Dear all,

I recently got a Bold 9700 just to discover that my phone provider is the only one in Australia without the RIM licencing which means I cannot access internet from my BB even though it is in my plan, and of course the BES services such as the chat are also not working. I don't wanna change providers and would like to keep my BB, does anybody know a way around it?
    05-12-11 02:14 AM
    No there is no work around. But I'm confused to how you provider has given your a Blackberry tarrif if they are unable to provide Blackberry services??

I would suggest moving to another provider and breaking of your contract on the grounds your paying for a service they are simply unable to provide.
    05-12-11 03:43 AM
    Actually there could be...

You would need to get ahold of someone's backup from a 9700. Via Desktop Manager, if you do a selective restore and add their saved Service Books file to your 9700.
    (Because the carrier doesn't have its own BIS service, it won't push its own service books through—since it doesn't have any!)

In theory this should offer you the Browser and connectivity for some other apps too. Obviously you won't have BBM or Messages.

This works for some older devices with other carriers. I have no idea if it will work for you.

All that being said, I would recommend like the others that you find a way to switch providers and enjoy the true BlackBerry experience, with all of its features available to you.
    05-12-11 06:44 PM
    No there is no work around. But I'm confused to how you provider has given your a Blackberry tarrif if they are unable to provide Blackberry services??

I would suggest moving to another provider and breaking of your contract on the grounds your paying for a service they are simply unable to provide.
    I'm pretty sure she just meant that internet was part of her plan, not that she had paid for a BB plan.

Most smartphones only require a generic data plan, while BB's require a BlackBerry-specific data plan, otherwise there is no access to the BIS coverage.
    05-12-11 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the help guys. So BIS aside, is there no way for me to hack the blackberry so that it accesses the internet just like any other smartphone? Maybe there are apps that simply force the blackberry to log onto the internet like a normal smartphone?
    05-15-11 02:37 AM
    Thanks for the help guys. So BIS aside, is there no way for me to hack the blackberry so that it accesses the internet just like any other smartphone? Maybe there are apps that simply force the blackberry to log onto the internet like a normal smartphone?
    Unfortunitely, no, there is not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 02:38 AM
    you can use Opera or Bolt browsers to use the internet, as long as your carriers TCP/IP settings are properly typed into the phone.

if your carrier does NOT have BIS/BES as an option, then you will not be able to use the blackberry browser or any blackberry related services (email, BBM, applications etc).
    05-15-11 03:23 AM
    Did you read my 1st post�?

Dictoresno is correct above also.

So if the way I mentioned does work, you would be able to use the native Browser for regular internet use.
    Otherwise, you can find a desktop install version of those 3rd party browsers, Bolt or Opera Mini, and try to figure out the proper settings.
    05-15-11 07:13 AM
    sue him and them ask for big compensation...
    these wireless carrier fools innocent people and make lot money..
    do it..
    05-15-11 12:48 PM
    sue him and them ask for big compensation...
    these wireless carrier fools innocent people and make lot money..
    do it..
    wat????

i doubt the carrier sold the OP the phone, especially if they dont have BIS plans. looks like the OP didnt do some homework prior to buying a used handset.
    05-15-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD