Alright in one month it my contract with Telus will be up and it will be time to get a new phone. I have had my Curve 8330 for 3 years now and I love it. However I would like to get a new phone. So tell me why I would want to trade my Curve 8330 for the Torch.

Also I have one question about the Torch. (see below)

Do you have to use the qwerty key board to text BBM friends or can you use the touch keyboard it comes with?

Thanks,
    Claudia
    05-15-11 06:02 PM
    Its really up to you. If you need convincing then maybe the torch isn't for you? IMO it's close being the best berry to date(other would argue the bold series in any form is the best BB. To each there own.).

On your keyboard question, you can use the virtual keyboard anywhere you can use the physical, with the exception of homescreen keyboard shortcuts, you need the physical keyboard for that.
    Mrlovkim and Miss Claudia like this.
    05-15-11 06:13 PM
    You will also be able to run all sorts of OS6 programs, pick from awesome new Themes and Wallpapers, a much better web browser experience. Also be able to use WIFI at home and remote locations. Much more system memory, a much faster system processor, and a much bigger screen. Battery life is a lot longer and memory leakage is almost none at all. I was impressed moving from the Curve 8330 and I am more pleased everyday. You can use either keyboard you feel comfortable using. Some things will
    have to be used with the physical keyboard.
    Last edited by MrLynd54; 05-15-11 at 06:34 PM.
    Mrlovkim and Miss Claudia like this.
    05-15-11 06:30 PM
    I trade my 9700 for a 9800 I LOVE IT!
    Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 06:50 PM
    The Torch is my first BB and I love it.had it for almost four months and have no complaints for this device other then I can't seem to put it down.
    Last edited by Mrlovkim; 05-15-11 at 08:19 PM.
    Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 07:08 PM
    I've had many Blackberries. Curves and Bolds and I must say that this Torch (I have one in white) is the best blackberry that I have ever owned.
    Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 08:18 PM
    Torch is my WORST bb. Had curve 8900 then storm 9520.

Any phone with moving mechanism is a no-no for me from now on.
    Software wise is fantastic tho. Love e bb interface compared to any other os out there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 08:22 PM
    The Torch is definitely a worthy device - the best to date in my opinion. BUT, you may want to read the previews on the Bold Touch. There isn't an official release date available yet, but if you're happy with your current device maybe you could be patient a few more months and look at the new flagship BB. Hope this helps. ~ecm

Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 08:25 PM
    Save your uopgrade until new devices are released later this year... Torch 2, or coming from an 8330 I would say bold 9900...

Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 09:03 PM
    Do it! I upgraded my iPhone 3G to a Blackberry Torch two days ago and aside from a couple of frustrations (e.g. no Yahoo calendar sync), I like it. Having both a touch screen and a physical keyboard is really the best of both worlds.
    Miss Claudia likes this.
    05-15-11 09:37 PM
    Do it! I upgraded my iPhone 3G to a Blackberry Torch two days ago and aside from a couple of frustrations (e.g. no Yahoo calendar sync), I like it. Having both a touch screen and a physical keyboard is really the best of both worlds.
    Hey RobZ1986, thanks so much for your message. I do not use the Yahoo calendar but I do have my email through Yahoo. Do you also have a problem with that as well?

C
    05-15-11 09:43 PM
    Miss C,
    If you are coming from the 8330 to the Torch, then you will be blown away it is a major step up from that phone ( the 8330 still ranks as one of my top bb's of all time) You will notice the huge bright screen which is plenty clear for most....also.. the biggest upgrade is the web browsing...and there are some neat apps too....

good luck wh your decision, search around here and ask ?'s if you cant find the answers you are looking for most of us are happy to help
    05-16-11 12:50 AM
    The Torch is definitely a worthy device - the best to date in my opinion. BUT, you may want to read the previews on the Bold Touch. There isn't an official release date available yet, but if you're happy with your current device maybe you could be patient a few more months and look at the new flagship BB. Hope this helps. ~ecm

also a very good point..there are some up to date phones coming out...if you MUST, then yes upgrade...if you can wait, then I;d say to tough it out ...cause the new models will be worth the wait from what it appears
    05-16-11 12:53 AM
    You will love the torch, however, as others have said, the torch 2 and other newer devices are going to be released within the next few months. Might be worth the wait if you hold onto phones for a long time.
    05-16-11 12:55 AM
    Hey RobZ1986, thanks so much for your message. I do not use the Yahoo calendar but I do have my email through Yahoo. Do you also have a problem with that as well?

C
    I use Yahoo mail. No problem with it on the Torch.

05-16-11 03:05 AM
    At this point, I would wait for one of the newer models coming out. With that said, the Torch is obviously a major upgrade from the 8330 in almost every way except one: the keyboard. I think the 83xx series keyboard was one of the best to date, next to the Bold 9000. If you're still loving your Curve to this day, then I'm assuming you're using it primarily as a communication and messaging device (as opposed to a browsing or multimedia friendly phone). If that's the case, then I'm going to guess that the keyboard would probably be one of the most important features to consider on the phone.
    The Torch keyboard, while far better than having a virtual keyboard, is one of the lower-end keyboards in terms of usability. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it is the worst of all the non-Suretype, full QWERTY keyboards for BlackBerrys. Don't get me wrong: I still love the keyboard and can't imagine going without it. However, it is one of the main reasons why I'd consider getting a Bold Touch.
    05-16-11 03:12 AM
    To answer your question, no, you don't have to use the qwerty keyboard when sending texts and BBMs, you can use the touch or choose to slide out your keyboard.. Which I find is a nice feature, especially when you are just sending a quick message to someone. I mostly use my keyboard when I am emailing or sending a really long text.

Now, you have to be happy with the phone you are getting. Before you purchase it, try it out and see how it feels. We can all tell your what's great about the phone and what's not so great, but that's just us.

However, my thought on the Torch is it is a great phone. I love BBs anyway because I am not someone who needs all these pointless apps and everything that people are complaining that Blackberry's should have, I am happy with Sudoku and the daily Lexicon. I find the phone is faster than my pervious Curve 85xx series, and Blackberry 6 is great, I fell in love the first time using it. The ability to use a touch screen or a Qwerty is really nice too.

There are a few newer models coming out in the next few months, but if you find a phone now that you really love, go with your gut!
    Masahiro likes this.
    05-16-11 07:13 AM
    I love BBs anyway because I am not someone who needs all these pointless apps and everything that people are complaining that Blackberry's should have, I am happy with Sudoku and the daily Lexicon.
    Haha. I agree with you so hard, it hurts. Sudoku is pretty much the only game app I have on my phone, and probably one of maybe 8 or so apps, most of which are utility based.
    05-16-11 07:23 AM
    I have those two games, and I have Business New, Automotive News, CBC News, and a few other new based apps only for me to keep up on current things. I am really satisfied with what I have, if I wasn't I would have my Torch.
    05-16-11 07:25 AM
    As some others have suggested you might want to wait. Telus will probably try to rope you into a 3yr contract. 4 months in and you'll have wished you would have waited...
    05-16-11 07:28 AM
    I would Opt for the 99xx.
    9900 looks much more promising.
    05-16-11 07:29 AM
    its all up to u if u wanna get a torch or not but in my opinion i just change from a pearl 3g to a torch and i love it cause u have so many different ways to use the phone... either touchscreen or u can navigate with the trackpad.. they have both a keyboard and a on screen touch screen keyboard u get to choose which one u feel more comfortable using.. maybe the phone is a bit heavier then other blackberry and u get a big screen good for watching videos and stuff... but its up to you but i personally love the phone first day i used it
    05-16-11 12:50 PM
    Coming from an 83xx you would be happy with either the 9700 or the 9800.
    I found the 9700 was one of the best BB units i have used. Very stable and reliable. The 9800 is also good but as one individual mentioned the 9800 does have a tendency to have a mechanical failure. I have seen a number of them come thru my office with bad ribbon cables that connect the top half to the bottom half. I am sure they will get that resolved eventually. I went from an 83xx to an 8900, then 9000, back to 8900 then 9700 and now 9800.
    05-16-11 04:32 PM

C
    No problems with my Yahoo e-mail, Miss Claudia. In fact, another item I appreciate on the Torch is that my Yahoo e-mail account syncs contacts over the air, which the iPhone does not.
    05-16-11 06:41 PM
    RobZ1986 how does yahoo email not sync over the air with an iPhone?
    I set up several yahoo mail accts on an iPhone before and it synced just fine.
    05-17-11 08:24 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD