Just read on BGR and Engadget that RIM and Microsoft will replace Blackberry's native Google search with Bing and incorporate Microsoft Bing Maps as the default mapping service.

I don't know if I'm the only person out there, but I can't stand Microsoft and hate their search and mapping services even more.

Is RIM going to allow the option to choose between the two (Google & Bing)? If not, that's a really big disappointment.... not that it'd hinder my choosing of the 9900
    05-03-11 03:58 PM
    It's not really like they can stop you from actually using google. It just gets tied into parts of the OS.
    05-03-11 03:59 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bin...re-bbs-611290/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bin...-bb-os-611303/

i hope it'll be optional, i prefer google

@papped
    well, the question is if we'll be able to set google as "default search" in browser or if we'll actually have to go to their site, typing in the URL, to actually use it
    05-03-11 04:00 PM
    That's what I'm hoping for. I don't care if that's what it's defaulted to, as long as we have the option to change.
    05-03-11 04:03 PM
    I really hope this is optional... I also dislike MS incredibly and you cannot beat google maps!

Love google, hate Microsoft with a passion.
    05-03-11 04:03 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bin...re-bbs-611290/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bin...-bb-os-611303/

i hope it'll be optional, i prefer google

@papped
    well, the question is if we'll be able to set google as "default search" in browser or if we'll actually have to go to their site, typing in the URL, to actually use it
    They would have to do more than that... They would have to remove google option from universal search (which is more accessible than browser defaults).
    05-03-11 04:04 PM
    I'm not a huge fan of Bing but this isn't a gamebreaker at all for me. I think one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Bing is just because it doesn't have the familiar feel of Google, which I've become very used to.
    05-03-11 04:39 PM
    I don't like google. I'm happy they went with someone else.
    05-03-11 04:48 PM
    Why the hate for Microsoft out of curiousity?
    05-03-11 04:50 PM
    That's like asking why the love Google being open source... For most people it's just "because"...

99.9% of the people that spew it have no use for the open source OS code.
    05-03-11 04:57 PM
    Make it simple, use QuickLaunch and use whichever search engine you want to. The Web Search feature in QL allows you to use whichever search engine you want, and you can launch it from any screen without having to go to the browser.

I would prefer not to be locked into any one service, to be honest. A recent search on Google in reference to the success and quantity of apps for the Xoom and number of apps was producing zero results, however, when Yahoo and Bing! were used, the stories came up readily. In addition, Word Substitution can be used, which doesn't work in my native browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 05-03-11 at 05:13 PM.
    arickinreallife likes this.
    05-03-11 05:01 PM
    I use Microsoft too.
    05-03-11 05:06 PM
    I do most of my searching through Universal Search anyways. I'm sure, if Google were to be removed from that screen, there would be an app like SearchIt to add it back in.
    05-03-11 05:06 PM
    I actually prefer Bing search over Google search so I am happy about it.
    05-03-11 05:22 PM
    Personally I don't hate Microsoft. I'm on XP Pro(which I still think is the best OS) typing this. But I don't care for IE and prefer Google Chrome as my browser.In my experiences with BING I find Google clearly superior as a search engine. And on a side note, I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE those BING commercials. I never want MS to think those ads work.
    05-03-11 05:36 PM
    Bing does not provide as good results as Google.

IE is clunky, does not conform to web design specifications, and is a security nightmare.

Hotmail was fine 10 years ago, but Gmail is better nowadays.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-03-11 05:43 PM
    You should be able to change the default search provider and Google Maps will still be available.

05-03-11 05:52 PM
    You should be able to change the default search provider and Google Maps will still be available.

That's all I want.
    05-03-11 05:56 PM
    gah i dislike bing! its the built in search function on the windows phone (obviously) and its quite pants..
    05-03-11 06:01 PM
    It might be fine. Bing has put lots of work in specialized searches, which suits searches from apps.

In BlackBerry Traffic search is powered by Bing and works fine. There is no evidence that Google searches are more accurate anyway, it's popular mostly because it was the first good search engine. Microsoft is also motivated to add value to the BlackBerry whereas for Google it's just another platform to support. We may get some premium features out of this.

I'm guessing that from RIM's perspective Google is the primary competitor so I'm not surprised. I just hope Gmail support will not suffer.

Last edited by synthmole; 05-03-11 at 06:19 PM.
    05-03-11 06:17 PM
    Think it has more to do with M$ paying a crapton of money to people like VZ and RIM to use their search engine. That's how M$ gets adoption for it's products... It comes with a free boat of cash.
    05-03-11 06:18 PM
    I prefer google since that's what I'm used to, so just set QL to launch it as was mentioned, or make it the home page. But, this issue is not new is it? Our present day bolds at least the 9650's have bing as default already, so seems a non issue for me, been dealing with it since June.
    05-03-11 06:34 PM
    I would rather be concerned why RIM chose to work with M$ anyways however way it is, be it Bing or Map app. Even Steve Ballmer was on stage. Did RIM strike some sort of long term deal, taking a devil's offer? :-).
    M$ is also desperate in trying to survive in the mobile scene. What gives? That's the question.
    05-03-11 08:01 PM
    M$ has been paying companies a crapload of money to promote Bing, that's basically what it boils down to.

But it's kind of win/win for RIM. They get a bunch of money for the agreement and don't necessarily have to maintain BBMaps which is not up to date compared to the other mapping applications.
    05-03-11 08:03 PM
    I've never used Bing Maps a single time, even on my PC. Google Maps works well.
    05-03-11 09:12 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD