Overnight I got an email on the BB telling me I wasn't going to get any email from my personal account, and I should go to setup, reenter my password, and all would be well.

It has the look of a classic lowbrow scam (except the spelling was fine), but I can't see how anyone on the outside could intercept the info if all I do is use setup to enter data.

But then when I started to comply and reset my email account info, the BB said it was looking for an update and then appeared to be downloading something. I hadn't seen that happen before, and decided to quit and think about it awhile.

Is this common?

Am I being paranoid about government snooping..?
    05-10-11 07:37 AM
    its a scam. I heard about this yesterday, DONT RESET OR CLICK ANYTHING! Seriously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 07:56 AM
    Can you post the email for the rest of us to see.
    05-10-11 07:59 AM
    Sometimes it's necessary to go into the BIS account and reset ("validate") certain passwords like yahoo email, aol mail, etc. It's happened to me a few times. I've even had to do it from the computer because it doesn't always work from the mobile. But who is the email from? That would be helpful to know. Also, you could always test it by sending yourself some emails (to your various pushed email accounts) from your computer. See if they come through on your mobile device.

05-10-11 08:00 AM
    I see others have already warned not to follow the instructions. Do try to show us the email if you can.

05-10-11 08:01 AM
    Sometimes it's necessary to go into the BIS account and reset ("validate") certain passwords like yahoo email, aol mail, etc. It's happened to me a few times.
    Strange Of the two years I've had my Storm, I've never had to do this.
    05-10-11 08:02 AM
    Strange Of the two years I've had my Storm, I've never had to do this.
    That's okay. It's been few and far between for me, and I don't even remember why. It might have had something to do with my having changed my password on yahoo or msn while on my computer. That probably would have required me to change the password on BIS.

05-10-11 08:05 AM
    I agree with T�nis...I get this from time to time to validate my hotmail password. To be safe, I usually just log into BIS from a PC to enter it.

...but ya it would be great if you can post your email body.
    05-10-11 08:09 AM
    This is a standard POP3 account, not gmail, etc.

Maybe it's for real, because I tried to forward it to a different account, and it will only let me save a draft. There's no option to send.

The email is supposedly from blackberry.com. The subject is: Action Required, Validate Password.

The text is: Validate the password for Home in the BlackBerry Internet Service! Email messages from Home are not being delivered to your BlackBerry device. To resume receiving email from this email address, validate the password for Home in the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Then it goes on to give some general instructions. It also say one option is to visit the BIS web site. Didn't know there was such a thing.

"Home" is what I call my personal email account. Doesn't seem like a scammer would know that.
    05-10-11 08:12 AM
    The trick with all of these potential scams is just not to click the links in them.

If you get an email telling you to reset your email password on BIS go to either the email setup app on the phone or your carriers BIS website on the computer and do it there.

If you're online banking sends you an email asking you to do something don't click the link, go to the website itself.

If Paypal send you an email again ignore the link and go to the Paypal website.

I think you get the picture. Never click a link from an email that MAY be a scam, just go to the relevant website direct in your browser and if there is anything that needs doing you'll find out about it there and be able to do it from there.
    05-10-11 08:18 AM
    The email is supposedly from blackberry.com. The subject is: Action Required, Validate Password.

The text is: Validate the password for Home in the BlackBerry Internet Service! Email messages from Home are not being delivered to your BlackBerry device. To resume receiving email from this email address, validate the password for Home in the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Then it goes on to give some general instructions. It also say one option is to visit the BIS web site. Didn't know there was such a thing.

"Home" is what I call my personal email account. Doesn't seem like a scammer would know that.
    This sounds legit to me. Anyway, I doubt you could go wrong just by visiting or doing anything on your BIS web site. It's your account, after all. Just make sure you really go to your BIS account and that your page isn't being redirected.

05-10-11 08:20 AM
    The trick with all of these potential scams is just not to click the links in them.

If you get an email telling you to reset your email password on BIS go to either the email setup app on the phone or your carriers BIS website on the computer and do it there.

If you're online banking sends you an email asking you to do something don't click the link, go to the website itself.

If Paypal send you an email again ignore the link and go to the Paypal website.

I think you get the picture. Never click a link from an email that MAY be a scam, just go to the relevant website direct in your browser and if there is anything that needs doing you'll find out about it there and be able to do it from there.
    What I tried to say.

05-10-11 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD