Cannot find a similar thread if this has been discussed yet......

Finally made the decision to go out and invest in a PB. BestBuy in Orlando have tons of 16GB in stock but also admitted most PB's sold there were the 32GB or 64GB Versions. Not many 64GB in stock and the staff have NO idea how they work.

Is it worth the extra $ for the extra GB?

Are there any links showing how much average music/films/Docs etc can be stored on the three different versions?

Presumably all other Specs are identical other than the GB between each PB?

Apologies if this has already been discussed - thanks for your input!
    04-30-11 04:20 PM
    I have a 16GB iPod and I have it half filled with 1800 songs. So, if you go by that you could fit around 3600 songs on a 16GB, double that number for the higher the GB device. How much media do you think you will have? Movies take up more space, pictures take up less so you should be able to figure out around how much you will need. If you can't decide, go with something you know you will have enough room with.
    MrVeda likes this.
    04-30-11 04:23 PM
    I went for the 7 inch model. As far as capacity, I went for the 32gb and have a ton of space after putting on music and a ton of apps.
    04-30-11 04:57 PM
    it all comes down to your primary intended use and the reality that you really have no option to upgrade if you go smaller now. i can say that if you plan on using the video capture in full HD, an 18min 1080 video takes about 2gb of space. you can always easily move it off to regain that space but if you did a lot of video before you could move them off, 16gb can go fast. i personally went with the 64gb because i didn't see any way of upgrading later and didn't want to get stuck running out of space. i also have several TB external hard drives for my pc so that would be a cheaper route since those are cheap. you could just transfer large files off to your pc and/or external HD to keep the pb space used to a minimum.
    MrVeda likes this.
    04-30-11 05:03 PM
    Can never be wrong with more space.

My chain of thinking is...

16GB might be a tad small (remember, you only have about 11GB free after resources).

So for $599 for a 32GB seems to be the standard size most people buy.

Having said that, if your going to spend $599 on a 32GB, why not spend the extra $100 on a 64GB if your already speanding $599 for the device?

I use my PB as my BlueRay Player with the HDMI out so an average BR movie is about 7GB. I also have about 6GB of music which I haven't loaded yet. Already I would have maxxed out on a 16GB model.
    Last edited by narci; 04-30-11 at 05:11 PM.
    MrVeda likes this.
    04-30-11 05:09 PM
    My rule of thumb is to always purchase the largest amount of space that you can. It's like a condom, I'd rather have one on hand and not need it. Then need it and not have one on hand. (Yup, I just watched Aliens vs Predators and that line was in it
    MrVeda, MuruXD and redantz like this.
    04-30-11 05:16 PM
    i got the 16gb first.. my logic was that my torch has a 16gb card and still has 2- 5gb left w/ my songs and videos (i remove the videos after i watch them). what i underestimated was the size of the videos for this screen. yes, i can watch the videos made for the torch but i wanted the resolution and size. i ended up swapping for a 32
    MrVeda likes this.
    04-30-11 09:35 PM
    I have a 32GB and wished I had gotten a 64GB - not that Im running low currently, but would love MORE flexability.
    MrVeda likes this.
    04-30-11 09:40 PM
    I am running a 32 and think ima return it and get a 64gb.

here's my take. okay yea more's better ! im sure the PB will drastically improve.

but a few years later when this thing is obsolute, well it can just be used as your living room multimedia player. it has wifi network drive, so dumping files onto ur pb is a painless progress. leave it permanently connected to ur tv.. and you have urself an awesome multimedia player ! or just an expensive NAS LOLZ !
    04-30-11 09:43 PM
    I went for the 7 inch model. As far as capacity, I went for the 32gb and have a ton of space after putting on music and a ton of apps.
    i agree. 7" is the way to go as all the other sizes are just not the right fit
    04-30-11 09:47 PM
    Ummmm...the playbook only comes in a 7 inch size.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 12:49 AM
    Ummmm...the playbook only comes in a 7 inch size.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I found that funny as well.

I opted for the 64gb model using the logic already stated in this thread. Get the most you can get. I easily filled mine. It has roughly 60 apps, 5300 songs, 120 videos (Some old bb phone vids, 7 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm and 2 are movies, not hd, but look good, both coming in at under 1gb), and 700 documents (All this info is found in the Options/About screen).
    05-01-11 02:50 AM
    I opted for the 32GB also with the logic of others stated in this thread. Also, my logic also included that I have an external hard drive that houses all my movies and app backups that can easily be transferred back and forth to my PB if I run out of space which hasn't happened and I don't see happening for me in the future...unless apps grow to massive sizes in the future.
    05-01-11 03:01 AM
    Went for 64gb. Like others I got what was the biggest affordable with an eye to the future.
    05-01-11 05:57 AM
    If you going to use it as a central point for all your media then get the biggest one, if you just going to use it to browse the web then you can get away with 16gb.
    05-01-11 06:15 AM
    How much can you afford?

That's the one you want to buy.
    05-01-11 06:21 AM
    i had i initially purchased a 16gb model (the same as my wife's iPad 2) but considering the fact that there was only 11gb of storage available and the fact that the Playbook's camera system records higher resolution images and video, I exchanged it for the 32gb model. I don't tend to keep much music on the device at all however I do like to have a couple of movies available.

As was mentioned previously, if you don't plan on carrying LOTS of music and videos and if you can routinely offload your own pictures and videos to your PC for long-term storage then the 16gb is a great value; why pay more for space that you will never use? Personally, I just wanted the extra space "just in case".
    05-01-11 06:33 AM
    Just ordered the 32gb model on Staples! Will be here in two days. So exited!
    05-09-11 02:37 PM
    I bought the 64GB model because one of my intentions was for this device to store movies to watch on long plane trips to Asia. Each movie is approximately 1 to 2 GB. Plus I'm putting more and more songs on the Playbook to for listening. I figure there will eventually be a few larger games I want out down the road, so I went with the 64 to be safe. Think about what you want to do with the device and go from there. If you won't put a lot of movies on it, then a 32 is probably fine.
    MrVeda likes this.
    05-09-11 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD