I had a quick look around and I haven't found any articles or videos where the 9900 has music playing and it goes to another track.

Currently I have OS5 still and considering the new 9900 as long as my fingers aren't too big for the keyboard, but does anyone know if there are any gaps when one track ends and another begins?
    05-15-11 08:16 AM
    I don't recall that problem on OS5, and I certainly don't have it on OS6... so I'd imagine it'll be fine on OS7
    d1n_only likes this.
    05-15-11 08:30 AM
    For true gapless playback of compressed audio files (MP3s, OGG Vorbis, etc...), I think the media player requires CUE sheet support. No matter how fast the processor is, there may still be tiny gaps between each track without the information from the CUE sheet file that stipulates how long the track is down to the nanosecond.

Now, it has been a while since I last looked into this, so I could be wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 01:52 PM
    For true gapless playback of compressed audio files (MP3s, OGG Vorbis, etc...), I think the media player requires CUE sheet support. No matter how fast the processor is, there may still be tiny gaps between each track without the information from the CUE sheet file that stipulates how long the track is down to the nanosecond.

Now, it has been a while since I last looked into this, so I could be wrong.

Actually I have found that the 9700 running OS 6 will at a minimum play FLAC files completely gaplessly. OS 5 didn't even support FLAC, let alone any gapless playback. I do indeed think that the issue was a software one. Another positive thing I have noticed is that the music player now recognises the BAND field in MP3s, which can be useful to stick stuff like Various Artists in compilation albums (leaving the standard Artist entry for the track artist).
    05-16-11 10:56 PM
    FLAC is a lossless format though, not compressed like MP3s, which is not gapless on OS6. It's gotten a lot better though. The gap is much smaller than before on OS5. However, it can be very bothersome to have any gap at all, especially with some songs fading into another on a lot of albums.

Last edited by Masahiro; 05-17-11 at 12:40 AM.
    05-17-11 12:35 AM
    FLAC is a lossless format though, not compressed like MP3s, which is not gapless on OS6. It's gotten a lot better though. The gap is much smaller than before on OS5. However, it can be very bothersome to have any gap at all, especially with some songs fading into another on a lot of albums.

Sadly, the MP3 format was not designed with gapless playback in mind. Some players can do some workarounds to emulate gapless playback but that's all that we'd see. Ogg Vorbis does not have this issue as it was designed from the ground up to be gapless & have sample-accurate seeking.
    05-17-11 01:32 AM
    OGG Vorbis is natively gapless? I'll have to test that out. I simply don't have any albums in that format at this point. It's too bad MP3s aren't natively gapless, with it obviously being the most pervasive codec out there. Another issue is that OGGs are known to drain the battery faster than MP3s on MP3 players. I'm assuming the same is true for phones.
    05-17-11 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD