Will the current "old" apps definitely run on OS7? Otherwise, the 9900 will be app-less since there is a dearth of new BB apps coming. This is a really important issue-- I think the answer coud make or break the 9900.
    05-15-11 11:17 PM
    Yeah, as a future 9900 user it would be nice if there was as much effort into developing BB OS 7 apps as much as there is for iOS (the leader in the number of available apps) or Android.
    05-15-11 11:37 PM
    Oh wow. You're right.. the old Screen Res won't work. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 11:38 PM
    I'm sure there will be an app player to run os 6 apps
    05-16-11 12:04 AM
    I hope there are plenty of apps in the pipeline but with so much talk of Qnx I fear really good apps might not be written for O/S 7 :-(
    To get anyhwere near ios's app library would take a monumental effort tbh.

05-16-11 02:47 AM
    I am trying to remember the transitions since I have been a BB user. Do the apps have to be completely re-written for the new OS or just tweaked? I seem to remember when gong to my 5.0 device that about 50% were good to go. But that was a while ago. I never made the jump to 6.0, but were there lots of users, who had the first 6.0 devices that had no apps?
    05-16-11 05:39 AM
    I'm sure I read somewhere that all current apps will work on the new device(s), though I'm sure there will be a few exceptions that don't work.

I still have apps written for os4 that are working on os5 and os6.

Let's be honest, it is not THAT big a transition (until QNX devices come around).
    05-16-11 06:01 AM
    I am trying to remember the transitions since I have been a BB user. Do the apps have to be completely re-written for the new OS or just tweaked? I seem to remember when gong to my 5.0 device that about 50% were good to go. But that was a while ago. I never made the jump to 6.0, but were there lots of users, who had the first 6.0 devices that had no apps?
    I don't think that is the problem.
    The problem is that the 480x360 screen res isn't copied over because now it will be... Something else.. The pattern says 700 by 480 but I don't think that's right.
    I think its 640 by 480.

New Screen resolution is the issue.

05-16-11 06:43 AM
    I don't think that is the problem.
    The problem is that the 480x360 screen res isn't copied over because now it will be... Something else.. The pattern says 700 by 480 but I don't think that's right.
    I think its 640 by 480.

New Screen resolution is the issue.
    Screen res will be an issue with some apps for sure.
    But many apps are written to work with any screen res.

To be honest, the biggest issue will be developers updating the listing for their apps to include the 9900/9930 in each app's list of compatible devices.

There are still apps like that for OS6!

Themes will be another question. Will RIM buck up and have a working Theme Builder (or beta at least) for the new resolution devices upon their release? I doubt it. Hopefully, they hustle with that at least.
    05-18-11 03:02 PM
    I'm sure there will be an app player to run os 6 apps
    I'm sure I read somewhere that all current apps will work on the new device(s), though I'm sure there will be a few exceptions that don't work.

I still have apps written for os4 that are working on os5 and os6.

Let's be honest, it is not THAT big a transition (until QNX devices come around).
    Correct, OS7 will not be a revolutionary release, but an evolutionary one. It's still a BBOS with major similarities to its last few predecessors.

No "app player" will be necessary. Some apps will need to have updates for a variety of reasons. Others will work without any extra work put into them.

I hope there are plenty of apps in the pipeline but with so much talk of Qnx I fear really good apps might not be written for O/S 7 :-(
    In practice, no app developer will wait for the next OS incarnation before developing apps for the current. It's a safe bet we'll see the evolution to a BBOS-QNX hybrid (ie Project Highlander) around a year after OS7, give or take.

Devs will work with what's available to make money now. That won't hinder their ability to make more apps and more money later.

To get anyhwere near ios's app library would take a monumental effort tbh.
    Who really wants that? Just my own opinion, but I don't want to see AW or MH be even "near" the iOS App Store. I tried to so through App Store on my bro's iPhone, and founded it so crowded that it was counter-productive. There is such a thing as offering too many products, and IMHO that's where the App Store lies.
    05-18-11 03:17 PM
    Yes plenty of apps were available upon release of OS 4.6-4.7.1, OS5, and OS6.

RIM will release an SDK and device simulators for testing apps prior to release to ensure a new device won't be "app-less" when it comes to market.
    05-18-11 03:20 PM
    it will be simple to update apps. They don't need re-writing but for them to took their best, the developers will need to update the apps with larger graphical elements. Should be extremely easy if their graphic designers make the elements origionally far bigger than need be... like I do :P
    05-18-11 04:23 PM
    I read in one thread that one of the lucky people who have gotten their hands on the 9900 has been able to run only 10 of the 50 or so apps they had on their previous BB. I only run about 20 apps but I would hate to be without any of them. I hope that changes before the global launch.
    07-26-11 12:20 PM
    It's the same thing every time we get a new generation of hardware of firmware.

And if you hear that kind of info, you have to ask the person already has the apps on device or not. If they do and they don't work, fair enough. If they are trying to DL their apps onto their new device, that's a different story. The app stores like App World, Mobihand / CB Superstore, etc, all recognize the type of device you're using. Many apps are listed for specific device models and the developers probably haven't bothered to add 9900/9930 to the list of compatible devices yet since it's still pre-release.
    Hope that made sense.

Anyway, you'll see most apps (or at least a lot) available within a month or two of release, if not earlier or hopefully compatible by the release date.

Themes will be longer.
    07-26-11 03:16 PM
    Yes plenty of apps were available upon release of OS 4.6-4.7.1, OS5, and OS6.

RIM will release an SDK and device simulators for testing apps prior to release to ensure a new device won't be "app-less" when it comes to market.
    The difference this time around is that like it or not there is a perception among many (including developers) that RIM/Blackberry is on the decline. I've already seen some apps or sites that have discontinued their support for Blackberry instead choosing to focus on other platforms. I've also seen many other introduce Android/Iphone apps and completely bypass Blackberry. I definitely think it's a valid concern that there may be a dearth of applications that will be updated for OS7, especially if there is a lot of work involved to update the applications. I guess time will tell.
    08-07-11 11:51 AM
    I will buy the BB 9900 because it's a faster phone than my Torch 9800 and my Bold 9700.

It has all what I need: camera, browse, GChat, and BBM. I can't give up BBM!
    08-07-11 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD