Does anyone notice the playbook disappears from your computer's "Network." I'm not sure what's happening but I have transferred files before and I also have wifi access on my playbook. However, it is not listed on my computer anymore.

Is anyone else running into this problem and/or know a solution?

Thanks,

Justin
    04-27-11 02:41 PM
    I have the same problem. Pb is connect to wifi with wifi sharing option turn on and both my desktop and pb is in the same workgroup. When pb is connect to my desktop via usb cable, pb will show up under "Network". When i unplug pb from the cable, it will disappear from "Network" listing. And I also can't use "\\" to connect to pb over wifi.
    ps: maybe my router is too old...
    04-27-11 02:53 PM
    double check the IP of your playbook (settings->general->network).
    then on your pc: run \\1.2.3.4\ (the ip of your playbook)

also, check if you can ping the playbook as well:
    on the pc: run ping 1.2.3.4 (the ip of your playbook)
    danield3 and Snoke like this.
    04-27-11 02:55 PM
    My router is brand new... Where would you input "\\"?
    04-27-11 02:56 PM
    in windows: start->run
    04-27-11 02:58 PM
    Ok, so no problem connecting by inputting IP address.

Do you know why it isn't showing up there in Windows Network under the Playbook name?

Thanks,

Justin
    04-27-11 03:02 PM
    not really. windows file sharing as you were using it, uses 2 protocols. one is cifs/samba, which does the actual mounting of shares and transfering of data. The other is netbios which is a network name service. Try refreshing or searching again. Could also be that the workgroup when hooked up via USB is different from the workgroup when accessed via wifi.
    04-27-11 03:09 PM
    double check the IP of your playbook (settings->general->network).
    then on your pc: run \\1.2.3.4\ (the ip of your playbook)

also, check if you can ping the playbook as well:
    on the pc: run ping 1.2.3.4 (the ip of your playbook)

My playbook does not show up under network to do the wifi file sharing. Can anyone help me out to set it up.
    05-08-11 01:59 PM
    I have resently noticed the same issue. I use the file share at both home and work. Still works at work where it shows up in windows explorer, but it stopped showing up at home. I was just ready to start a new post - when I saw this one pop up read it and low and behold - others are having the same issue and I could just add to this one instead of new. I don't like that it doesn't show up naturally, but am happy that I can get it to show via the IP address. Thanks to "JustAnotherBeerbot"
    05-28-11 01:13 PM
    I was having the same problem. I went to Options>Storage and Sharing>Network Identification Properties. Once there, I changed the Tablet Network Name to something different. When I went back to my pc, the Playbook showed up again in its Network. Not sure what caused it, or if it works for everyone, but try it out...
    Snoke and perfectson like this.
    05-28-11 05:33 PM
    I was having the same problem. I went to Options>Storage and Sharing>Network Identification Properties. Once there, I changed the Tablet Network Name to something different. When I went back to my pc, the Playbook showed up again in its Network. Not sure what caused it, or if it works for everyone, but try it out...
    worked like a charm...
    06-04-11 08:34 AM
    the basic steps are as follows:

In windows 7, go to the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" screen? Under the "home or work" heading, I have mine set up like this...

network discovery: mine is "on"
    file & printer sharing: mine is "on"
    public folder sharing: mine is "on"
    media streaming: mine is "on"
    file sharing connections: mine is set to use 128 bit encryption
    password protected sharing: mine is "on"
    homegroup connections: mine is set to "use user accounts & passwords"

Also, on the PB, under the "cog" settings, touch the "storage and settings", then touch "network identification" and make sure the name of your workgroup as shown on the PB matches the name of your windows 7 network. The default name is "workgroup" and that is how mine is set.

I'm really not sure if any of these settings could cause the problem you're having. Just saying that these are how mine are set and it is working.
    06-04-11 12:34 PM
    Hey guys, I hate to revive an old thread, (two months is ancient with all the recent RIM news) but I've been having troubles with Wifi file sharing by Playbook name since the update to 1.0.7. I can connect fine using the IP address, but it doesn't show up automatically under Windows 7 or Mac OS Snow Leopard, and my router assigns a different IP address every time the Playbook connects so memorizing a single IP address doesn't work.

Everything was fine until the 1.0.7 update. I've tried the various steps in this thread, like changing the Playbook network name and making sure all the PCs were on the same workgroup. I must be missing something basic...any thoughts?
    08-06-11 05:21 PM
    Hey guys, I hate to revive an old thread, (two months is ancient with all the recent RIM news) but I've been having troubles with Wifi file sharing by Playbook name since the update to 1.0.7. I can connect fine using the IP address, but it doesn't show up automatically under Windows 7 or Mac OS Snow Leopard, and my router assigns a different IP address every time the Playbook connects so memorizing a single IP address doesn't work.

Everything was fine until the 1.0.7 update. I've tried the various steps in this thread, like changing the Playbook network name and making sure all the PCs were on the same workgroup. I must be missing something basic...any thoughts?
    Did you try this?
    Workaround for WiFi file sharing on the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-06-11 05:41 PM
    Thanks smakberry - I posted my remark above before 1.0.7 came out. Soon as I tried the "workaround", it worked. Sheesh??!!! How does RIM manage to let these kinds of glitches slip into their programming? Grrrrr.
    08-06-11 06:05 PM
    Thanks smakberry - I posted my remark above before 1.0.7 came out. Soon as I tried the "workaround", it worked. Sheesh??!!! How does RIM manage to let these kinds of glitches slip into their programming? Grrrrr.

No worries, I figured since this was an old thread to begin with, the previous posts weren't really going to help out as it's a glitch on the newest OS.
    Glad it worked for you.
    08-06-11 06:11 PM
    Please help! I show playbook under network but when I click to connect I get a error can not connect to the device. I checked my work group name on my computer and its workgroup same as on playbook. Not sure whats the problem?
    08-06-11 06:45 PM
    Kojo2001, go to the link posted by smakberry. The workaround worked before the update and will always work to connect to the PB's samba server. In short, just grab the ip from wifi settings. If you know how to map to a network drive, you may go to work. If not, the link will help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    08-06-11 06:49 PM
    Thanks, SmakBerry for the link. I can find my Playbook with the IP address, unfortunately since its IP keeps changing due to my router's dynamic IP assign, meaning I have to go to the Playbook's Wifi settings to find the IP address, then type that in....a bit inconvenient if it's in the next room.

But at least I know now that it's not something specific to my setup, and that this bug will (hopefully) be fixed in the next update.
    08-06-11 07:40 PM
    Thanks, SmakBerry for the link. I can find my Playbook with the IP address, unfortunately since its IP keeps changing due to my router's dynamic IP assign, meaning I have to go to the Playbook's Wifi settings to find the IP address, then type that in....a bit inconvenient if it's in the next room.

But at least I know now that it's not something specific to my setup, and that this bug will (hopefully) be fixed in the next update.
    Yes, definitely a pain, but it could be worse... it could not work at all .
    I really hope it's fixed in the update as well.
    08-06-11 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD