The envy and jealousy is killing me, RIM said Q2 for playbook UK release, I'm sick of waiting, I can't wait to get my hands on it, so much so; I am sacrificing my iP4 to buy it, that will leave me with the torch and PB. When is it coming to the UK? Anyone!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 12:08 PM
    It's been available through Amazon for a while, but those are US imports.

A few days ago the 16gig was �460 in there, but it's now �389.99 from a different seller.

Anyone know if these are still US imports? Is it likely to be any cheaper than that in the UK?
    05-13-11 12:13 PM
    About that price range, it is coming soon. Well worth the wait as I've had one for about a month now and love it Don't forget, Q2 lasts all the way up until the end of June
    05-13-11 12:23 PM
    If its an import will I get a compatible UK mains charger? Prcing at 389 don't seem too bad, however, I think the official release might slightly be cheaper than amazon.

05-13-11 12:26 PM
    I have 1-click buying on there too, how I've not bought it is beyond me.

What disadvantages are there to me getting the US version?
    05-13-11 12:26 PM
    I think it's coming in June according to Three mobile
    05-13-11 12:30 PM
    It's been available through Amazon for a while, but those are US imports.
    but amazon still say they are recieving the official accessories on the 9th of may, erm that was monday and it still says it lol.

you could (if you know someone in the USA) purchase and import one, cost about the same, i did it with torch which was same price, worked out cheaper than uk torch
    05-13-11 12:34 PM
    How does it affect warranty though?
    05-13-11 12:37 PM
    the warranty is international and blackberry takes care of it, not the seller though!
    05-13-11 12:40 PM
    How does it affect warranty though?
    i dont know warranty wise, iv always gone on the assumption my torch has no warranty (short of maybe sending it back to RIM themselves at great cost).

as for my playbook it was a free dev unit, so cant say what it costs to get one into country
    05-13-11 12:43 PM
    im not sure if this is an indicator but i ordered the official blackberry playbook case from amazon uk, i just got a message saying the supplier (RIM) has advised them the stock now wont be available until June 19th - July 23rd.

i wonder if this reflects the Playbook uk release date.
    05-13-11 12:50 PM
    im not sure if this is an indicator but i ordered the official blackberry playbook case from amazon uk, i just got a message saying the supplier (RIM) has advised them the stock now wont be available until June 19th - July 23rd.

i wonder if this reflects the Playbook uk release date.
    yup i got same, site still says 9th may tho lol
    05-13-11 12:55 PM
    can anyone else comment on the warranty? is it definitely covered if I buy it now? any other disadvantages to not waiting?

sorry for being persistent but it's quite an investment for me! don't want to rush if I shouldn't.
    05-13-11 01:19 PM
    wonder how many customers RIM will lose due to their poor co-ordination when it comes to releases? Only reason I am considering it because it can be tethered to bb, whereas the iPad does not with iP4 which I already have, jb might remedy this? Do a bit more research, I might just get the damn iPad, if it's not coming till July, that's another customer lost RIM
    05-13-11 01:54 PM
    I bought my 16GB PlayBook from ebay brand new for �370 and free postage works perfectly. I can confirm that the included ("premium") 1.8A microUSB charger works perfectly as it has a rated input of 110-240v 50-60Hz. It is of course 2 pin so you can use any old shaver adapter to plug it in.

Software wise you can make the app store work in GBP as well as the music store. I have also made a purchase via app world via PayPal and can confirm it works fine.

Software updates are also working perfectly. You can even choose UK for the keyboard and the tethering profiles include UK carriers. I've had my PlayBook for over a week now and haven't noticed any import issues at all. So basically an imported PlayBook is already designed to work perfectly here - you just need a simple adaptor to plug it in to the mains.
    lafayett and MuruXD like this.
    05-13-11 02:01 PM
    if youre paying around 370gbp youre doing well. I got mine while in canada and paid with my uk card. Final amount was 369.69 on my statement. I imagine that it'll be 399 when they finally release it here. BB is the number 1 phone maker in the uk so i think theyre trying to iron out any issues with the north american version then you'll see them really attack the UK market bc they assume that british consumers are used to technology delays.
    05-13-11 03:32 PM
    if youre paying around 370gbp youre doing well. I got mine while in canada and paid with my uk card. Final amount was 369.69 on my statement. I imagine that it'll be 399 when they finally release it here. BB is the number 1 phone maker in the uk so i think theyre trying to iron out any issues with the north american version then you'll see them really attack the UK market bc they assume that british consumers are used to technology delays.

Can I ask where you got that info from?
    05-13-11 04:00 PM
    Can I ask where you got that info from?
    2010 smartphone market. in the UK BB held the highest percentage
    Doz007 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:22 PM
    Thanks lads or ladets, I am going to order mine and hopefully have 1 by midweek, not desperate to keep my iphone but them damn ads about that go, if you don't have an iphone, well you don't have an iphone, are just gonna force me to keep my iphone lol

05-13-11 05:55 PM
    As for the warrenty thing RIM handles that. After the 14 day period (which have you to return the unit) RIM handles all issues. If you have to send it back for any issue you have to call the help line. If they can't help you fix it over the phone they shipp you another device and you send your to them (and if you don't ship it they charge you for the replacement unit). I hope this helps.

05-13-11 06:25 PM
    As for the warrenty thing RIM handles that. After the 14 day period (which have you to return the unit) RIM handles all issues. If you have to send it back for any issue you have to call the help line. If they can't help you fix it over the phone they shipp you another device and you send your to them (and if you don't ship it they charge you for the replacement unit). I hope this helps.

um, i don't think RIM are quite that generous. Once they start selling and supporting them in the UK maybe, but until then I'd be very surprised if you didn't have to ship the defective unit to/from the States or Canada at your cost.
    05-13-11 08:33 PM
    Couldn't wait. On its way
    05-13-11 09:13 PM
    Couldn't wait. On its way
    if you dont have a adaptor for plug ya have 2 options really at the mo, either charge via usb/normal charger, its not fast charging so it`ll really get on ya nerves (trust me on that) or get a usa power converter, pc world had a proper robust one with 1.5meter cable too, was �20, couldnt be happier.

what id add is play.com just added some of the accesories including rapid charger and desktop charging pod thingy with an availability date of 19th may, so i`ll be keeping my eye on that
    05-13-11 09:26 PM
    I bought mine from an ebay seller Digigood whos based in the UK for �370 delivered.

Received it yday and works great! no issues at all!! He's got a few more left i think!!
    05-14-11 03:46 AM
    Yep, as was said above, everything works fine with the addition of a simple shaving adaptor.

You can use any old BB charger, but it will be mighty slow! Better to just get a little adaptor and use the more-than-twice-as-fast PB charger.

There was a problem in the first few days of Bridge and some Apps not being available for us in Europe, but RIM must have been advised and flipped the switch to turn us on. Now EVERYTHING available in the US is available to us here.

Warranty is also not an issue as RIM took it out of the hands of the sellers (read 'Carriers') and took it on themselves. So wherever you buy your PB, if you are in a RIM authorised country, they will cover you.

By the way the delay in some cases, especially the convertible case, is because they have been withdrawn as faulty. Also be careful with some of the eBay cases that were designed before the makers had their hands on a device. They got the measurements from the blogoshphere and didn't allow for the gesture area in the borders. AVOID cases that cover the border area!

This has worked great for me, adding no bulk at all, and still pocketable in my jacket
    Tinyk likes this.
    05-14-11 04:05 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD