04-28-11 03:33 PM
    Shares are down about 9% at the moment. Not good. They need some new phones out YESTERDAY. and more Playbook Marketing.
    04-28-11 03:35 PM
    I can't trade after hours. But when tomorrow morning comes, I'm gonna have to decide whether to sell or go long(er). I might be up for a while tonight. All I can hope is that they sell a lot of Playbooks and come out with the 10 inch Playbook ASAP.
    04-28-11 03:41 PM
    I'm actually looking at getting back in to RIM shares with this news. I expect a release of new phones and Word of mouth Growth on the Playbook will bring revenue in Q2 /Q3 back to forcast amounts

RIM is always undervalued in the US,
    I really think they will pull out a wild card and surprise the media before year end

I just don't know where I want to come in at yet since I think the media / bloggers will push this for a week, do I was for $42 per share?

With a year end of 60-65?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 04:14 PM
    Listening to the conference call... lots (and I mean LOTS) of talk about 'transitioning', 'excitement', confidence in the long term growth. New products to be announced next week are supposed to be great, RIM says. Sure hope Jim is right, and it's not just corporate bull.
    Last edited by XPEH; 04-28-11 at 05:12 PM.
    04-28-11 04:50 PM
    Listening to the conference call... lots (and I mean LOTS) of talk about 'transitioning', 'excitement', confidence in the long term growth. New products to be announced next week are supposed to be great, RIM says. Sure how Jim is right, and it's not just corporate bull.
    I was listening as well, but what makes me nervous, is that they sound a bit nervous on the call. No confidence in the voice.
    04-28-11 04:56 PM
    The problem is it is too late
    I guess there were rumors of a buyout today:

The Saddest Part Of The RIMM Disaster: Investors Thought They Were About To Announce A Sale

As an investor, I think this may be the only way out.
    04-28-11 05:01 PM
    watching bloomberg right now at work actually and they were talking about it and MS.

They made the exact point i think many make on here. While RIMM sales are growing in actual number its the rate at which it is growing that is not good. They mentioned its growing at 23% rate instead of the constant 4X% that it has been growing in the past. So the growth is slowing quite a bit. And most sales are coming from the lower end phones not their cream of the crop torch/storms.
    04-28-11 05:14 PM
    I was listening as well, but what makes me nervous, is that they sound a bit nervous on the call. No confidence in the voice.
    I noticed that too - just trying to talk the way out of a crappy situation. But then I have a feeling that's just the way he talks so I don't know how much to read into it. I'm excited to see new devices, but am worried about how far they'll keep falling behind while they are transitioning. Ah well... in the meantime, I'll at least enjoy my Playbook.
    04-28-11 05:15 PM
    I guess there were rumors of a buyout today:

The Saddest Part Of The RIMM Disaster: Investors Thought They Were About To Announce A Sale

As an investor, I think this may be the only way out.
    A buyout announcement would be nice but I just don't see it happening. Certainly not from Microsoft like this article implies. Microsoft is partnering with Nokia and pushing their Windows Phone OS - I don't think they have much to gain from taking over RIM. And if not Microsoft, then who?
    04-28-11 05:18 PM
    Apparently a lot of work went into OS 7...those who have had hands on are really impressed with the new devices coming out soon...Even BGR was really, really impressed...

What's hurting growth is not having any really new products for quite some time...

RIM needs to get these out the door ASAP!!!!they are aware of this obviously as we are on CB...

A poster mentioned hearing a tone of nervousness in Jim B's voice...I'm unaware as I haven't heard the conference call! If there was any truth to this it would stem from getting approval and certification ASAP in order to have these products launch very soon. Jim B wants these products available ASAP...better light a fire under the employee's a sses!!!!!!!

As far as RIM having a prosperous future that's almost certain as they are heavily investing in some amazing tech and product lines....

Transitions are painful for companies and share holders...

2010 gave us many signs that there would be growing pains come 2011.....this is a very exciting year in terms of the future....unfortunately it will be filled with euphoric highs..and deep valleys...2011 is a roller coaster ride indeed...

I'm much more interested in the future as the lows of 2011 were obvious for quite sometime....

Really wish we could hit the fast forward button a few months! Peace...

Off to the PB forum now! I'd rather focus my time on the forum toward my QNX bliss and summer/fall PB platform joy! Her's to a prosperous future for RIM.....with a roller coaster ride in the near term!
    bobocox1 likes this.
    04-28-11 05:56 PM
    Apparently a lot of work went into OS 7...those who have had hands on are really impressed with the new devices coming out soon...Even BGR was really, really impressed...
    Can you provide a link or point me in the right direction to where I can find and read the impressions of OS7?
    04-28-11 06:03 PM
    @chillson1386

Can you provide a link or point me in the
    right direction to where I can find and
    read the impressions of OS7?
    BGR

Select Blackberry and go through the article archive from jan '11 to now...BGR has articles of Bold touch,OS 6.1(which is now 7),leaked 2011 blackberry road map etc..and references his impressions of his hands on time...just brief..."Sleek" "sexy" etc...type references..

CB Kevin mentioned in his posts the past few days he's been hearing good things too! Read through them!

Sorry for not having any links! I don't have time to go digging tonight...I frequent the CB forums enough that in the future I'll keep a journal for informative links...

Hope that helps in some way! Before you go digging ...they are very brief impressions...nothing deep...however still impressions none the less!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 04-28-11 at 06:38 PM.
    04-28-11 06:34 PM
    Even with the revision...profit should still be around 700 million...

Let's just hurry up and get this transition phase over ASAP!
    04-28-11 06:46 PM
    I guess I just don't understand why they aren't seeing a need for urgency here.
    04-28-11 06:47 PM
    it will be realy interesting to see what next quarters guidence is
    04-28-11 06:58 PM
    RIM has no future in high end devices, and since the USA was it's biggest high end seller, and sales are down, if the company wants to survive it will have to focus on lower end devices. bundle that with the fact that qnx is now here, and basically a flop, since nobody does or will ever care about developing for it, you're going to still be stuck with low end cheap alternatives to much nicer phones that are honestly only a little bit more money. there was a time when i really had hope for RIM, even after switching to android last year...i wanted the playbook to be the device that put them back on top, then it launches without email...etc, and well, the playbook will fail, it is failing because it's useless to have one without having a blackberry to tie the two together, and even if i did still have a blackberry i wouldn't want to have to have the phone just to use the playbook.

RIM is seriously at this point fumbling around without a clue as to what to do about anything. there's a whole gigantic crop of low end android phones coming out, and already out and it's only a matter of time before those start swamping RIM's low end overseas sales as well. they missed the boat. i really don't think there's anything they could do at this point. for years now it's always been a waiting game with them. it so so so so closely resembles nokia, always "wait we've got the device that's going to save us in the labs right now" only every time it comes out it's behind the times.

i rooted for you RIM, truly i did, i just would be willing to bet every dime i have at this point that you are done.
    I don't agree. The Playbook is the best of the crop with respect to hardware. They just need to get the software in line with the hardware. No doubt there are glitches, but glitches plague every device.

You can see where RIM is going with their handhelds with the Playbook, at some point in time the underlying hardware and software will be on hand helds.
    04-28-11 07:28 PM
    that's the perfect example of what i was trying to outline, it's always 'at some point' unfortunately that point never comes. people have been saying this for years now only to be consistently let down. RIM needs growth, and the playbook will not provide this, nobody is going to jump ship from android or iOS for the playbook, especially considering it doesn't do basic functions that their current devices do. since RIM is declining in share growth is the only thing that can save them. and you tell me, what does RIM's horizon hold that is going to offer growth? sure qnx has the potential to, but i think RIM has already dropped the ball in that game to be honest. maybe i'm wrong, but i just don't see anything qnx is really brining to the table that isn't being done better elsewhere. it's not going to be on phones anytime soon, and there's better options in the tablet world. so answer me this, how does qnx/playbook save the day here?

glitches aren't what is holding anything back, if the playbook saves the day it needs developers, and seriously, the development community simple doesn't care about it. perhaps the biggest development community in existence is the xda community and they don't even have a forum for the device. that's just my perception but if there was excitement to develop for the qnx platform it'd be happening there.

the important thing to picture is the BIG picture, RIM dominated the mobile market for years because they were doing things nobody else was, then people start imagining their devcies doing more, while rim stuck with 'what we have works' because that attitude worked for so long, for so long they just did what they did and they were the best at it. new people came along with better devices, perhaps that's subjective to opinion, but the alternative argument to the devices being better are people here saying 'well my bb does what i need it to' but so do the other devices, usually better and with a lot more options and well, options are never bad. i just think the mentality in RIM is wrong, it's undeniably a catchup game now and when they show their hand the competitors are already on a different deck.

the implications of qnx on handhelds being a positive for rim sound nice, but when are these devices coming out? definitely not this year... maybe next year? you don't think by next year we're going to be seeing currently unimaginable devices from htc and apple and samsung? my point is i just wish i could picture RIM level handing the competition but i can't. they've allowed disbelief of loss of market to blind them of their demise.
    Last edited by katiepea; 04-28-11 at 07:48 PM.
    04-28-11 07:38 PM
    the implications of qnx on handhelds being a positive for rim sound nice, but when are these devices coming out? definitely not this year... maybe next year? you don't think by next year we're going to be seeing currently unimaginable devices from htc and apple and samsung? my point is i just wish i could picture RIM level handing the competition but i can't. they've allowed disbelief of loss of market to blind them of their demise.
    Unimagineable? Hardly... You can probably predict the specs down to a T, and the form factors and body shells from most of the major manufacturers barely diverge.

Not to mention the chips are announced ahead of time. So if you are getting your socks blown off by the specs it's simply because you weren't paying attention in the first place...
    04-28-11 07:54 PM
    Unimagineable? Hardly... You can probably predict the specs down to a T, and the form factors and body shells from most of the major manufacturers barely diverge.

Not to mention the chips are announced ahead of time. So if you are getting your socks blown off by the specs it's simply because you weren't paying attention in the first place...
    so you know what will be standardized in the mobile industry this time next year? if so please let me know, i'm excited to hear.
    04-28-11 08:11 PM
    RIMs issues right now stem from being unable to execute and poor vision. That falls directly on management.
    I agree! I think they need a management shakeup, like yesterday. They have been failing to execute on devices since the Storm launch. The Storm sold well, but I really think that is where they stumbled and really have not recovered since. It always seems like we are waiting on the next big release; the next handheld will be the game changer, the Playbook will blow all other tablets away, the next OS update will really fix all the bugs, the next, the next.... People are tired of waiting around and jumping ship, and they have nothing to attract new customers with, which is where they are going to get bit badly.
    04-28-11 08:29 PM
    so you know what will be standardized in the mobile industry this time next year? if so please let me know, i'm excited to hear.
    Snapdragon Bites Back: Qualcomm Announces A Quad-Core 2.5Ghz Chipset For Mobile Devices

Tegra 3 quad core 1.5GHz shapes up

It's not exactly like there's a large selection pool of hardware going around... You look at the announcements, look at the estimated timeframes, and put 2 and 2 together.
    04-28-11 08:34 PM
    difference in opinion being a troll
    04-28-11 08:38 PM
    Snapdragon Bites Back: Qualcomm Announces A Quad-Core 2.5Ghz Chipset For Mobile Devices

Tegra 3 quad core 1.5GHz shapes up

It's not exactly like there's a large selection pool of hardware going around... You look at the announcements, look at the estimated timeframes, and put 2 and 2 together.
    heh, exciting altho, some new battery tech is surely going to have to develop, given the fact that a lot of people play games and probably a lot will be overclocking also, you're looking at a possible 2+ghz quadcore cpu ..haha it seems crazy really, seems like it'd burn your hands.
    04-28-11 08:51 PM
    heh, exciting altho, some new battery tech is surely going to have to develop, given the fact that a lot of people play games and probably a lot will be overclocking also, you're looking at a possible 2+ghz quadcore cpu ..haha it seems crazy really, seems like it'd burn your hands.
    It's a lost cause regardless... The battery tech investment is microscopic compared to every other feature. It will only get worse. 3D + HD recording + 15mbps network transfers + dual core to quad core... Battery suck is the new standard, starting this year...

That and consumers are not prioritizing battery life at all, so the investment just isn't there...

All the people who aren't already running LTE on Android have no idea what they are in for battery life wise...
    Last edited by papped; 04-28-11 at 08:56 PM.
    04-28-11 08:54 PM
117 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD