Just got my 32GB PB yesterday and was having a **** of a time with the random disconnets on wifi.

Router model D-Link DIR-615 latest firmware

Things tried:
    -Reboot PB
    -Reboot router/modem
    -Give PB static IP
    -Switch from WPA2 TKIP to AES to both
    -Connect both manually and with the WPS feature
    -Select IPv6 on and off
    -Switch from dual band to 2.4GHz
    -Basically any remedy I could find here on the forums
    on and on and on....

Nothing worked, my PB would disconnect between 10 sec and ~5min after connecting, I would have to turn wifi off and back on to connect again. Seriously contemplated returning/exchanging my PB due to wifi antenna issues.

I have an iPad, iPhone4, iMac and dell laptop that all connect fine with the wifi in my iHouse.

Decided to switch the router out last night with my old Linksys router running tomato firmware and am happy to say that it has not disconnected since!

Not sure about other D-Link routers but the DIR-615 does not want to play nice with my PB.

HTH
    05-06-11 07:51 AM
    I have a DLink DIR-655, and I have had no issues since launch day, except one day, where I was having the same issue you described. It would drop the wifi signal constantly after about 1 minute. One reboot of the router fixed the issue and it hasn't returned since.
    05-06-11 09:19 AM
    I have a DLink DIR-655, and I have had no issues since launch day, except one day, where I was having the same issue you described. It would drop the wifi signal constantly after about 1 minute. One reboot of the router fixed the issue and it hasn't returned since.
    I have a DIR-655 as well, running fine with no problems since I got my PB.
    05-06-11 09:21 AM
    i have dlink 615 as well and i have only experienced wifi issue when i use BB bridge...it had only happened to me once where the wifi connection would disconnect and re-connect....i haven't noticed anything since that one day! i am using firmware 3.13..
    05-06-11 09:35 AM
    My dlink always drops the signal with the two laptops at home every few days I have to unplug then it connects find for a few days then the problem happens again
    05-06-11 10:01 AM
    My D-Link 628 is a piece of junk, but no wifi issues on the Playbook.
    05-06-11 11:30 AM
    I'm having similiar issues except I'm connecting to a Verizon 4G Mifi. Basically if my BB 9780 or my Playbook connects to the Mifi the Mifi will freeze. Not sure what the issue is.
    05-06-11 11:45 AM
    I too have a Playbook running on a DIR-615 although mine has DD-WRT running on it and its incredibly stable. I would recommend it.
    05-06-11 12:51 PM
    I have a D-link 655 I believe it is (dual band, 3 antennas).

Works perfectly, no issues on the router side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 01:38 PM
    I was having problems with my CellPipe 7130 router. PlayBook would keep connecting and disconnecting every few seconds and therefore I couldn't finish the setup. I took the PlayBook to a friend's house where I was able to connect and upgrade the software on the PlayBook. Ever since I upgraded the software on the PlayBook, I haven't had any issues.
    05-06-11 02:13 PM
    I'm having similiar issues except I'm connecting to a Verizon 4G Mifi. Basically if my BB 9780 or my Playbook connects to the Mifi the Mifi will freeze. Not sure what the issue is.
    If you are using the Verizon Samsung 4G LTE hotspot sch-l11, it is not a playbook problem. It is a Samsung hotspot problem. The Samsung has unstable wifi and drops the connection frequently. They need to update the firmware to make it work reliably. The default setting on the botspot is 802.11b and g but I set it to b/g/n and that seems to help a little with stability but doesn't solve the issue.
    05-06-11 04:51 PM
    If you are using the Verizon Samsung 4G LTE hotspot sch-l11, it is not a playbook problem. It is a Samsung hotspot problem. The Samsung has unstable wifi and drops the connection frequently. They need to update the firmware to make it work reliably. The default setting on the botspot is 802.11b and g but I set it to b/g/n and that seems to help a little with stability but doesn't solve the issue.
    glad the thunderbolt isnt like that. pb always gets error from peer blah blah when at home. most the time i use thunderbolt hotspot (4g lte) and little is any issues.
    05-10-11 09:32 PM
    Had the D-Link 615 as my first N router. Didn't like my Berry on UMA. Switched to Cisco/Linksys e2000. Works like a dream.

05-10-11 09:48 PM
    My Netgear WNR2000 has been driving me nuts. Works like a champ for every other device in my home but my Playbook disconnects from it constantly.

I've started plugging my little CradlePoint portable router into my Netgear and connecting to it instead from my PB and I never get booted anymore. Most annoying. My Playbook was also constantly disconnecting from the guest wireless network on a college campus I was visiting this evening. No idea what kind of router they had..

I hope RIM includes some fix for these issues in a future software update..
    05-10-11 10:16 PM
    Dlink-625 here, and have daily problems with dropped wifi, it must be something with how Dlink does WPA, as I read another post on this board that dropping down to WEP would solve the problem, will try that tomorrow.

Not pushing the blame on Dlink, as it works fine with my BB phone, laptop, and PS3, so it's definitely a Playbook thing.
    05-10-11 11:24 PM
    Yeah with any WiFi issues I always suspect routers first. Lots of buggy DHCP, etc. I have a linksys that stops passing out IPs every so often.
    05-11-11 12:30 AM
    I agree the playbook has issues dropping connections ,, and i dont think its fair to blame routers when all other wifi devices work well with it . its almost like it forgets to stay connected when changing pages ,, i have had good days and bad days with the connections
    05-11-11 12:48 AM
    Okay, I switched to WEP on my Dlink DIR-625 as suggested in another post, and everything has been working great for over four hours! My router warned me that I would only be using G instead of N wireless if I did it, but I don't notice any slowdown, and coverage is better as well.

Switch to WEP if you're running a Dlink router and having problems, seems to be the fix for a lot of people. Not excusing the PB or RIM here, just saying there is an acceptable work-around.
    05-11-11 07:57 PM
    I've had nothing but problems with D-Link routers, more than one model. I stay clear of them personally because of past history.
    05-11-11 08:11 PM
    D-Link DIR 655, exactly same problem as you have, wireless signal is very good but wirless connection constantly dropped about every 2mins, that makes tablet internet-based apps very difficut to use.

WPA2

don't think it is router issue as laptop and iphone work just fine.

will try to switch to WEP
    05-27-11 12:48 PM
    It is sounding like with many different routers the issue is with N standard ... newer routers seem to comply with N standards were older N routers were only complying with the draft standards which have changed. Switch to mixed b/g/n and you should see the problem go away.
    05-27-11 01:27 PM
    after couple of tests, these are what i know (my wireless router D-Link DIR 655)

PB wireless connection constantly dropped with N mode, this happens when
    1. router set to: N only, WPA2 (or auto between WPA, WPA2), AES(or auto between ASE, TKIP)
    2. router set to: N+G mixed, WPA2, AES(or auto between ASE, TKIP)

PB wireless connection very stable with G mode, this happens when
    3. router set to: N+G mixed, WPA, AES (or TKIP or auto)

It looks like PB will choose N from the mix of N+G when WPA2+ASE is available. This is different from iPhone 4, for the same mix setting, iPhone 4 connects in G mode.

settings 2 allows various wireless devices connect to same router in G or N mode, while setting 3 only allows G mode. because of PB, I have to use WPA and now all of my devices have no choice to use G mode...
    05-27-11 03:38 PM
    No, not because of your playbook. Its because of your router. I had the same problem with my dlink 615. I replaced the router with a linksys and its been wireless N bliss in my house ever since.
    05-27-11 05:31 PM
    Not bashing here , I like my pb. But you should not have to buy a new router just cause you bought a pb . BB dropped the ball the wireless should have been bullet proof .

05-27-11 05:59 PM
    got a new dlink 655 as well...figured that since the playbook wasn't streaming more than 30 freaking seconds of youtube...nope...4 pb later same problem, even in staples the demo unit choked....buh bye! i am not paying for something that has these issues. maybe in a year or so....but my ipad is WONDERFUL don't get me wrong..my 9780 rocks for anything but entertainment and hopefully rim steps up their game with the new units coming soon.
    05-27-11 06:12 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD