I bought my blackberry 8830 in August (2007). It was great for about 3 weeks and then it started to delete any calls in my call log that were older than 5 -10 minutes. I called Verizon customer support and they had me swipe the phone. I did that and it still didn't help. So I took it in to the Verizon store and they said that it had to do with the old software gave me a new phone with updated software.

My new 8830 has been great until yesterday and it started to do the same thing. It won't keep any calls in the call log for longer than 10 minutes. And . . . it deletes any emails over 1 day old. BIG PROBLEM!!! I own a start-up tech company and get about 90 emails per day. Since I deal with database issues on a regular basis, I had a gut feeling that this was a memory issue. I found that my phone had a very limited internal memory. And while I added a 2 GB memory card, it only works for media and not for emails or call logs.

So I deleted all the calls and emails/messages on the phone and still it is having memory issues. I then deleted all 3rd party programs. And still it won't keep calls in my call log. It seems that there is some sort of bug in the software that once it reaches a low memory, it keeps the phone in a "low memory mode" that doesn't allow it to keep track of calls.

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with a Verizon customer support person and waited another 40 minutes on hold with RIM and still never got to talk to someone.

I am very close to paying the contract termination fees and switching to AT&T so that I can get an i-phone. The only reason I chose the Blackberry 8830 was for the GPS capabilities, which are now crippled by Verizon. And while Verizon customer support has been phenomenal, their business choices leave me very few options.

Does anyone have any advice or solutions?
    10-06-07 10:30 PM
    Its a memory caching issue. A battery pull (taking the battery out while the device is on) should solve it...
    10-07-07 05:35 AM
    I now have the memory cache at an acceptable level and it is still deleting all my calls (older than 5 minutes) and emails (older than 1 day). I am missing calls and emails, and have no idea that I am missing them.

It seems like the software doesn't recognize that the memory changes. I deleted everything off the phone and wiped it. And it is still having this problem. This is the 2nd phone (same model) to have this exact same problem.

HELP!!
    10-07-07 01:45 PM
    My pearl has been doing the same thing. This is the 2nd time that it has done it. I will try taking the battery out as suggested and see what happens. Will let you guys know.
    10-21-07 02:38 PM
    Have you installed any or many programs to your Blackberry? If your BB's internal memory is low, the first thing the device does is dleete the recent calls list. Try deleting unused programs or extraneous stuff. That usually fixes the problem right away.
    10-24-07 09:45 AM
    THis is an issues with few models from BB, they know the issue and even Verizon knows the issues but, there is no fix for this.
    I have changed my 8830 trice and all the pieces have this issue
    04-07-08 11:19 AM
    To the person who said they are thinking about switching to AT&T. just to let you know that will not solve the problem it's the phone. I have had my curve 8310 since july and this is my FIFTH BB!!! yea thats right!! all these probs that everyone keeps having are all the ones I have been having too! I've had my new one for two weeks and it started deleting all my emails and call log again. I am going to try everyones advice about freeing up misc. stuff and deleting unused stuff and if that does not work I am switching to palm treo. if anyone learns anything new please email me at [email protected] if you've figured out a FIX!! thanks!
    04-29-08 06:01 PM
    Both my sister and I have the 8830 and we are with Cellular South. The phone drives us nuts when it deletes the call logs, SMS messages, and our emails. I don't have a solution and like the rest of you, my BB has been doing this for a while.
    05-21-08 07:37 PM
    I had this happen on my pearl. I reinstalled the os and watch my memory with battery pulls every couple days to clear out anything and haven't had a problem since. That was year and a half ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 07:45 PM
    THIS IS SOOOOOOO INFURIATING!!! I just got my very first BB about a month ago and I was in HEAVEN! Until it started wiping everything off - especially phonecalls a few days ago... it just did it to me a minute afted i finished the conversation right when i wanted to save the # into my Address Book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-22-08 06:16 PM
    Ok everyone calm down and look at the link in my signature to free up some memory
    05-22-08 06:30 PM
    Ok everyone calm down and look at the link in my signature to free up some memory
    I've got 8 MB of free memory and my phone is still doing this. From where I sit, the Blackberry is a big joke. Security? If this is a memory issue - which I seem to have plenty - then the phone should warn me about low memory rather than deleting my data!!!!! I don't even have that many apps on the phone. If Blackberry underpowered the device and the background apps are taking up memory (some things just seem to run whether I like it or not) then the current Blackberries aren't built properly to run applications like a Symbian, Pocket PC or Palm based phone.
    06-02-08 02:38 PM
    what is the os?
    07-08-08 09:18 PM
    Os = operating system.

If you are saying you have 8mb of memoury, you are still operating under the recommended 10mb. Calm down. We can fix this.

First, use your media card for ALL media. Next, clear your internet cache often. Be sure you properly close out all apps when finished, IE menu>close. Do a battery pul at least once a week. Next, download the app maxmem at BlackBerryTrade.com. You can delete preinstalled media, vad, ptt, etc. You should be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD