At the RIM conference this week:

BlackBerry OS 7 is not coming to older handsets | GadTechNews

I personally have been a BB user for close to 10 years, I am getting a little disappointed, I know BB are moving ahead but I just bought my torch and this makes me really unset as I will not qualify for a new OS.

(black and white forget the model lol)
    Perl
    Curve
    Bold
    I had a STORM 1
    I had a STORM 2

And now a Torch, which appears be already but obsolete as there will be no OS update, I know the hardware can't handle it but how about offering a lite edition.

I believe my time has come up and I will look elsewhere for a new platform who not sure.
    05-06-11 01:57 AM
    RIM is terrible in this regard.

Most operating systems are stricts with operating legacy handsets, but in a fair way, unlike RIM.

By the time that 2.2 released for Android, the G2 and the MyTouch 3G (devices that weren't getting it), were no longer for sale.

iOS 4 introduced multitasking, and the iPhone 3G didn't get it, but by that point, the phone was over 2 years old.

With RIM, the Torch is still being sold for $100 on contract and it's not getting the upgrade. I think it's really an insult to their customer base.
    05-06-11 03:13 AM
    I think you'll find we will receive 6.1(what they renamed 7). There have already been leaks of 6.1 out in the wild for the 9800. The torch will actually get 6.1 while the upgraded OS with all the funky stuff our current torch's wont do because of hardware will be exactly the same except they'll call it 7 and it will have all the functionality of the new hardware.
    pjmacklin and jelcyn like this.
    05-06-11 06:06 AM
    I think like Homer1475 said, We'll see some sort of update for the Torch which at least gives us some functionality in OS7, I don't blame for RIM for saying OS7 will not be seen on most devices, because likely it would cause the legacy device slowdowns you see on older iOS devices, and that would simply cause a flareup in the bitc*ing and complaining that is so rampant in the BlackBerry community today.

I think it's a bit early to say that all hope is lost for a Torch update, if I'm honest.
    05-06-11 06:27 AM
    I see what you're saying and yes it would be nice if they did but what will the newer OS give you that you don't have now besides making your phone slower?
    05-06-11 06:40 AM
    Really folks! When I touch an icon on my Torch, bam the app loads. When I move my finger over the touch pad, swish, the icons are highlighted as i gesture. I have WiFi on and when I activate an internet based app, bam, it loads.

Know what else, the thing actually makes PHONE CALLS. I have done 1 1/2 hour conference calls while being able to refer to notes during the calls. And, afterward still had about 50% to 60% battery left.

Sure upgrades are good but if your Torch is up to date with a current authorized OS it is a great tool. Try to look at it's many many positive attributes. My glass is at least half full
    AlKa, BBRYCnvnedMe, xDAKx and 5 others like this.
    05-06-11 08:21 AM
    Listen, I bought a 2005 Nissan Altima, and it's a great car...however, the 2011 Altima has mp3 compatibility and better nav system, but Nissan didn't comp me...I'm outraged too
    Last edited by bbstoof; 05-06-11 at 09:16 AM.
    05-06-11 09:13 AM
    Honestly I am one of spec wh0re that cry out loud for the update only to realise that I don't know what for? I should be ashame...gee, for once I realised everyrthing that I expect for the Torch is there. Yes I am not happy for some as I guess RIM should incorporate in the OS but then that's where apps kick a55...

But I take it nonetheless if the update available maybe my word mole doen't hang anymore...anyway I'm still stuck at level 13, so no different either.

Love my Torch and when my current OS never hang I guess that says a lot already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 09:49 AM
    I don't understand the complain logic of all this legacy phone OS stuff. We all know that advances in technology happen so quickly. When we purchase the greatest smartphone of all time (whatever phone that may be), it basically becomes dated the moment we bring it home because Rimm and the other producers of phones are always bringing out something new and different. RIMM has been great about offering updates to improve on the products they have brought out (you should have been on WinMo and waited forever for an upgrade), but like anything, there comes a limit to what they can do with the hardware.

The Torch is a great phone. It does everything I need a phone to do and so much more. When my two years is up, I will upgrade...Torch 2 or Bold Touch. But whatever I upgrade to will become dated. It's the nature of the beast. So suck it up and deal with it, or as my wife say, "Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!"
    05-06-11 10:16 AM
    the Torch is still being sold for $100 on contract and it's not getting the upgrade. I think it's really an insult to their customer base.
    The price that companies sell their phones on contracts for is up to the reseller (at&t, bell, sprint, etc), not rim. Secondly, not all companies still charge $100. Bell, for example, has had it at $0 for nearly 2 months now.

Lastly, if I was RIM I would rather listen to a bunch of whiny kids that expect everything new to work on their old hardware for the next 20 years than release it for the Torch and listen to those same people crying about it being really slow on their older hardware.

You purchased the Torch because of what it offered at the time. Whether it was a shiny touch screen, BBM, the apps or whatnot, not because 18 months later you might hear about OS7 and be able to install it on your phone. Cry less.

Last edited by auntjemima; 05-06-11 at 10:57 AM.
    05-06-11 10:52 AM
    Does anybody have any evidence that the T1 isn't getting any upgrades. I haven't seen any press releases from RIM stating this.
    05-06-11 11:09 AM
    I'm extremely pleased with my Torch. It does everything that I needed it to do when I first purchased it and continues to do so. Getting any sort of OS 7 would only be a bonus and I'm for sure not gonna complain about if it does or not. So far, it has been the most reliable device for me to date. While I would love to have the most up to date technology, the current Torch and OS is doing me just fine. Its fast, smooth and generally trouble-free.

05-06-11 11:58 AM
    wouldn't you say? no more updates? really? seems your expectations are just a little out of sync with reality. if there's something else you prefer or believe is better supported...well, you know what they say!
    05-06-11 12:23 PM
    Does anybody have any evidence that the T1 isn't getting any upgrades. I haven't seen any press releases from RIM stating this.
    There will probably still be leaks and officials of 6 but I don't think it's ever going to see 7.
    05-06-11 12:33 PM
    much of the new stuff in 7 requires upgraded hardware (liquid graphics and HD video recording uses the upgraded CPU/GPU, magnetometer, etc) They'll likely release a 6.1 (what was considered 6.1 Lite in the slides) with the improved browser, voice activated universal search, customizable homescreen panes, enhanced virtual keyboard.
    05-06-11 01:38 PM
    they must have an upgrade for the torch users.

+1 for the lite edition.
    05-08-11 06:38 AM
    6.1 Lite would be worth it. I think the Torch could handle being a WiFi Hotspot tbh

05-08-11 07:55 AM
    Wifi hotspot, we don't have it now and more then likely will never get it on our current torch's.

I believe that capability is dependent on hardware, which our current torch doesn't have.
    05-08-11 08:10 AM
    There will probably still be leaks and officials of 6 but I don't think it's ever going to see 7.
    We will never see 7. RIM announced this. But we will see 6.1 and 6.2 in the future.
    05-08-11 10:42 AM
    Frankly, I've got a refurb Torch that is just behaving as beautifully as my first Torch did. (I crushed my first so I had to get a second because I just missed the device so much!) I will be getting the Torch 2. I love this device. If I don't get an upgrade after this last one, so be it. It does everything I want it to do!
    well, almost everything....I still want Flash.
    05-08-11 11:13 AM
    O one can deny rimm is especially bad with offering software upgrades. The storm 2 was EOL-ed in just 9 months..just like the torch.

05-08-11 06:46 PM
    O one can deny rimm is especially bad with offering software upgrades. The storm 2 was EOL-ed in just 9 months..just like the torch.

Uhhhhm. The Torch is still alive. It's shipping and selling. No one who's carrying it has given even the slightest hint that the Torch 2 is coming, or that the device is EOL, and thus far, we've only seen a few very brief glimpses of the prototypes of T2.

It's a bit early to say the Torch is "EOL". The Storm 2 was a device that should have been EOL'd before it went out the door. We all know that. If you like it or accept it or not, is a different story entirely however.
    05-08-11 07:46 PM

Actually I think RIMM has been very good about upgrades to the Torch. We started at .141(?) and now I am running .546.Thats a lot of upgrades in under a year. Not only upgrades to the Torch, but also to the Bold 9700 and about every other phone in their lineup plus bringing out the Playbook and all the new phones. Apple only has one phone and one form factor and basically one OS. Rimm's job is more complex because of the variety of phones. So cut them some slack. They make great phones and the new stuff is really gonna rock.

05-08-11 08:20 PM
    I think you'll find we will receive 6.1(what they renamed 7). There have already been leaks of 6.1 out in the wild for the 9800. The torch will actually get 6.1 while the upgraded OS with all the funky stuff our current torch's wont do because of hardware will be exactly the same except they'll call it 7 and it will have all the functionality of the new hardware.
    6.1 OS for the 9800 has been leaked already? Can someone link me to that? Thanks.

05-09-11 02:45 AM
    the only 6.1 stuff that you can have for 9800 right now is the hybrid stuff, nothing like a official leak. The leak version of 6.1 OS was not for the 9800, but people who create hybrid os did use couple .cod from that.

The leak was for 9850 (torch 2) and 9930 (bold touch)
    05-09-11 07:15 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD