I'm looking for a micro SD card.

1) Are there different types of mSD cards or just one which will run on my bb?

2) What's the highest capacity mSD cards out there? and what are micro SD HC cards?

3) Where's the best place to get them? and any particular brand?

4) What's the point of them? only for music and documents or can you use it to store such things are themes, ringtones, sms, softwares, plug-ins, add-ons, etc?

Anything else I should know before I get one?

Cheers.
    08-14-08 04:42 AM
    Ok a pearl will take up to an 8 gig card
    I had a sandisk 2 gig I got at my local sprint store for 22 dallars
    My 8 gig card was 55 at frys it is a off brand and I have not noticed a diffrence
    I have music and ringtones on mine you can put vidoes on one you just need to convert them
    Not sure if you can put software on one
    Cards can be bought just about any where just shop around in your local area and online and get the best one for you hope I helped

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 04:49 AM
    You can find SanDisk 8gb cards on Amazon for $25-30. They work very well.
    08-14-08 08:06 AM
    Pearl can have up to an 8 Gb SD, you can find them everywhere... i got my off eBay, works awesome. You can only store media on them, no themes or applications (i dont think)
    i suggest you get one to keep the device memory free on your pearl and keep it running smoooooooth
    08-14-08 08:10 AM
    Where do you go to check the device memory, I only see my memory card memory?
    08-14-08 12:13 PM

1) Are there different types of mSD cards or just one which will run on my bb?

You need a microSD or microSDHC

2) What's the highest capacity mSD cards out there? and what are micro SD HC cards?

The largest currently available and supported by BlackBerry OSes is 8Gb. A 16 Gb card is in development, and will be compatible on 9xxx series devices!

HC = high capacity (anything 4Gb or more is classified SDHC)

I personally prefer Amazon and SanDisk. I got an 8Gb for $35... you can usually get 2Gb for about $10 and 4Gb for about $20

4) What's the point of them? only for music and documents or can you use it to store such things are themes, ringtones, sms, softwares, plug-ins, add-ons, etc?

They are used for media only! This means music, pictures, wallpapers, ringtones, movies, etc. This does not include email, SMS, MMS, applications, themes...

Anything else I should know before I get one?

Cheers.
    Check out this thread as well : http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/
    08-14-08 12:19 PM
    what is the largest data card that a blackberry 8330 with 4.5.0.56 os on it can take? - i want a huge media card but one that my phone can read just fine - does anybody know the limit - anybody tested it???
    08-15-08 11:38 AM
    what is the largest data card that a blackberry 8330 with 4.5.0.56 os on it can take? - i want a huge media card but one that my phone can read just fine - does anybody know the limit - anybody tested it???
    The SHDC spec goes up to 32GB, but I think the maximum a Blackberry can support as of now is 8GB. I say as of now because updates to the BBOS could (should) allow larger memory cards.
    08-15-08 12:26 PM
    Where do you go to check the device memory, I only see my memory card memory?
    hey... go to Options>Status. It'll show file free and total
    your file free should be 12,000,000 or higher for a smooth bb
    08-15-08 01:25 PM
    Pearl can have up to an 8 Gb SD, you can find them everywhere... i got my off eBay, works awesome. You can only store media on them, no themes or applications (i dont think)
    i suggest you get one to keep the device memory free on your pearl and keep it running smoooooooth
    So does the blackberry use the micro sd as source of memory?
    08-17-08 03:47 PM
    So does the blackberry use the micro sd as source of memory?

only for media, so videos, music, pictures, ect. you cant store themes or applications on it... alteast i dont think you can
    08-18-08 09:23 AM
    Cheers.
    Newegg is the best IMO. I prefer Sandisk, but have used Kingston and Transcend with no issues.

Current best 4gb deal:
    Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB Micro SDHC Class 6 Flash Card Model Turbo microSD HC 4G - Flash Memory
    08-18-08 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD