a couple of days ago my trackpad began to scroll up by itself and it was difficult scrolling down as it just went bak up agen, this makes it difficult to type messages and ive noticed it happens more when im outside or my fone is cold -_-
    its a curve 9300 3g by the ways
    any ideas???
    05-12-11 05:03 PM
    I had the same problem After tech support tried a wipe and reload, they concluded it was a problem with the phone and replaced it.
    A Google search reveals that we're not alone. The problem seems to be with the trackpad. It looks like replacement of the trackpad is the only solution. Or phone replacement if you're still under warranty, as I was.
    Good luck.
    05-12-11 07:37 PM
    My wifes does the same thing. I have tried to get her to take it back to best buy but she said she will just live with it. I dont know how she does it, drives me insane and i hardly ever mess with it.
    05-12-11 07:45 PM
    I had the same issue with a new 3G curve last week,i took back to the o2 shop and got a replacement,mine scrolled down on its own and seemed worse when in a dark room ?

was strange indeed lol
    05-14-11 04:26 AM
    Mine scrolls down as well, specially in low light conditions...
    05-14-11 07:48 AM
    hi everyone

I've encountered exactly the same problem.
    I bought the Curve 9300 as a PAYG handset from an O2 shop about 5 months ago.

Should I take it back into the shop and they should replace it?
    Or should I go straight to BB?

As far as I'm aware, the manufacturer is responsible for any technical faults for 6 months from the time of purchase?
    05-16-11 05:26 AM
    i had this problem on a few Torch devices i got from at&t. its a hardware problem. either take the phone apart yourself and replace the trackpad ($12-15 online and voids the warranty) or have your carrier replace the phone under warranty if there is still one. the problem will probably get worse over time and OS reloads will not fix it. the trackpad optics are defective and cannot be corrected.
    05-16-11 05:29 AM
    hi everyone

I've encountered exactly the same problem.
    I bought the Curve 9300 as a PAYG handset from an O2 shop about 5 months ago.

Should I take it back into the shop and they should replace it?
    Or should I go straight to BB?

As far as I'm aware, the manufacturer is responsible for any technical faults for 6 months from the time of purchase?
    I'd take it back to o2 and see what they say,tell them youve researched online and its a known issue with BB users,i was lucky because the fault on my phone showed its self as soon as i bought it
    05-17-11 02:57 AM
    I'd take it back to o2 and see what they say,tell them youve researched online and its a known issue with BB users,i was lucky because the fault on my phone showed its self as soon as i bought it
    i think you're right, that's the best thing to do.
    i have had an email from BB support to say they think it's a software issue so to backup the device and reload the software.

I can backup the device through Desktop Manager... but how do I go about reloading the software? should I do some kind of factory restore... any advice how to do this?

I'll try that this evening and if it doesn't work, will take it into the O2 shop tomorrow
    05-17-11 03:04 AM
    I actually tried this before returning it to o2, i tried a full system wipe and also loading up a back up

neither of these fixed the problem

for a full system wipe try: options>security options>security wipe

in desktop manager simply use the back up and restore uptions under the device tab (top left corner)
    05-17-11 08:21 AM
    thanks Chris, will give that a go

from what I've read online, I don't think the restore will help as it would seem general concensus is that it is an optical issue, not a software one.

at least when I take it into the O2 shop, I can say I've done a restore... and if (hopefully) they offer an immediate replacement, then the broken handset will have had all personal information deleted and I can hand it straight over to them
    05-17-11 08:29 AM
    as thought, a complete security wipe hasn't made any difference to the 'jumping' issue.

I know it's not an OS6 problem because I have an identical handset and setup and have no issues.

off to the O2 shop tomorrow where it was bought, fingers crossed they'll offer a replacement there and then?
    I have all the original packaging, receipt, etc.
    05-17-11 01:03 PM
    update - handset returned to O2 shop, no arguments at all, they'll send it back to BB for repair/replacement. shop manager seemed to recognise the problem as a known one... should get a handset back in 7-10 days.
    05-18-11 09:56 AM
    Hummm, I have a friend who just replaced her older curve with the curve 3g on vzw because her trackpad quit working. Hope she doesn't have that same trouble with the new one.
    05-18-11 10:05 AM
    Hummm, I have a friend who just replaced her older curve with the curve 3g on vzw because her trackpad quit working. Hope she doesn't have that same trouble with the new one.
    i wouldn't worry too much, i bought the same handset from the same shop about 3 weeks later (the first was a gift, then I really wanted one myself!) ... and my handset has been fine. most likely a 'dodgy' batch of handsets or just an unfortunate bit of internal damage maybe.
    05-18-11 12:04 PM
    update - handset returned to O2 shop, no arguments at all, they'll send it back to BB for repair/replacement. shop manager seemed to recognise the problem as a known one... should get a handset back in 7-10 days.
    thats good to hear mate ! , altho i would have expected them to replace it there and then ? or maybe its coz ud had it for a while ? either way lets hope they replace it with a brand new one
    05-19-11 05:07 AM
    i reckon O2 will just replace the trackpad, as it sounds like a hardware failure. that'll be cheaper for them, no doubt, than supplying a new handset. though who knows... may get a call to say they will just issue a new one

they have an online service where you can track the progress of the repair at o2.co.uk/repairs which is quite good... at least you're not sat in the dark for ages wondering what's happening!
    Last edited by secretmachines; 05-19-11 at 05:15 AM.
    05-19-11 05:13 AM
    sadly dont have warranty!
    so im thinking maybe buy a new trackpad online and fit it?
    if so how much will a trackpad cost and can it be done easliy?
    and what tools would i need?
    thanks for the help ppl!
    05-20-11 05:11 PM
    sadly dont have warranty!
    so im thinking maybe buy a new trackpad online and fit it?
    if so how much will a trackpad cost and can it be done easliy?
    and what tools would i need?
    thanks for the help ppl!
    Khan, when did you buy the handset?
    I seem to recall there is some info on youtbe about replacing the trackpad
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-21-11 12:45 AM
    this is a hardware problem, if your bb has warranty, USE IT immediately to get a replacement, if not... changing the trackpad is the only way to go, i had one brand new 9300 for about 3 days, with the exact problem, scroll moving itself in low light conditions, went to the store, show to the manager -the costumer service tried to take it away for 30 days to send it to RIM, in canada, i'm in mexico!- and when he saw the problem in the bathroom -LOW light- i got a brand new bb in 2 days, no problems at all, no questions asked, new warranty and problem solved. i LOVE the 9300 without that stupid problem, really really it's awful trying living with that, srsly.

good luck to everyone with this issue... it's a pain in the A**!

EDIT: one piece of advice, if you get your warranty for the bb, make sure you CHECK IT INSIDE THE STORE before leaving, ask for the bathroom and turn off the lights, here in mexico -with telcel- if you leave the store with the bb, and shows a problem outside the store, it's really really hard to get another change of device... just because you left the building. SO, take your chip, lock yourself in the bathroom for 5 minutes, and use the bb, use it with several things just to make sure... if the new bb has the same problem, just take it again for a change =) hope someone find this helpful, i struggled a lot when i got my first 9300 with this problem.
    Last edited by ppchkn; 05-21-11 at 02:09 AM.
    khan1995 likes this.
    05-21-11 02:04 AM
    i'm not sure how consumer rights differ in the US, but here in the UK if your phone (or any device, electrical item, etc.) develops a technical fault (e.g. NOT you breaking it, damaging it, etc.) in the first 6 months of you buying it, then the retailer/store has a duty to repair/replace it within a 'reasonable' time. You do not need insurance, extended warranty, etc. just proof of purchase from the store.
    05-21-11 02:58 AM
    Color the ENTIRE trackpad w/a black sharpie. Even over the silver edge. It fixed mine Works great! Lemme know if it works on anybody elses k, thanks!

khan1995 likes this.
    05-25-11 05:13 AM
    trackpad replaced, working as new
    05-27-11 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD