I'm just trying to get the VPN working on my PlayBook. However, is anyone else getting the same problem as me? I'm trying to put in a server address (eg. vpn.blank.com) but the input box will only allow me to put in numbers for the address.

Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks!
    04-27-11 02:05 PM
    I don't work with VPN much, but at present it may not translate from the assigned internal IP address. Just like on the internet, we tend to use an alias rather than the numbers for most addresses.

Just my WAG!
    04-27-11 02:13 PM
    open a command prompt on your computer and ping the name of your vpn server. this will return an ip address which you can enter into the playbook
    04-27-11 02:15 PM
    Open up a command prompt on your PC. Ping vpn.blank.com and use the IP address that it resolves as the numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 02:15 PM
    Open up a command prompt on your PC. Ping vpn.blank.com and use the IP address that it resolves as the numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Then the hard(er) part is entering all the other information ie Cisco, Microsoft, Genric, ipv3, ipv4 yadda yadda yadda.

That is the part that I am stuck on but I know that is on my end and the forums might not know those answers.
    04-27-11 02:21 PM
    Bar in mind that any decently secure vpn server/router should not allow pings to it. Don't be suprised if you get no return.
    04-27-11 02:23 PM
    Thanks! Although I'm not too sure whether I'll be able to get my PlayBook set up to the VPN because we use Cisco's AnyConnect system and so far it doesn't look compatible.
    04-27-11 02:23 PM
    Just trying VPN for the first time. I set up a VPN server on my desktop using the instructions I found here. Then I tried to follow the instructions for setting it up on my PlayBook that I found here.

So three questions:
    1. Which Gateway type do I choose?
    2. Which authentication type do I choose?
    3. I have a static IP for my network. Is that what I put in as the IP address?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Vidge; 05-16-11 at 06:29 PM.
    05-16-11 06:26 PM
    Although I have always come to this site to get answers I finally signed up. Not sure how everything works here just yet. However I too am having the same issue with VPN and PB. I have set up an incoming VPN connection on my windows XP as has been suggested here and on many youtube videos. However apart from this guide PB
    How to setup Blackberry Playbook VPN � aussecurity
    Which still is too technical for me I haven't been able to find anything else. I called RIM's Tech support and they were asking for info that I wasn't sure exactly what is what. I have signed up with DynDNS and have a domain. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615 wifi router I have the IP addresses of all my BB products that use this wifi (pb and 2 bb smartphones, 1 desktop pc, 2 laptops, and one Mac Desktop)
    I'm only interested in connecting remotely over any internet connection from my playbook to my dell laptop. This is all home based and there are no work servers etc.. just a lap top running win xp with a vpn incoming connection already set up.
    If anyone knows of a video or a guide that not only tells me what I have to put into the PB VPN set up but where exactly can I find it on my end what is required in plain english would be great.
    PLAYBOOK ADD NEW VPN PROFILE
    PROFILE NAME: could this be any profile i choose or something specific?
    SERVER ADDRESS: which server the laptop's the routers or DynDNS?
    GATEWAY TYPE: I have no idea
    AUTHENTICATION TYPE: Dido
    AUTHENTICATION ID: ???
    PRESHARED KEY: ???
    Again I have all the info I believe I need from my D Link router as I have logged in and printed the device info pertaining to my home connections I just don't know what goes where on the PB VPN New connection and where exactly am I to get this info. I'm already using IMT VNC app that I got from appworld and that works fine along with tight vnc but that only works when I'm home and on the same wifi connection. Anyhow I hope I didn't do anything wrong on my first post and I'm glad I finally signed up. I actully signed up in order to enter the contest for the Breaking News for Blackberry app and I still haven't entered the contest yet will be doing that right after this post. And thanks crackberry for all the help I've gotten in the past for my smartphone.
    07-17-11 10:54 AM
    Bar in mind that any decently secure vpn server/router should not allow pings to it. Don't be suprised if you get no return.
    The ping is used to translate the named address to an IP. Even if the request times out it will report the IP from the DNS server.
    07-17-11 01:06 PM
    Although I have always come to this site to get answers I finally signed up. Not sure how everything works here just yet. However I too am having the same issue with VPN and PB. I have set up an incoming VPN connection on my windows XP as has been suggested here and on many youtube videos. However apart from this guide PB
    How to setup Blackberry Playbook VPN � aussecurity
    Which still is too technical for me I haven't been able to find anything else. I called RIM's Tech support and they were asking for info that I wasn't sure exactly what is what. I have signed up with DynDNS and have a domain. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615 wifi router I have the IP addresses of all my BB products that use this wifi (pb and 2 bb smartphones, 1 desktop pc, 2 laptops, and one Mac Desktop)
    I'm only interested in connecting remotely over any internet connection from my playbook to my dell laptop. This is all home based and there are no work servers etc.. just a lap top running win xp with a vpn incoming connection already set up.
    If anyone knows of a video or a guide that not only tells me what I have to put into the PB VPN set up but where exactly can I find it on my end what is required in plain english would be great.
    PLAYBOOK ADD NEW VPN PROFILE
    PROFILE NAME: could this be any profile i choose or something specific?
    SERVER ADDRESS: which server the laptop's the routers or DynDNS?
    GATEWAY TYPE: I have no idea
    AUTHENTICATION TYPE: Dido
    AUTHENTICATION ID: ???
    PRESHARED KEY: ???
    Again I have all the info I believe I need from my D Link router as I have logged in and printed the device info pertaining to my home connections I just don't know what goes where on the PB VPN New connection and where exactly am I to get this info. I'm already using IMT VNC app that I got from appworld and that works fine along with tight vnc but that only works when I'm home and on the same wifi connection. Anyhow I hope I didn't do anything wrong on my first post and I'm glad I finally signed up. I actully signed up in order to enter the contest for the Breaking News for Blackberry app and I still haven't entered the contest yet will be doing that right after this post. And thanks crackberry for all the help I've gotten in the past for my smartphone.
    I ve been trying to figure this one out since the day that i got my pb but still havent found a decent article about it..... If theres anyone out there who is good at this please help us ignorant souls...
    Vidge likes this.
    07-17-11 02:52 PM
    Does anyone know how to set Boxpn vpn on the playbook? I called Boxpn Support and they said they don't offer support for PlayBook but they have members you have got it working!
    02-03-14 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD