i sent my weekly "wheres the kindle app" message and got a different response this time:

Hello,

I understand you would like to know when Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook will be released, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

As you have mentioned the announcement regarding Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook was made us some time back but the release date has yet not been finalized.

I suggest you to check our website regularly as we will be releasing the Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook by the end of May.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Kindle.
    05-06-11 10:41 AM
    good to hear
    05-06-11 10:49 AM
    Happy happy joy joy!
    05-06-11 10:52 AM
    Perfect! Now if we can only get Silverlight (Netflix), Pandora, and Skype.
    qsauditor likes this.
    05-06-11 11:03 AM
    im shocked they didnt rollout the playbook with all current blackberry apps already.but once the kindle app comes out im sure that would be awesome if u can sync ur books from ur kindles to the PB..my mom reads her amazon kindle religiously lol
    05-06-11 11:04 AM
    The only way we'd get current BlackBerry apps up-front on the PlayBook is if RIM had the BlackBerry Java "Player" thingie built up-front. Since its apparently the lowest item on their SDK priority list, we'll have to wait a while.
    05-06-11 12:40 PM
    that's great news. thanks for sharing
    05-06-11 09:01 PM
    post or pm me the email address you contacted and i'll see if i can get the same confirmation
    05-07-11 07:15 AM
    hey, this might sound really stupid to some, but can you sideload epubs on a kindle app or is it a completely different file format?
    05-07-11 08:09 AM
    kindle uses mobi as a file format
    belsunce likes this.
    05-07-11 10:39 AM
    kindle uses mobi as a file format
    So you can load your own mobi files on the PB and read them via the Kindle?
    05-07-11 11:28 AM
    So you can load your own mobi files on the PB and read them via the Kindle?
    you can do it on the android version
    05-07-11 12:35 PM
    To those in the know, is Kindle's library of books that can be published larger than that of Kobo? And much more specifically, can Kindle access magazines and textbooks?
    05-07-11 01:00 PM
    you can do it on the android version
    I just tried this with the Kindle app on my Torch and it works! Thank you very much, i had no idea you could do this. So very cool. I do love this forum!
    05-07-11 01:11 PM
    use calibre to convert to a format that kindle will like ..then side load it..but i expect that more readers will be on the way...btw adedicated ereader is easier on the eyes..well for an old fart like me..
    rdv06405 likes this.
    05-07-11 05:34 PM
    use calibre to convert to a format that kindle will like ..then side load it..but i expect that more readers will be on the way...btw adedicated ereader is easier on the eyes..well for an old fart like me..
    question: what other formats will the kindle app read? I do agree about a better ereader, the largest font on the Kindle is kinda small. Im happier with pdfs with a bigger font.
    05-07-11 06:30 PM
    Thanks, man!

I've been on the verge of digging out my Kindle and carrying both it and the PB around. But instead I've ripped the entire 8 series of "Friends" into my PB and have been wading through them on my down time.

Should be finished by the time the Kindle App is released
    05-09-11 04:56 AM
    ...btw adedicated ereader is easier on the eyes..well for an old fart like me..
    For this old fart, it's an actual book that's easier on the eyes. My Kobo and Kindle sit on a shelf abandoned. I enjoy reading magazines and newspapers with the PB via the web browser. And I enjoy reading books in paper format. There's something about that analog experience that's really attractive!
    05-09-11 07:24 AM
    To those in the know, is Kindle's library of books that can be published larger than that of Kobo? And much more specifically, can Kindle access magazines and textbooks?
    I know several publishers of textbooks are published through Amazon in Kindle format. You can easily check the Kindle store at Amazon.com for the specfic titles you are looking for. If it's available in Kindle format, it has always been downloadable to the other Kindle clients Amazon has made available.
    05-16-11 06:13 PM
    Yippie, I have over 60 books on Kindle. I need access to them with my new PB.
    05-17-11 02:10 PM
    I went out on a limb and purchased a Kobo book. It's working perfectly. It really seems exactly like Kindle, although I had only read a few free books in Kindle. I don't have any complaints!
    05-17-11 06:29 PM
    the issue is not the Kobo reader as a reader if you buy their books. the issue is you cant load any existing books that you may already own, even tho you can do this with their reader on other platforms. we need this feature on the Playbook!
    MedChemist and raremage like this.
    05-17-11 06:36 PM
    Good to know. T- 13 and counting.
    chasvs likes this.
    05-17-11 09:31 PM
    Just an FYI, I too have emailed Amazon about a Kindle app for the Playbook, and I received the following (somewhat) canned response:

Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused because Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a date for the release of this application. I've forwarded your message to the Kindle team. The Kindle Team will carefully review your comments.

You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we�ve released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below:

Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6340159

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6340159

Best regards,

Vishnu M.S.
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account?t...bUvbUpU6340159

Not to be a downer, but this response (that I believe others have received), does not really say much about Kindle being developed for the Playbook at all (i.e. they may not even have started). I hope I'm wrong, but if they had any idea no matter how vague (even if it was on a quartly basis), wouldn't they reply with that instead of their non-answer answer? I'd rather know it was coming in September then not knowing at all. Not knowing makes me want to use Kobo - which I don't want to do as I already have Kindle books purchased for another device. Even if it was a few months down the road, that would at least give me the choice of waiting or not.

05-18-11 03:06 PM
    It would be nice to get the nook app also but anything is better than. I wanted to read a nice book that I haven't touched it in 1 years. Kobo doesn't have it of course.
    05-18-11 08:55 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD