17-11 12:19 PM
    The Playbook is a half baked tablet
    The Xoom is also a half baked tablet

Go for the iPad
    05-17-11 05:27 PM
    With no Bias, Playbook.

Xoom has so many Hangups. Irritation to the max. Don't listen to the Phandroids.
    Nor should you listen to the Apple lovers.

05-18-11 06:57 AM
    Xoom, no.
    It is slow as Death. But if it wasn't It'd be sweet.
    iPad is okay but lucks Flash and hass horrendous cameras and multitasking. - No.
    Playbook is yet to be finished. But when the native email appears over the summer, it will be awesome.

Your call. If you ask this on a CrackBerry Enthusiast site then expect PB.
    You know what to expect on the others.

Thanks. I know it's BB forum, but I wanner to get some real suggestions from you guys. You are so familiar with BB... I think I will wait for playbook. I'd like to see how's like at least.
    05-18-11 06:58 AM
    IF you own a BB smartphone then the PB may be the best, since you can pair it and get extra functionality, plus free web browsing (well web browsing using your data plan's allocation). Also the PB is easier to hold and carry around than the ipad, BUT you might miss the larger screen size. Screen resolution wise they are VERY similar, both excellent. Also the PB has full flash, while the ipad does not. App support, it's no contest, the ipad wins that one, BUT the PB should be making significant strides when the android player is released soon, AND each day new apps get added, BUT, truth be told, ipad will probably always will the apps race.

IF you have a BB, then I strongly suggest you go for the PB, also if you prefer the smaller protable size and want flash, then also you must go PB.

If you want the app support, and a bigger screen, then you should go for the ipad

Under no circumstance do I recommend the Xoom, it's too expensive, buggy, and just not worth the effort AND there are better Android options out there and coming soon.
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-18-11 08:34 AM
    If you still haven't decided, and wouldn't mind some decent unbiased reviews, I have found some pretty good ones.
    Tablet comparison � BlackBerry PlayBook vs. Motorola Xoom
    Tablet comparison � BlackBerry PlayBook vs. iPad 2
    Tablet comparison � iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-18-11 08:54 AM
    I have an iPad2 and a PB so I can comment a bit on this as I have some expereince.

The GF uses the iPad and its a great little gaming machine but that's all I use it for. She plays her games and I occasionally play hold'em or watch some Netflix. Without WiFi the iPad is virtually useless in my situation because everything I use it for requires an internet connection. I don't have videos or music because I don't need to be carrying around a huge iPod Touch just to listen to tunes....that's what my iPod is for.

I thought the 7in form factor of the PB was going to be a big turn off for me but once I tried it out at my local Office Depot I was sold on it. My eyes aren't going bad yet, I'm only 27, but everything is still pretty clear to me so I won't be worried about that. Another big plus to me is the intuitive "swiping" feature of the PB. Sometimes I catch myself swiping on the iPad and forget that I just have to hit the one singular "home" button to get anything done on that thing. The big plus to BB users of having the PB is the Bridge function. Albeit, it is buggy right now but I'm sure that after RIM irons out all the wrinkles this thing will run flawlessly. I don't see why everyone is getting so up in arms about a product that has been out for barely 30 days.

As for the Xoom, I've only played with one for a few minutes at a Costco before some other customer was breathing down my neck but from my experience the size of that thing is too big for my taste. The screen is really nice and glossy to give it that vibrant look. All the apps that were installed on it ran pretty well and wasn't "laggy" or anything but my only gripe was the size of it but if I were to use the Xoom exclusively at home I would consider it but with the release of many other Android tab's coming soon the consumer will have many more options to choose from esp with the Asus Transformer coming out at such a great price point compared to other tabs.
    Last edited by asianguy80; 05-18-11 at 02:27 PM.
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-18-11 02:18 PM
    I wonder what responses the majority will give when you ask this question on a PlayBook forum.
    05-18-11 02:20 PM
    The Xoom shouldn't even be the default Android Tablet choice. The Transformer in all its reviews has been noted as the best Android Tablet (if you can find it). The upcoming Samsung 10.1 is also getting good feedback.
    05-18-11 02:25 PM
    I'd say the ipad 2 is easily the best choice right now.
    BUT if you can wait a month or two, you'll have the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which is a much better choice than the Xoom, and if the size is important, both Acer, Dell and HTC have some cool 7 inch Android tablets coming out in the summer, which are similarily spec'd as the iPad and Playbook.
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-18-11 02:28 PM
    05-18-11 02:30 PM
    I wonder what responses the majority will give when you ask this question on a PlayBook forum.
    Not to be snarky, but did you even read any of the responses before you posted this? The recommendations have been quite unbiased and had the posters personal justifications.

Anyways, I do recommend the PlayBook over any Honeycomb tablet and the iPad. The iPad seems to be well liked, polished OS, lots of apps...but I personally hate Apple so you wouldn't ever catch me recommending the thing.

One of the best parts is tethering to your phone without an additional data plan. Tablets seem kind of empty without connectivity, I love being connected wherever I go! Also the bridge function is really cool (will be even more so when the bugs are worked out). So I agree with a previous post that said if you have a BlackBerry, the PlayBook would definitely be#1. If I didn't have a BlackBerry, and didn't have this extra functionality, I guess I would say the Transformer, or one of the newer Android Tabs coming out.

I used a friends Transformer today, and it was pretty spiffy, but definitely not as simple and intuitive as the PlayBook. I was constantly asking, "how do I do this?", "how do I close that?", "what does this do?".
    05-18-11 02:45 PM
    PM me, the Playbook is the best. I used an iPad for 1 year, and an iPad 2 for 30 days. I also used a Xoom for 75 days.
    05-18-11 03:03 PM
    Looking at the numerous posts in this thread, I would assume he is getting precisely what he is looking for. Some Playbook owners telling him why they purchased and like it, as well as some helpful members offering links to research on reviews and differences between the devices, and other members who own or have experience and are offering their opinions.

I currently own an iPad 2 and a Playbook and love them both for different reasons.

My iPad 2 has produced significant reduction in the time I am using my computer. I use it daily and have found it to be extremely useful. I use it for Web, PIM, books, magazines, movies, Netflix, it works great with my Slingbox, I could go on and on. I have the 3G model so internet at home or on the go is no issue for me. I also love Facetime. Most of my friend have an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad, and Skype works great for those who don't.

What I don't like is the size can be on the large size when I need something just a little more portable. The lack of flash is disappointing especially knowing it is not coming....ever. It is not the easiest to read in sunlight and does produce a lot of glare. The screen is beautiful, but it is not a true Hi Res screen so the image I get on my iphone and the Playbook make looking at iPads screen a little disappointing at times. The Cameras are unfortunately lacking too.

The Playbook is nothing but great potential. The screen is brilliant! The Hi Res is outstanding, I have never seen video or photos look like this on a screen, I am constantly impressed with it. The sound is incredible as well, 2 speakers and excellent sound production. The OS is great! This is how multi-tasking should be handled on all portable computing devices. Everything moves smooth and fluid one screen to the next, scrolling, and multi-touch does what it is supposed to do. I also love the implementation of using the bezel. They are the first to do it as far as I know, and they did it extremely well.

Purchasing early life has it's drawback in the features that lack, IE no PIM if you dont have a Blackberry phone, no Android yet, no great book readers with large selections. This will all arrive of course, but it isn't here now. The smaller size can tend to be a bit lacking when you are used to a larger device. We are the guinea pigs, and we have to deal with the bugs as they work them out.

If you are ok with that and want the smaller screen size....jump on in. If you are looking for something more final and complete, jump on iPad, you are not going to lose either way.

Unfortunately the only experience I have had with the Xoom is in the store, and I wouldn't give feedback based on such a limited experience.

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide.
    ryanaddsion likes this.
    05-18-11 03:11 PM
    Not to be snarky, but did you even read any of the responses before you posted this? The recommendations have been quite unbiased and had the posters personal justifications.
    With all due respect, you're kidding, right? I conceptually love the PlayBook, but it is quite buggy and annoyingly limited right now, so much so that I can't see anyone stating unequvicolly that it is superior to the iPad. In a few months, perhaps; right now, sadly, it isn't. Yet some make that claim anyway. The correct answer is 'what are you going to do with it' before the question can be answered.

Anyways, I do recommend the PlayBook over any Honeycomb tablet and the iPad. The iPad seems to be well liked, polished OS, lots of apps...but I personally hate Apple so you wouldn't ever catch me recommending the thing.
    And there you go, an unbiased, objective recommendation. Oh, wait...

One of the best parts is tethering to your phone without an additional data plan. Tablets seem kind of empty without connectivity, I love being connected wherever I go! Also the bridge function is really cool (will be even more so when the bugs are worked out). So I agree with a previous post that said if you have a BlackBerry, the PlayBook would definitely be#1. If I didn't have a BlackBerry, and didn't have this extra functionality, I guess I would say the Transformer, or one of the newer Android Tabs coming out.
    Unless you use BES, which I have just discovered limits your ability to use Bridge functionality for web surfing. Which frankly, sucks.

I used a friends Transformer today, and it was pretty spiffy, but definitely not as simple and intuitive as the PlayBook. I was constantly asking, "how do I do this?", "how do I close that?", "what does this do?".
    I handed my Playbook to my Wife, and then to my Mom over the weekend. The concept of gestures was lost on them without explanation. The browser was (of course) highly intuitive. The OS is (In my opinion, obviously) far superior in overall design to Android, but it is not instinctive. You need to evaluate the audience to determine how easy it will be for them to use. My wife, who has an iPhone for personal use and a BlackBerry for work, hated the power button and wondered why it didn't have a button on the front to turn it on (a la the iPad). Both loved the feel and size, though it was a little small for Mom to comfortably read on it.
    05-18-11 03:16 PM
    The Ipad is a good fun thing to have it's great for kids and your mum and for general viewing and saves you firing up your lappy 60% of the time but it will sit 90% of it time on the coffee table it's not easily to carry around like your phone and the Apple restrictions on files, flash and many other simply things ends up as a frustration and limits it for serious use

The Galaxy TAB is much more portable and will fit in the Mrs handbag or your glovebox, coat pocket, is more customise options for those who love to dabble or even as a portable file resource. It much more of an enthusiast device so will seem not as polished as the Ipad but has far more potential

The Playbook has the most potential of the three if all comes to fuition. It's control are far more intuative and smoother than the even the Ipad it wont be as open as the Tab but should be a good all rounder in terms of fuctionality with impressive specs that should last well over a year. It's a no brainer if you have a BB phone already else you will have to be wait a little while for it to mature. It simply has a more professional feel and look

The other 10" tabs I did not even look at as you may aswell get a netbook or small lappy IMO
    05-18-11 04:51 PM
    try all of them,it's the best you can do. cause each pad has different use, I chose PB cause of the portability, the swipe thing, hdmi output, flash, good movie player, file sharing over wifi ... don't care about apps.
    But I have to admit that the missing email client is really a pain in my as...teroid.

If you have to choose an android tablet wait the galaxy tab cause xoom is not the best one in my opinion.
    05-18-11 05:00 PM
    Just buy all 3 of them and use them at the same time for different things.

I'm guessing you are going to get mostly Playbook votes here, which you should since this is a blackberry forum.

I wonder what people will vote for in an Apple forum. Go ask them and find out!!

Then go to an Android forum and see which one they like!

The only way to know for yourself is to go try them. Don't believe what any of us in a forum specific to the tablet you are asking about because for the most part we will be biased. Just go try them yourself and see what works best for you.
    05-18-11 05:18 PM
    I handed my Playbook to my Wife, and then to my Mom over the weekend. The concept of gestures was lost on them without explanation.
    After seeing that video someone made with their daughter using a PB, a light went on and gave me the idea to allow my nephew to play with mine when I didn't want to keep coming up with things to do while he was over. I was utterly amazed how well he was able to use it without any explanation. He's also 3 like the little girl in the video. He went from watching cartoons on youtube (something I've done with him sitting in my lap before), to playing the snowboard game to playing Bubble Birds then back to watching more youtube. And I never even showed him how to swipe! But there he sat quiet and content.

If that isn't intuitive, I don't know what is.
    05-18-11 05:41 PM
    I gave my dog my playbook and he figured out how to use it. If THAT isn't intuitive I don't know what it. Are we really going to argue over that now? One might be more intuitive to another person, it's all based on personal preference.
    05-18-11 05:49 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD