hi all,

i just discovered its possible to watch hbo online with a flash player. i was hopeful this would work on the pb, but after a few minutes it skips really badly. any one with another experience? is this a hardware issue or do we need to wait for the app or a software update? thanks!
    05-07-11 08:26 PM
    i am having the same issues i think we will have to wait for an app.
    05-07-11 09:25 PM
    Almost everyone in this thread was having issues -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/hbo-go-608376/
    05-07-11 09:30 PM
    thanks... i didnt see the other thread.
    05-07-11 10:03 PM
    it does start nice though. hope theyre working on it.
    vistate1 likes this.
    05-08-11 09:56 AM
    I've been on the phone with the engineers for 2 days about this issue, they had no idea it was even an issue... I tell ya this PB is really falling short in my eyes.
    They are supposed to be giving me a call with their findings I will post when I get it.
    All I can say for now is to call in and complain, they told me I was the first complaint.... Cheers
    05-10-11 12:09 PM
    Perhaps Apple was right after all in not supporting Flash. If it's not working, people point fingers at the device manufacturer even though, the root cause may be with the content provider or Adobe.
    05-10-11 01:46 PM
    Perhaps Apple was right after all in not supporting Flash. If it's not working, people point fingers at the device manufacturer even though, the root cause may be with the content provider or Adobe.
    Since it's working just fine on Apple devices, I'd say it has nothing to do with Flash or Adobe.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 05-10-11 at 02:31 PM.
    05-10-11 02:11 PM
    Since it's working just find on Apple devices, I'd say it has nothing to do with Flash or Adobe.
    Is it using Flash on Apple devices?
    05-10-11 02:24 PM
    Is it using Flash on Apple devices?
    Nope. That's my point. It's not using Flash since Apple doesn't support Flash.
    05-10-11 02:30 PM
    Nope. That's my point. It's not using Flash since Apple doesn't support Flash.
    So if it's not using Flash, then how is it relevant to the issue experienced on a device that does use Flash?
    05-10-11 02:38 PM
    I have a feeling it is the browser not being supported. The PB identifies itself as a BB browser and the content owners are weird about supporting new devices and browsers. There is a thread on Hulu that has the letter they sent in response to an inquiry. It basically says that every new browser or device has to be approved by Hollywood.
    05-10-11 02:42 PM
    I have a feeling it is the browser not being supported. The PB identifies itself as a BB browser and the content owners are weird about supporting new devices and browsers. There is a thread on Hulu that has the letter they sent in response to an inquiry. It basically says that every new browser or device has to be approved by Hollywood.
    I think there is definitely some truth to this. There are sites which work better for flash but perhaps they are not recognizing the browser as different.
    05-10-11 02:49 PM
    I have no issues with HBOGO whatsoever with my PlayBook. Watched an hour last night without a hiccup.
    05-10-11 02:55 PM
    I'll put in a call too when i have time. It looks great at first, but same buggy performance after a min or so, and sometimes, in full screen, pieces of the player (big pause button, pieces of other nav stuff) sits on top of the window and wont go away.
    They should learn from say the dailyshow's live feeds which are flawless and automatically jump back and forth on bandwidth seamlessly, and sometimes (usually.. comcast blast) look like perfect hd.
    05-10-11 02:57 PM
    The HBOGO loads fine and actually it plays great for about a minute then it becomes very choppy and unwatchable... Jonty what did you do to get it to work? I haven't met a sinble PB owner that has been able to stream from HBOGO for longer then a few minutes....
    FYI: I still haven't heard back from the RIM Engineers so don't hold your breath
    05-10-11 06:53 PM
    The problem is that the PB gets served the Flash version of the player. iOS devices are served an HTML5 version (via apps) which runs very well on mobile devices.

RIM gives you the full web experience, complete with all of Flash's pluses and minuses.
    05-10-11 07:15 PM
    Yeah mine usally works for about 2 minutes then starts hanging up and gets real laggy.
    05-11-11 08:03 AM
    The HBOGO loads fine and actually it plays great for about a minute then it becomes very choppy and unwatchable... Jonty what did you do to get it to work? I haven't met a sinble PB owner that has been able to stream from HBOGO for longer then a few minutes....
    FYI: I still haven't heard back from the RIM Engineers so don't hold your breath
    Didn't think I did anything. Or at least I don't remember doing anything. I'm currently watching Game of Thrones. Been watching for about 30 minutes now. Seems to be completely fine. I actually recorded me watching a few minutes with my Torch to show it works, but the video is 14MB so I won't be uploading it...
    05-12-11 06:20 PM
    The problem is that the PB gets served the Flash version of the player. iOS devices are served an HTML5 version (via apps) which runs very well on mobile devices.

RIM gives you the full web experience, complete with all of Flash's pluses and minuses.
    Wait whoah. iOS devices are absolutely NOT served an 'HTML5' version of the video. That's why they need an app - so they can serve DRM protected video.

The problem with HTML5 video is it does not support DRM. In short if you want DRM protected video it's going to be served via Flash or an App. Hulu wrote a pretty good article on why HTML5 isn't a great solution for video if you have any security/monetization tied to it:

Pardon Our Dust � Hulu Blog
    05-12-11 08:06 PM
    Which PB do you have - 16, 32 or 64? I'm wondering if it might be a buffering (memory) issue.
    05-20-11 02:02 PM
    I have a 32GB PB and have this issue as well. I tried pausing it and letting it buffer a while, but it still gets choppy and unwatchable after a minute or so of playback.
    05-20-11 02:28 PM
    It is strange that some people don't have this issue. I expect it to be corrected when we get Flash 10.3 (said to include optimizations for the type of CPU running in the PB).
    05-20-11 02:42 PM
    HBO GO on my PB is terrible, I want one way to play video on this thing before it has to go, very frustrated at this point, even youtube buffers and stalls frequently.
    Last edited by hellnback76; 05-20-11 at 02:50 PM.
    05-20-11 02:44 PM
    While we're on the subject... Rogers On Demand Online - Watch Free TV Shows, Free Movies, Clips & More. works great for Canadians!!
    05-20-11 02:44 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD