I'm thinking about switching from the Torch to the Iphone 4 because of many different things. I want to have a wide variety of apps to choose from because app world doesn't have anything. I also want something that I can play with when I'm on the go.

I have about a year left in my contract and was wondering how much it would be to switch from my torch to the iphone?

I don't really know about not having a keyboard and was wondering how long it took to get use to not having one?

Last question is basically overall what do you think of the iphone over the torch?

And if you have any pros/cons about the iphone?

Thanks in advance! =D
    05-02-11 05:33 AM
    I switched from a bold 9780 to an iphone 4... And let me tell u something... IPHONE 4 is the boss!! Apps are soooo cool and they build quality is awesome.
    PROS: Retina display, wide range of cool apps, excellent built quality, 720p HD recording, size of the phone is excellent.
    CONS: Battery life.
    There might be a couple of things that i missed out.. Google it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 05:53 AM
    How long does the battery usually last you? Are you a heavier user?

I'm also wondering if I should wait for iphone 5 to come out.

I also need to contact at&t to see how much it would be to switch phones.

05-02-11 06:22 AM
    Do you have any idea how much it would cost? I've only had my torch for around a year

05-02-11 07:50 AM
    Early upgrade on an iPhone 4 (16 gb) is going to set you back $450 smackaroos plus tax. You should be able to sell the Torch for at least $300 so that takes a bit of the sting out.

As far as the typing on the iPhone goes, I find I am really comfortable if I use the phone in landscape mode to type. I never really warmed up to the physical keyboard on the Torch because I didn't think it was as nice as the one I had on my Curve (ancient history!). I did, however, like the Torch "reduced keyboard" or whatever it was called on the screen.

I tried to go back to BlackBerry twice since having an iPhone (3Gs and 4) via the Torch and I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I'm addicted to my iPhone 4, Steve Jobs owns me, and I'll probably never use a BlackBerry again.
    Mike9800 likes this.
    05-08-11 12:47 PM
    I went Friday and bought it!!! Best purchase I've made in my life!!
    05-08-11 01:11 PM
    I own both like them both for different reasons during weekdays I use BB as I feel it excels at communications, ie email is faster, easier to manage. On the weekend I use the iPhone as it has more entertainment value

Both fill different needs
    05-08-11 03:31 PM
    The iPhone 4 is a outstanding device from the hardware to the software. the apps are beautifully done. It is by far the best phone on the market.

05-09-11 03:42 AM
    I have to totally agree with you there. Beautiful screen with awesome apps and its the easiest keyboard I've grown to learn and how to use in the least amount of time.
    05-09-11 05:32 AM
    I currently have the Torch. Tried I4 for a day and took it back.

The I4's screen looked great. The OS runs smooth. The typing was a bit awkward and would have taken awhile for me to get used to. IMO, the physical keyboard, trackpad, touch screen combo on the Torch is perfect.

For me, the deal breaker was the lack of LED indicator. It was nice to literally look across the room and see the LED and know exactly what the status of my phone is. I didn't realize how much I depended in it until it was gone. But this was my fault not doing the research before I got the phone. My last 4 phones have been BB's and I just assumed LED was a cell phone standard but boy was in for a rude awakening. Some folks say the LED was actually annoying but BB has the option to turn it off.

Didn't want to sway your decision, just wanted to give my personal thoughts. Good luck.

Machzy likes this.
    05-09-11 08:01 AM
    Im thinking about getting an Iphone too. I have the ipod touch 4g they say its a iphone. Anyway I now only use my bb style to text and call and use the camera because the camera seem to be better on the style than the touch. I dont even use BBM anymore. I havent been on herein a while because of apple. lol. So hopefully blackberry comes up with a 360 change.
    05-09-11 09:57 AM
    I have a BB9000, which i absolutely love. However, my son let me borrow his iPhone4 for a couple of days, just before my contract was up, and i was hooked! My iPhone4 beats the crap out of my BB.
    05-09-11 12:25 PM
    The good thing about being on GSM is that you can just switch sim cards if you
    feel like using your BB. Just be on a BB data plan and it'll even work on the iPhone
    as long as you unlock the APN which takes a minute.
    05-09-11 12:31 PM
    After having my Iphone 4 for a week now and switching from a Blackberry Torch I can say I miss my Blackberry but you love the Iphone 4.

Missing the Blackberry for the following reasons,

LED - Relied on it way to much
    Profiles - Had 3 different ones set and used almost on a daily basis
    Ability to set up a profile for a certain contact, e-mail alert for contacts/e-mail address and alert for individual contact for text messages.
    Stronger and longer vibrate

But I love the Iphone 4 for the awesome display it has, bigger display, huge selection of apps. The downside is the battery life isn't nearly as good as my Blackberry was.

I've done lots of searching and downloading apps to fill in some of the missing gaps but haven't been able to fullfill them as of yet. Currently trying to get MyProfiles app set up but either I'm not doing something right or I'm missing something since I can't get it set correct, plus it doesn't have a option for vibrate for text/e-mail alerts.

In closing, all in all I'm happy with the Iphone 4 and plan on keeping it and hopfully finding apps that will cover the gaps.
    05-09-11 06:21 PM
    I currently have the Torch. Tried I4 for a day and took it back.

The I4's screen looked great. The OS runs smooth. The typing was a bit awkward and would have taken awhile for me to get used to. IMO, the physical keyboard, trackpad, touch screen combo on the Torch is perfect.

For me, the deal breaker was the lack of LED indicator. It was nice to literally look across the room and see the LED and know exactly what the status of my phone is. I didn't realize how much I depended in it until it was gone. But this was my fault not doing the research before I got the phone. My last 4 phones have been BB's and I just assumed LED was a cell phone standard but boy was in for a rude awakening. Some folks say the LED was actually annoying but BB has the option to turn it off.

Didn't want to sway your decision, just wanted to give my personal thoughts. Good luck.
    I researched about the iPhone 4 for about three weeks and played with my friends a little. The best help that I could fine where youtube video reviews about the phone.

I have a BB9000, which i absolutely love. However, my son let me borrow his iPhone4 for a couple of days, just before my contract was up, and i was hooked! My iPhone4 beats the crap out of my BB.
    I agree with you 100%!!!!
    05-09-11 07:45 PM
    After years with RIM devices I bought an i4, loved it. Then I got caught up in the OS6 hype, sold the i4 and bought a Torch (big mistake). Struggled with the ancient browser and constant battery pulls for six weeks, sold it and paid retail for another i4.
    05-10-11 04:23 AM
    I'd imagine for those people that never tried an iPhone but still continue to say bad things about it, if you just hand them one (or an iPod touch) and just walk away, they'll be hooked as well . I know Apple got me with an iPod touch. I was firmly against the iPhone back in 2008 and was BB all day. Bought a Mac and got an iPod touch for free and it was over for BB from there.

A lot of people don't understand, that it's not just the novelty but the functionality. It's far from perfect but when compared to other devices/platforms, none give you the same quality in almost every area. From ease of use, battery life, applications, functionality, multimedia capabilities and form factor, no other device can give such high quality in all these areas.
    05-10-11 01:25 PM
    [QUOTE=garyf33;6314865Currently trying to get MyProfiles app set up but either I'm not doing something right or I'm missing something since I can't get it set correct, plus it doesn't have a option for vibrate for text/e-mail alerts. [/QUOTE]

Long time user of MyProfiles for email/SMS alerts. The application can be very flaky but it does work.
    * Set Rules engine to Off in Profiles (use System Default until you get alerts working)
    * In Alerts, set up your various categories (Work, Family, VIP, etc)
    * In each alert category you can set up vibrate patterns and specific tones
    * Groups is where you set up the specific email addresses or SMS triggers

Not the most straightforward setup but look at the doc for hints/examples.
    05-10-11 02:00 PM
    I really don't think its fair to compare the bb9000 to ip4 just sayin!
    05-10-11 07:17 PM
    I've personally tried both and I like my Torch a tiny bit better than the iPhone.

Torch Pros
    - LED (As mentioned earlier - it is a big deal, for me anyways)
    - Multiple profiles
    - Ability to customize each contact to different rings, etc
    - Mutli tasking a folds times better than the iPhone
    - BBM (Almost everyone that I know uses BBs)
    - General feel of apps updating
    (The in-background updating of things like Twitter, email, etc. are done so much better on BB IMO - you have to use the Twitter, facebook etc. apps & email on both iOS & BBOS to understand what I mean)
    - Awesome battery life

iPhone Pros
    - HUGE selection of Apps & support, this also includes always getting updates first. I always see companies pour boatloads of R&D into iOS & Android before BBOS
    - Great display, great resolution
    - User experience is awesome - What's that, I DON'T have to do a battery pull when installing/deleting apps?! CRAZINESS!
    - Design - I actually really like the look and feel of the iPhone - feels a lot more perfected than the Torch.

I'm a pretty heavy user - well I seem to be when I talk to my friends. I have a few different email accounts (on an average day 100 emails/day), I send about 1500-2500 texts per month (this doesn't include BBM), and that doesn't include music time & the apps that I use on a regular basis.

So what I found with the iPhone is that I'd get up in the morning 7-8 and the iPhone would be dead by 3-5 pm. Which is ridiculous for me. With my Torch - it's 10 pm where I am right now and I still have 65% battery life after getting up at 8 am this morning.

Either way, my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Machzy; 05-11-11 at 06:14 AM.
    05-10-11 08:03 PM
    Long time user of MyProfiles for email/SMS alerts. The application can be very flaky but it does work.
    * Set Rules engine to Off in Profiles (use System Default until you get alerts working)
    * In Alerts, set up your various categories (Work, Family, VIP, etc)
    * In each alert category you can set up vibrate patterns and specific tones
    * Groups is where you set up the specific email addresses or SMS triggers

Not the most straightforward setup but look at the doc for hints/examples.
    Thanks for the information, is it possible to add Vibrate under system sounds when you're in editing a profile? The only options are the audio alert and silent.
    05-11-11 07:16 AM
    Thanks for the information, is it possible to add Vibrate under system sounds when you're in editing a profile? The only options are the audio alert and silent.
    If you mean vibrate for a specific email address (or group of addresses), you need to do it in Groups option.
    05-11-11 07:30 AM
    If you mean vibrate for a specific email address (or group of addresses), you need to do it in Groups option.

No, for general e-mail/sms messages that I don't speciffy in a group.
    05-11-11 08:34 AM
    I really don't think its fair to compare the bb9000 to ip4 just sayin!
    You can compare the 9000 to the 3G and the 3G still kick it's arse
    05-11-11 11:45 AM
    I guess I'm the odd-man out here. I wanted the iPhone experience and physical keyboard so I ended up going Android instead. LED light and all. I find it has the best of the both worlds---but also brings a new set of annoyances along with it, like some buggy apps. Just have to check the reviews/star ratings before downloading. Battery life is also 'ok' at best.
    05-12-11 12:12 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD