RIM showed today that the much maligned BB OS is surprisingly capable.

It's interesting to compare BlackBerry 7 OS with Android. Which is more advanced? Google hasn't been able to work GPU acceleration into the Android UI, and RIM just did.

QNX is cool and probably a good long term strategy, but what do you think QNX is going to bring to the BlackBerry now that can't be done with the current OS?

Maybe the premise of BB OS being old, and therefore RIM is doomed, is actually wrong.
    05-03-11 12:26 AM
    Heck yea we do. We need future technology, not the usual outdated stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 01:03 AM
    It's posts like mustang's that really warrant this kind of question. I asked the same kind of thing in a previous thread and didn't get a single answer as to why the BBOS is "dead" (according to the attitude of some people) until QNX is released. We don't have any idea what QNX will be like on a Blackberry. We only know that it's some sort of "hybridization" project fusing the old and new OS (dubbed Highlander). That sounds fine and dandy, but we not only have no idea what new features (other than probably flash) will be introduced or when it will be released. With OS6.1 now being dubbed OS7, it's very possible it's over a year away.
    Is it worth waiting so long for something you have no idea about? Is the BBOS, which is looking absolutely great on the Bold Touch, dead in the water? What is it about QNX that everyone is waiting for? Other than Flash, I really don't know.

Last edited by Masahiro; 05-03-11 at 05:48 AM.
    rick0415 likes this.
    05-03-11 01:17 AM
    ^^^ great post. It sounds like rim has delivered a competitive phone. Hopefully the phone lives up to the hype.

Masahiro likes this.
    05-03-11 05:37 AM
    How about... storing apps on a media card?
    05-03-11 06:23 AM
    I, for one, don't see why we need QNX. I'm perfectly happy with my Curve's os. My biggest fear is that by implementing QNX, BlackBerry's security at the device level will be compromised or fitted with a back door. I'd hate to see the downfall of the best platform out there because hordes of idiots demanded something iphone/android-like.

05-03-11 06:57 AM
    There are obviously some limitations to the current BBOS. QNX in theory should be easy to develop for and limitless in what can be done. Yes, QNX is very much needed to progress in todays mobile world. BBOS just isnt going to keep up
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-03-11 at 10:47 AM.
    05-03-11 09:10 AM
    We don't NEED it. But we WANT it alright.

05-03-11 10:45 AM
    I don't think that we necessarily need QNX. I think that the direction that RIM has taken with BB7 has not only extended the life of the BBOS, I think that it has indeed shown that new (and exciting) features can be added to the operating system architecture, all while keeping the familiar BlackBerry experience.

What I see is the majority of the enhancements made to the OS being shown in the applications that are going to be developed to take advantage of them. I've never had an issue with the BBOS, and I'm happy to see that they haven't simply followed what people have said and scrapped it for something else. They are adding features, bringing it up to date. I haven't seen Apple updating their UI on the iPhone since its inception... I'm just saying. Just because it doesn't look or act like an Android doesn't mean it needs to be scrapped and redone.

If RIM does apply QNX to their mobile devices, I hope that they don't loose the "BlackBerryness" of the UI. Whatever they do, I'm sure it'll be nice.
    05-03-11 11:46 AM
    They do need it.

There is nothing wrong with BB OS right now, but they need to move forward and put software out that addresses everyone's needs, not just consumers and not just corporate users.

OS 7 is great and a welcomed improvement, however technology is moving forward and in order for us to have BlackBerrys in the future, RIM needs to move forward as well.
    05-03-11 11:51 AM
    Im quite happy with the looks of OS 6/7. its not complicated especially with the OS 7 updates like management of panes and better browsing.

Im happy with the QNX OS on the Playbook too and its well suited for that size screen.

In the end if they kept the look of OS 6/7 and integrated the backend of QNX so we could run android apps, flash etc then I'll be a happy chappy as long as my phone doesn't die within 3 hours :P
    05-03-11 12:10 PM
    RIM showed today that the much maligned BB OS is surprisingly capable.

It's interesting to compare BlackBerry 7 OS with Android. Which is more advanced? Google hasn't been able to work GPU acceleration into the Android UI, and RIM just did.

QNX is cool and probably a good long term strategy, but what do you think QNX is going to bring to the BlackBerry now that can't be done with the current OS?

Maybe the premise of BB OS being old, and therefore RIM is doomed, is actually wrong.
    Have you played with a Playbook??
    05-03-11 12:12 PM
    Have you played with a Playbook??
    The Playbook is not a phone.

05-03-11 02:07 PM
    I'd still like to hear if anyone can identify what the current OS can't do. I'm not saying QNX isn't the future, I'd just like to hear specifics from anyone who knows.
    05-03-11 02:16 PM
    I'd still like to hear if anyone can identify what the current OS can't do. I'm not saying QNX isn't the future, I'd just like to hear specifics from anyone who knows.
    I guess I am just not understanding, people have replied with answers at least 3 or 4 different times.
    05-03-11 02:48 PM
    I agree with synthmole, Masahiro, and D_March. I want to know..what is missing? I always ask people with Android and iPhones why they hate BB (many of them see me using my 9780 and say, "Oh BB, I would never go back to that."). I just don't get it. What is missing? Maybe I am too old, but I use a ton of stuff on my BB. Probably rely on it more than most people use their iPhone or Android.

I oftentimes thought QNX deployment was just a way for RIM to make it easier to develop apps for their phones, but I don't have enough technical knowledge to know if that is true or not. Maybe it is for more flexibility?
    05-03-11 02:50 PM
    RIMM doesnt need QNX, we need a miracle
    or Chuck Norris, or Charlie Sheen

bwaahaha :'(
    05-03-11 03:00 PM
    I guess I am just not understanding, people have replied with answers at least 3 or 4 different times.
    We must be reading a different thread, unless the major advancements are storing apps on an sd card, flash and running another OS apps. If so I don't see those as being major needs. Like I said, I love QNX but I'm just curious what are the limitations on the BB OS specifically.

05-03-11 03:00 PM
    Refer to this thread, where people have answered multiple times:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rim...ry-7-a-611133/
    05-03-11 03:11 PM
    The Playbook is not a phone.

Yes, well aware of that... (Actually it could be classified as a phone since video calling was added last night. . ) I thought anyone able to post on a forum could figure out that point, which is, the Playbook uses the QNX OS, same OS that will be in future phones and is what this thread is about.

If anyone wants to demo QNX, just go to your local Best Buy or Stables and play with a Playbook. Pretty simple.

Last edited by Blacklac; 05-03-11 at 03:46 PM.
    05-03-11 03:43 PM
    Refer to this thread, where people have answered multiple times:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rim...ry-7-a-611133/
    I saw that thread earlier. I honestly want to know from people who know about how these operating systems are built if there is an inherent weakness or failure within the current BB OS or if the better hardware along with these software additions in OS 7 will equal the playing field.

You keep pointing to no flash (which is also an issue for the iphone) and not running another operating systems apps on the BB operating system (which is a capability lacking in all other operating systems as well).

I am asking for specifics because I would like to understand it better not because I disagree or think it isn't true. The examples you gave do not, in my opinion, make for a vastly superior experience or OS. I love QNX and look forward to it's use on handsets in the future. That being said...what are the weaknesses in the current BB OS that make it so outdated and inferior to Android and iOS?
    Ferretling likes this.
    05-03-11 03:47 PM
    That being said...what are the weaknesses in the current BB OS that make it so outdated and inferior to Android and iOS?
    BlackBerry os is not inferior to Android or iOS. Even my Curve running 4.5 is better than android and iphone.

Last edited by T�nis; 05-03-11 at 04:03 PM.
    05-03-11 04:00 PM
    I saw that thread earlier. I honestly want to know from people who know about how these operating systems are built if there is an inherent weakness or failure within the current BB OS or if the better hardware along with these software additions in OS 7 will equal the playing field.

You keep pointing to no flash (which is also an issue for the iphone) and not running another operating systems apps on the BB operating system (which is a capability lacking in all other operating systems as well).

I am asking for specifics because I would like to understand it better not because I disagree or think it isn't true. The examples you gave do not, in my opinion, make for a vastly superior experience or OS. I love QNX and look forward to it's use on handsets in the future. That being said...what are the weaknesses in the current BB OS that make it so outdated and inferior to Android and iOS?
    It's hard to say exactly why the BB OS is being replaced at this point because it's a closed system and there aren't many people who know how it works or what its limitations are.

But in terms of OS capabilities I suspect QNX is far superior to BB OS in terms of architecture. QNX is one of the most table OS's in the world and has been around a long time. It's used for mission critical applications and it gets the job done.

It is also very good at multitasking. The model they use lends itself very well to modern consumer electronics and is pretty efficient. If I had to guess, I would say RIM's home brew OS is going to be retired as they can see the pitfalls coming down the line as CPU's become more capable and parallel.

Also QNX might be inherently faster as it runs native on the CPU as opposed to running in a JVM. I am not too sure on this last point as I've never looked into it though.
    05-03-11 04:19 PM
    Yes, well aware of that... (Actually it could be classified as a phone since video calling was added last night. . ) I thought anyone able to post on a forum could figure out that point, which is, the Playbook uses the QNX OS, same OS that will be in future phones and is what this thread is about.
    You missed my point. A Playbook is not used in the same way as a phone is, with portability, battery life, and screen size bring limiting factors.
    05-03-11 04:47 PM
    To some of us as individuals, no you or I may not need QNX. However, it's vital to the survival of the brand because they need to compete in the modern smartphone market. Even though you may not want/need the functionalities it brings, if you would like to buy BlackBerries in the future, then you actually do want/need it.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-03-11 04:51 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD