I've spent half the day today on the phone with RIM's Playbook Support line, and feel like I was dealing with someone on NBC's show "Outsourced".

The last couple of days my Playbook Battery has been drained to ZERO with absolutely no use. Even overnight....I've gone to bed with a full battery, and woken up to a dead playbook.

The first support rep I spoke with kept me on the phone for 1hr 8min just to tell me that he was going to kick my case up to the next level of support. His suggestion was for me to keep my WIFI and Bluetooth off to conserve battery life. The playbook is virtually useless without having it connected to WIFI and blue-toothed to my phone for bridge access.

He asked me to back my playbook up through DM so we could force a new OS onto my device, and then decided at the last minute that doing so wouldn't improve my battery problems.

Over the course of the last two hours, my battery has gone from 100% to 68%....all I've done in terms of use is "Check for [software] Updates" twice.

He said that hopefully the next software update will fix my problem, but wasn't sure if it would be released in "days or weeks". He said hopefully sooner rather than later.

My three conversations with them have totaled over 130 minutes of talk time on my cellphone, let alone a waste of a day.

I understand that this is a new device, but RIM really needs to train their support reps a little more.
    05-16-11 02:52 PM
    I wonder what other OS they were going to put on the device? Interesting!!
    05-16-11 03:02 PM
    RIM's support should have asked you to do this:

Open up the video chat icon listed in the "All" tab. Accept the user agreement.

This should fix your battery draining issues. (Apparently that app is stuck in a loop waiting for activation). More info on this can be found by searching this forum or here: KB26855-The BlackBerry PlayBook battery drains faster than normal or has irregular fluctuations in the battery level.

Hope that helps!
    05-16-11 03:06 PM
    Did you agree to the video chat agreement?
    05-16-11 03:08 PM
    Friend of mine is getting a new one shipped to him from RIM because of terrible battery. Maybe you have to be a little more aggressive (in a nice way of course or they will tell you to shove it in a nice way)
    05-16-11 03:08 PM
    DID YOU 'AGREE' TO THE VIDEO CHAT?? That's important!
    Last edited by bluenose363; 05-16-11 at 03:17 PM.
    05-16-11 03:10 PM
    Definitely sounds like something is running in the back ground. How old is the device and has it done this from the beginning? The WiFI and BT should drain very little from the battery, especially over the course of a couple hours. How long does it take to go from the 100% to the 68% you indicated? NVM, just reread and 2 hours. That is horrible. I seriously doubt it is a software issue, if it were then you almost be guaranteed these forums to be filled with the likes.
    05-16-11 03:14 PM
    You probably could have fixed it yourself by doing a quick search and reading this forum. Could have saved you 125 minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 03:16 PM
    You probably could have fixed it yourself by doing a quick search and reading this forum. Could have saved you 125 minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I did accept the Video Chat User Agreement upon upgrading to .1868. So it's sounding like it's probably not a software issue. I'll try to be a little more adamant on RIM issuing me a replacement when (if) they call me back.

It is odd that they didn't ask me if I accepted the Video Chat agreement, though.
    05-16-11 03:19 PM
    I did accept the Video Chat User Agreement upon upgrading to .1868. So it's sounding like it's probably not a software issue. I'll try to be a little more adamant on RIM issuing me a replacement when (if) they call me back.

It is odd that they didn't ask me if I accepted the Video Chat agreement, though.
    Just kind of reinforces that they don't even read their own knowledge base..

Time to swap it or wait for RIM to get you a replacement. It is probably busted.
    05-16-11 03:27 PM

If you havent done so, try re-starting the PlayBook.
    05-16-11 03:29 PM
    Just kind of reinforces that they don't even read their own knowledge base..

Time to swap it or wait for RIM to get you a replacement. It is probably busted.
    What bothers me most is how clueless the first guy was. He sat on the phone with me while I backed up the playbook, and said we would reinstall the OS (using the .debrick method which was posted on the CB blog two weeks ago) and then randomly decided that that was no longer needed.

I didn't even know that the Video Chat agreement was a battery drainer.....but fortunately I already accepted the agreement just cause I was curious what the app was all about. Unfortunately none of my friends are PB owners....so never made it far enough along to chat! But you would think at the very least that RIM Support would have asked me off the bat about accepting the agreement. They really are clueless.
    05-16-11 03:31 PM
    Maybe ask to speak to Rajiv ???
    chefmorry likes this.
    05-16-11 03:32 PM
    If you havent done so, try re-starting the PlayBook.
    Not only have I restarted the Playbook myself.....but each time the battery dies (a couple of times a day) as a result of the issue I'm having, it has to boot up from scratch.
    05-16-11 03:33 PM
    I agree, I called about a technical issue and the kid was useless.
    He kept saying ummmm, lets seeee, hmmmm, can you hold, "background chatter" ummm what was it again?
    I never had such a bad experience talking to someone, period. Not even support wise, just talking in general.
    05-16-11 03:35 PM
    I agree, I called about a technical issue and the kid was useless.
    He kept saying ummmm, lets seeee, hmmmm, can you hold, "background chatter" ummm what was it again?
    I never had such a bad experience talking to someone, period. Not even support wise, just talking in general.
    I almost feel as if I was talking to a general call center where the people on the other end didn't work for RIM and were simply answering the phone and pulling up possible solutions on a computer screen. Wouldn't surprise me if the guy had never held a playbook in his life!
    05-16-11 03:42 PM
    I hate to hear that the TC and others had such bad experiences with customer support. I have called them and while I admit the phone call and wait took about three hours total, I ended up with an "analyst" who was a very professional individual and took care of my problems (replaced my unit).

She ended up getting my new playbook sent out and followed up with a phone call after each time that we spoke.

I had a second issue (battery issue that was solved with the video chat acceptance) with my new one and after I called in, I got directly on the phone with her and she again followed up with a phone call (I solved the problem after browing the CB forums, so didn't get to try her solution) over the weekend to again make sure everything was okay.

I'd push for one of the "analysts" as they seem to be the only people who can really help you do anything.
    05-16-11 03:50 PM
    Well I heard back from the upper level "escalation team" a few hours ago. Granted it's most likely an automated response, but I chose to respond to it. My response may be a little harsh, but at this point in time I'm pissed off and find it hard to believe that after being on the phone with them for hours today, there still is no solution to my problem.

Below is my response, followed by the message I received from RIM prior to my writing the following (sent at 7:37pm EST tonight):

------
    Pepo,

Thank you for helping me and hopefully finding a prompt resolution. It does bother me that it may take 48 hours for this to be solved....hopefully it will be sooner than that.

I am also troubled that the first representative kept me on the phone for an hour and a half (our first conversation) for absolutely nothing. He didn't have me do anything that I told him I hadn't already tried myself, and did nothing but waste my monthly minutes as I do not have a landline.

It wasn't until speaking with him a second time (for another half hour+) that he agreed to bump the case up to you. I honestly felt as if I was speaking with someone who had never even held a playbook before.

I hope that RIM will be able to promptly address this issue, and find a way to reimburse me for the amount of time I spent on the phone. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited minutes, and with these phone calls it will probably be the first time i've ever gone over my minutes. I know RIM has a close relationships with cell providers.

I am also due a phone upgrade, and have honestly been waiting for the next line of blackberrys to come out. After this experience with RIM customer service, i'm questioning whether I made the right decision in purchasing a playbook and am no longer sure whether my next phone will be a blackberry, as it has been for over 5 years.

In any case, I hope you are able to come to a solution to my problem soon.

Thanks,
    Morry

Ps.....my battery is now at 24%, and the only thing I have done since talking to you on my playbook is type this email. Auto-correct would have probably saved me about ten minutes in typing....and probably about 5% of my battery. Hopefully that's a feature coming soon!

------------

Message received from RIM (7:13pm EST):

Hello Morry,

Thank you for your continued interest in the BlackBerry solution. This is Pepo from the PlayBook Escalation Team at Research In Motion.

As we spoke this afternoon, I have taken ownership of your case. I will be following up again within 48 hours after investigating the issue and examining any attached logs or files.

If you need to contact me with additional information about this issue, please respond to this message and I or a member of my team will be notified.

The case number in the subject line of this message is critical. Please use it for all correspondence.

Thank you for using BlackBerry Technical Support. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Pepo
    BlackBerry PlayBook Escalation Team
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com

BLACKBERRY� PLAYBOOK� - WORK SMARTER. PLAY HARDER.
    Introducing the world�s first professional-grade tablet.
    BlackBerry PlayBook
    05-16-11 08:32 PM
    I dont think your response was at all harsh. I would have been way more severe with them. The battery already sucks on the playbook but yours is beyone bad. I'd demand a new one from them immediately.
    05-16-11 08:46 PM
    I agree that RIM's technical support seems to be clueless where the playbook is concerned. Last week I had an issue where I had forgotten my wifi sharing password on my playbbok. I contacted RIM thru the 90 day online support. I explained my problem and asked if there was a way they could retrieve my password or if I could reset it tbru desktop manager. The first response from technical support said that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to go to my cellular carrier to fix the problem. I sent an email back asking what a carrier would have to do with it since it is wifi only model and I had not bought it from my carrier. I asked again if I could access or reset the password from DM. They responded saying there was no way to reset the wifi sharing password. Of course, it only took a couple hours to find the solution here on the CB forums , which was simply to do a security wipe of the device. Took all of a few minutes to do. I love my playbook. Can't say the same for RIM's support staff. I'm hoping they just need some time for these guys to get some experience with the device, but for now, they are definitely not up to snuff on helping people. Needless to say I will look to CB first in regards to questions about the playbook rather then RIM tech support.
    05-16-11 08:58 PM
    Unfortunately training on the BlackBerry PlayBook is generally very sparse for the first line support representatives and they do not have actual devices to learn about functionality, or lack thereof in some situations. If you are talking to BlackBerry Customer Care and feel you are not getting satisfaction in terms of reasonable answers to your questions, try asking to speak to the next support level.
    05-16-11 08:59 PM
    OP, I feel your pain.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new from the store?
    Unfortunately I purchased the PB the first day it went on sale from Best Buy and there is a 14 day Return/Exchange Policy. I was told by the store that after 14 days i need to go to RIM directly for a replacement.

Unfortunately training on the BlackBerry PlayBook is generally very sparse for the first line support representatives and they do not have actual devices to learn about functionality, or lack thereof in some situations. If you are talking to BlackBerry Customer Care and feel you are not getting satisfaction in terms of reasonable answers to your questions, try asking to speak to the next support level.
    I could not agree with you more. As I mentioned in my original post, it took me over an hour and half to be directed to the next level of support. The first line rep insisted on having me re-try everything i had already done. I was actually a step ahead of him as he was reading off of his cheat sheet, thanks to all of the feedback here on CB!
    05-16-11 09:08 PM
    Buy a new one, use the new receipt and return the old one.
    Sure, dishonesty is the best policy.
    05-16-11 09:17 PM
    The hotline is useless. I didnt get any help until i was escalated 3 times. None of them have any knowledge of the product or any of the services available.
    05-16-11 09:25 PM
    When returning, they will ask you if there's anything wrong. Tell them the issue, BB takes the unit and ships it back to RIM. Is it the most honest? No. Is it the fastest way to get the same end result? Yes.
    Is it the fastest way to do it with the best result? Absolutely. Is it honest? Not at all.

I've return things to Best Buy in the past (in the return period) and the rep checked the Serial Number of the item i was returning. Whether it's track-able with the playbook, i'm not sure.

In any case, I don't feel comfortable being dishonest about the entire thing. RIM should have done the right thing in the first place and replaced the unit immediately instead of giving me the run around.

The hotline is useless. I didnt get any help until i was escalated 3 times. None of them have any knowledge of the product or any of the services available.
    Isn't great that RIM offers "free" support for 90 days thats completely useless? Out of curiosity, what was your issue to get your escalated 3 times? It's actually sad they have 3 tiers (at least) of support. I would guess that 90% of issues should be able to be solved at tier 1, and the remaining 10% at tier 2.
    05-16-11 09:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD