Hi there

I have finally gone to using OS6 (.534) which I love but since I have done the upgrade my memory is around the 16mb free only! it used to be about the high 90s.

also blackberry protect doesn't work now either.

any help guys?

thanks
    05-09-11 11:08 AM
    You need to shrink OS6 on a 9700 to avoid low memory issues.

Have you installed BlackBerry Protect for OS6 since you upgraded? If not, do so.
    05-09-11 11:13 AM
    Hi there

I have finally gone to using OS6 (.534) which I love but since I have done the upgrade my memory is around the 16mb free only! it used to be about the high 90s.

also blackberry protect doesn't work now either.

any help guys?

thanks
    OS6 Eats memory.

Try to reinstall the OS after shrinking things with BBOS.
    Idk about protect.
    05-09-11 11:13 AM
    what should i use to shrink it with?
    05-09-11 11:24 AM
    I think its absolutely ridiculous that people have to "shrink" the OS in order for it work correctly. To bad RIM couldn't make a LITE version of OS 6.

Just my 2 cents :P
    05-09-11 11:31 AM
    I think its absolutely ridiculous that people have to "shrink" the OS in order for it work correctly. To bad RIM couldn't make a LITE version of OS 6.

Just my 2 cents :P
    People want different things in the OS. Some want certain fonts, language etc. Some want to keep a certain game. So if you shrink it out yourself you can tailor the OS to your requirements. After all it takes no time and it's not rocket science. If RIM shrunk it down to a "lite" version, you would be stuck with their idea of what everyone wants.
    05-09-11 04:17 PM
    People want different things in the OS. Some want certain fonts, language etc. Some want to keep a certain game. So if you shrink it out yourself you can tailor the OS to your requirements. After all it takes no time and it's not rocket science. If RIM shrunk it down to a "lite" version, you would be stuck with their idea of what everyone wants.
    True but the average guy who owns a Blackberry doesn't know anything about updating the OS yet alone shrinking it. My uncle has a Curve 3G and I asked if he upgraded to OS 6 yet and he didn't even know what that was. Before that phone he also had a Blackberry. Perhaps the OTA version should be a LITE version and the regular version would remain as is. That's just my opinion though.
    05-09-11 05:15 PM
    True but the average guy who owns a Blackberry doesn't know anything about updating the OS yet alone shrinking it. My uncle has a Curve 3G and I asked if he upgraded to OS 6 yet and he didn't even know what that was. Before that phone he also had a Blackberry. Perhaps the OTA version should be a LITE version and the regular version would remain as is. That's just my opinion though.
    In that case Matt, I would have thought that those you refer to will be quite happy just sticking with OS5. After all, it works just fine. I suppose it's us nutters that want to experiment with all the new stuff. My wife wouldn't know where to start with an upgrade, she doesn't even know what OS is on her 9700. All she knows is "that it works" for her. Each to his own eh.

Alan.
    05-09-11 06:23 PM
    In that case Matt, I would have thought that those you refer to will be quite happy just sticking with OS5. After all, it works just fine. I suppose it's us nutters that want to experiment with all the new stuff. My wife wouldn't know where to start with an upgrade, she doesn't even know what OS is on her 9700. All she knows is "that it works" for her. Each to his own eh.

Alan.
    It does and especially .862. But that browser in OS 6 is pretty sweet.
    05-09-11 06:25 PM
    It does and especially .862. But that browser in OS 6 is pretty sweet.
    I agree, 862 worked really great for me a while back. I have found OS6 480 to be the best now. Good battery life, virtually no memory leak with a heavy shrink and the radio is very good. I also agree about the browser.
    05-09-11 06:35 PM
    Not everyone is running 28 apps on their phones either. I made the move and my app memory has settled into about 35MB free running about 15 apps. The device memory fluctuates wildy through the day, though. It runs just fine with no lag and can have an extra tab or two in the browser. So I have decided to NOT shrink the OS as of now. I'm due for an upgrade in a few months anyhow, so I can hold out for the new Bold Touch or possibly the new Torch when it's available.
    05-10-11 08:52 AM
    Sorry too threadjack but can anyone tell me how I could go about downgrading back to OS5?? My battery dies super quick, phone keeps freezing, its deleting all my emails/texts and app world won't login. I just want OS 5 back

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    05-11-11 09:15 PM
    Sorry too threadjack but can anyone tell me how I could go about downgrading back to OS5?? My battery dies super quick, phone keeps freezing, its deleting all my emails/texts and app world won't login. I just want OS 5 back

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Using Desktop Manager there is an option to do just that. As long as you've used it to install previous updates, you can choose to downgrade to any previous OS that you've installed prior.
    05-12-11 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD