I have a 500mb data plan with my BB on Rogers. I just set up my BT tethering on my PlayBook. I called Rogers to see if I could tether for free, and they said that it was free only for 1gb data plans or more.

So since my data plan is only 500mb, will Rogers charge me? Will they know when I'm tethering to my PlayBook, or will it just deduct data from my 500mb plan?
    05-09-11 09:45 PM
    Will Rogers has been dead for years. I doubt he cares what you do with your playbook.
    Cracker_Hughes and boman06210 like this.
    05-09-11 09:55 PM
    I called for the exact same purpose, and I asked what would happen if I tried to tether with my 500mb plan - the lady just said it wouldn't work. I asked if they would ever charge me extra and she said no it just simply wouldn't work. Since I didn't want to test it and have to call again, I just went ahead and doubled my data to 1gb for $5 and have been tethering ever since. So I guess if you can get it to work then stick with it, otherwise you can always double your data for $5.
    05-09-11 09:58 PM
    Bridge will work fine on that plan but as far as I know (I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time...lol)....you will not be able to tether at all on the 500mb Rogers plan.....the PB will tell you that you have to contact your service provider. So you will be forced to upgrade to the 1G...but I am pretty sure it is only $5 extra a month for an extra 500mb with Rogers.
    05-09-11 09:59 PM
    With rogers 500MB plan you can use the bridge browser for free, but you shouldn't be able to tether. You will be able to pair the devices for tethering but in the end rogers will block you for using the data connection
    05-09-11 10:02 PM
    The Rogers tethering soc has to be added to your account and it is only added for 1GB and higher data plans.
    05-09-11 10:06 PM
    The Rogers tethering soc has to be added to your account and it is only added for 1GB and higher data plans.
    correct.

10char
    05-09-11 10:28 PM
    Will Rogers has been dead for years. I doubt he cares what you do with your playbook.
    LMAO Good one
    05-09-11 10:40 PM
    Yeah I had to add the extra 500MB for tethering too and I get good speeds, 1.23Mbp down and 0.39 up and I'm able to stream upto 480p.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 11:15 PM
    OK. So I still have my 500mb data plan but I AM able to tether. I created a new profile in the PB settings, put internet.com for the access point and left the user and pass blank. It works perfectly fine and I was getting speeds of 1.36 download and 0.4 upload with speedtest.net

I'm just wondering if Rogers will be able to detect it and if they'll charge me.

** As a side note... To me, it's all a big scam. I rarely go over 200mb of data. Data is data. Why should I have to upgrade to 1gb? I know it's only $5 more per month, but it's the principle!! I mean, I have 60gb data plan with them for my house. Do they limit how many devices can use that data?? No!! So why is this any different?**
    05-11-11 03:05 PM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know, you can tether.

Go to the Tether Option:
    Create a New Profile, click on Add Profile
    Profile Name: rogers (all lower case! I put in Rogers at first and it didn't let me and greyed out my connect button)
    Access Point: put in internet.com
    Leave Username and Password blank and you should be connected. (Make sure both devices has bluetooth turned on)
    mrmarleau84 likes this.
    05-11-11 10:47 PM
    Like some people said. You CAN tether your PB on 500 MB Plan.
    Iv been doing it since day one of the PB Launch...a little side note though, my 500MB of data was quickly used up when tethered. Not sure from what but i used it ALL up
    05-12-11 12:08 AM
    Like some people said. You CAN tether your PB on 500 MB Plan.
    Iv been doing it since day one of the PB Launch...a little side note though, my 500MB of data was quickly used up when tethered. Not sure from what but i used it ALL up
    Yup. Was at 10MB before i started tethering and after an hour and a half of watching videos and surfing, i was at 278MB and that was only the 4th day into my billing cycle which sucked. You can tether on 500MB by bypassing it but theres a reason why Rogers wont let you and its for your own good. Just a precaution to everyone when tethering on a 500MB plan. Personally I wouldnt recommend it nor tether on a 500MB plan because I do alot of streaming and surfing so I can easily go over.
    05-12-11 12:22 AM
    Yup. Was at 10MB before i started tethering and after an hour and a half of watching videos and surfing, i was at 278MB and that was only the 4th day into my billing cycle which sucked. You can tether on 500MB by bypassing it but theres a reason why Rogers wont let you and its for your own good. Just a precaution to everyone when tethering on a 500MB plan. Personally I wouldnt recommend it nor tether on a 500MB plan because I do alot of streaming and surfing so I can easily go over.
    Thats true...500MB tether to PB is NOT Enough for since PB loads full websites with flash.
    500MB is more then enough for a average person on their BB because BBM and email are practically nothing and so is FB and twitter. Browsing on your BB is really not much either.
    First time iv gone over my Data :/ Sucked.
    But reading how its only an added 5$ for double Data..i may just do that.
    05-12-11 12:39 AM
    Yes, they will charge you for tethering if you have less than a 1GB plan. However, you can use the Bridge Browser and they wouldn't even know.
    05-12-11 05:30 AM
    Well, my bill arrives tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how much they charged me.

Someone else told me that if you do try to tether with a 500mb plan, that sometimes they automatically upgrade your account to the 1gb plan and just charge you the extra $5 (I guess that's better than all the overages).

05-12-11 05:45 AM
    if you guys use up 500mb in a matter of days how does 1gb help you? im thining of upgrading but unsure if its even worth it
    05-12-11 07:19 AM
    if you guys use up 500mb in a matter of days how does 1gb help you? im thining of upgrading but unsure if its even worth it
    Use the Rogers My account APP on your phone to track your data and if you get close upgrade. The info on this app can sometimes be a day behind or the App doesn't get a connection to the servers, so give yourself a couple days leeway so you don't go over.

Robert
    05-12-11 07:26 AM
    Not sure if it's still available but late last year I upgraded to a 6GB data plan with Rogers and it only cost $5 more. It couldn't hurt to ask about it if you are calling them since they probably won't tell you.
    05-12-11 08:15 AM
    Wow, very helpful answer.
    05-12-11 08:20 AM
    Yes, they will charge you for tethering if you have less than a 1GB plan. However, you can use the Bridge Browser and they wouldn't even know.
    but not much good this will provide to those that are capped at 500MB.
    05-12-11 09:26 AM
    So what is the verdict? Did you get charged for tethering with a 500MB plan?

On my torch, I am also able to BT tether with only at 500MB plan. I originally downloaded pdanet trial, didn't even turn it on and was able to connect my itouch via ibluever. So I deleted pdanet trial and tried it again. It IS possible.

So the questions are:

1.) Is tethered data detectable?
    If 1 is 'yes' then
    2.) Has anyone got charged for tethering with an under 1GB plan?
    05-25-11 10:50 PM
    bumping old posts insteading of staring new thread...

does anyone have the 500 mb plan from rogers and use it with pb for tethering? if so, do they charge extra?

thanks =)
    07-24-11 12:02 AM
    bumping old posts insteading of staring new thread...

does anyone have the 500 mb plan from rogers and use it with pb for tethering? if so, do they charge extra?

thanks =)
    Yes the DO charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need a min of a 1GB data plan
    07-24-11 12:55 AM
    Yes the DO charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need a min of a 1GB data plan
    Have you personally got charged? Is it a fact or hearsay knowledge (from someone you know personally or seen a bill with the charge)?

I've "tested" tethering with a 500mb plan and haven't gotten charged although my "tests" only lasted a couple of KB or so max - iphone mail app downloaded new msgs and safari loaded www.apple.com.

I'm not saying you won't get charged though as my personal experience is insufficient to prove that.

07-24-11 01:22 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD