I got my cousin's old 9650 yesterday (from verizon) and I successfully moved it to my network (I am on Cincinnati Bell) and the EDGE service is working fine. I am mostly wondering if anyone on here is using a 9650 on Cincinnati Bell and is getting 3G service?

I have a 3G sim card and their network's 3G is UMTS 2100 and 1700 which should be compatible with the 9650's HSDPA 2100 antenna right? or is there something else I need to do to make it work other than plugging in the sim card?

I have done some searches and it seems I may have to change service books or something to get it to work but I was hoping someone could confirm this for me or not. Thanks.
    Last edited by quam; 05-13-11 at 02:46 PM.
    05-13-11 02:44 PM
    Unfortunately, you will not be able to get 3G on any North American GSM carrier's network with a 9650. It only gets 3G overseas, due to the frequency bands.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-13-11 04:10 PM
    Unfortunately, you will not be able to get 3G on any North American GSM carrier's network with a 9650. It only gets 3G overseas, due to the frequency bands.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Thanks. After talking again with Cincinnati bell I noticed they require BOTH 1700 and 2100, not either or. When I was originally told their frequencies by another person in the store I assumed he meant your phone could have either frequency but apparently it requires both.

I have one other question I'd like to ask though, Cincinnati Bell offers a "fusion wifi" service that allows you to send texts and make calls (they count as off peak even during peak time hours) over wifi. Does anyone know how/if I could get this service to work using this verizon phone if at all? I would assume that would be solely software since I can browse the internet with wifi now but I don't know what I need to do.
    05-14-11 01:27 AM
    Thanks. After talking again with Cincinnati bell I noticed they require BOTH 1700 and 2100, not either or. When I was originally told their frequencies by another person in the store I assumed he meant your phone could have either frequency but apparently it requires both.

I have one other question I'd like to ask though, Cincinnati Bell offers a "fusion wifi" service that allows you to send texts and make calls (they count as off peak even during peak time hours) over wifi. Does anyone know how/if I could get this service to work using this verizon phone if at all? I would assume that would be solely software since I can browse the internet with wifi now but I don't know what I need to do.
    you will need to edit the engineering screen and set up their UMA protocol info in there. here is a writeup someone did to get UMA working on their unlocked Torch on t-mobile. you will need all the info for Bell's network and their service books. may need to call them to get all the escreen info needed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/gu...mobile-513720/
    05-14-11 02:32 AM
    Cool, that thread helped a lot, didn't think to search UMA for it even after seeing that all the time when I was on WIFI with my last phone. Now I just gotta search around and figure out where I can get the Cincinnati Bell service books I guess then. They're not a nationwide carrier so that might be a tall feat I'm thinking LOL

Even without UMA or 3G I'm loving my 9650 though. Had an 8320 that I upgraded from and it is a HUGE difference!
    05-15-11 12:43 PM
    you may have trouble finding the needed certificates. call them and ask maybe. or have someone extract them from their branded UMA enabled Bell phone.
    05-15-11 07:53 PM
    you may have trouble finding the needed certificates. call them and ask maybe. or have someone extract them from their branded UMA enabled Bell phone.
    Cool, hopefully I can extract them off of my old blackberry then since I had an 8320 that UMA worked on for this carrier.

Haven't had a lot of time this weekend with a bunch of family events and a friend coming in from out of town so thanks a ton for helping to give me a bit of a jumping off point to do some research on these forums and figure out how to get this working.
    05-16-11 01:57 AM
    Cool, hopefully I can extract them off of my old blackberry then since I had an 8320 that UMA worked on for this carrier.

Haven't had a lot of time this weekend with a bunch of family events and a friend coming in from out of town so thanks a ton for helping to give me a bit of a jumping off point to do some research on these forums and figure out how to get this working.
    no problem. ive never used UMA nor set it up. but im sure once you get the settings correct (maybe you can pull them off your old device if you go into its e-screen) im sure it may work.

only thing is, is the 9650 UMA capable? i know most of the newer gsm phones are, but i dont know about their CDMA phones. i think you may hit a snag with that. but then again, you will be using the GSM radio, so maybe not.
    05-16-11 03:04 AM
    That's a good question, I kind of assumed it would be more something software related since it has wifi and is running on a carrier that supports UMA.

Hopefully I can get it to work though, I'm loving my 9650 but without UMA or 3G it's making me want to pay up and buy the 9780. Would rather spend the $200 on something else if I can get at least the UMA to work though.
    05-16-11 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD