Folks, can someone please explain why the feature of a compass makes it better for a phone?

Does it allow apps like Google Map to function faster in term of locating you?

What are the benefits?
    05-05-11 11:24 PM
    The augmented reality browser is kind of cool, and need a compass to work correctly. It will also allow improvements in location based services and navigation. Instead of lets say, Poynt telling you the nearest McDonalds is 2 blocks east, it can tell you it 2 blocks to the left of you.
    mssca likes this.
    05-05-11 11:59 PM
    Oh that's cool! Much more specific!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 05:26 AM
    I am not sure how RIM might use it, but Google Streetview on Android uses the compass.
    What you can do is hold your phone in front of you and when you turn it will show you what <<should>> be in front of you and you can compare to what is really there. Not sure how useful it is but I can imagine in Urban Areas it makes it a bit easier to pick the correct building into which to walk. (I guess)
    It was very cool to play with but I can't see using it on a regular basis.
    05-06-11 05:40 AM
    It's important because iPhone has it.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    05-06-11 05:47 AM
    For google map

05-06-11 07:44 AM
    Hopefully they integrate it into the directions on blackberry/bing/google maps. It sounds stupid but I always get turned around when I come out of the subway, it'd be great if my maps could tell me left/right/straight to get where I'm going.

05-06-11 08:18 AM
    I need a compass in my work. One less thing to carry around. I like it.
    05-06-11 09:21 AM
    I need a compass in my work. One less thing to carry around. I like it.
    Same here... if the compass work great, I can use this for basic plotting of maps (I am a geophysics/geology student). I said basic plotting because this may not be as accurate as the real $500 compass.
    05-06-11 03:06 PM
    I don't think it will be supplanting your Brunton any time soon.
    05-06-11 04:31 PM
    It's important because iPhone has it.
    took the words rt out of my mouth. glad they are adding it for other people, but its not a make or break thing for me.
    05-06-11 05:07 PM
    But I thought they were going with Bing?
    05-06-11 06:07 PM
    But I thought they were going with Bing?
    They are!

05-06-11 08:14 PM
    haha at people thinking that there will actually be a usable Bing! Maps application. And the compass is awesome for anyone who's been in a big city. I go to manhattan a lot and while I'm not an expert yet, I can navigate myself around as long as I know what direction I'm facing. If you get out of a subway its sometimes hard to get your bearings. Especially when you've had a few.
    05-06-11 11:17 PM
    Lost in the woods? There's an app for that.
    05-07-11 12:05 AM
    Then we can start a thread about how RIM is "following" us.
    05-07-11 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD