Are these Torch issues design flaws?

1. The screen-lock which comes with the Torch is unusable. When the phone is taken out of the holster the screen automatically unlocks (becomes active) before given the user a chance to hold the phone in position. As a consequence you end up inadvertently lunching apps, changing phone settings or making unwanted phone calls. My solution has been to use a commercial app (SwipeLock); however, there are others like KeyboardLock which could solve the problem as well.

2. When using headphones, alerts for incoming calls sound in the phone speaker rather than in the headphones! If headsets are meant to free up your hands and block surrounding noise, why making the phone ring where you can�t hear it? Although the headset goes silent, the user may still not hear the phone ringing in the holster...resulting in missing calls. How about re-routing the alert to the headphones when these are in use and the phone is in holster?

3. On the same line, the Torch needs a more convenient way to answer a call when using headphones. Aceptable to the user could be : a) a double click in the headset's microphone or b) tap the screen lock button on the top of the phone. This buttom is exposed in most holsters without having to take the phone out of the holster. Again, make it more of a hands free device in those situations.

4. On the alarm clock the user is unable to select which days of the week are "weekdays". Even inexpensive phones have that feature. Not everybody's workweek is the same.

5. How about multiple recurring alarms?

6. When accessing internet I don�t see a way to unequivocally ascertain which means of connection is being used: the WiFi or the AT&T tower. I know that it's supposed to give priority to the WifI, but I had situations, with low wifi signal , where the phone continued to show both providers at the the top of the Home screen yet the communication was carried out via the ATT tower, (and billed for it!)
    danhharp likes this.
    04-27-11 11:50 AM
    I don't like the issue about the alarm but the thing that bugs me the most is not being able to go to my address book and adding somebody. There isn't an option for it which is stupid. Instead, I have to call the person or email them then highlight it, go to options, then click on add to contacts. What if I don't want to call or email them now? But if I don't add it at the moment ill more than likely forget it later. All the cheaper dull phones I've had let me add contacts whenever I wanted. I can't believe the designers of the torch over looked this feature. Its definitely not convenient.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 12:21 PM
    definitely all issues that could probably be fixed via a software update and probably more to do with OS6 then the actual torch... a design flaw like the top lock buttons are far to easy to tap on/off or the lack of a second convenience key :P

1) I've had problems where I'll be talking to someone and I'll somehow put them on hold, put them on loud speaker or dial a number and start ringing someone else - very very annoying. Definitely wish there was a way to just turn the touch screen off all together especially since we have other ways of inputting commands i.e trackpad.

2) Can't say I've used this feature on the torch but definitely see the problem you're saying.

3) same answer as number 2.

4)yeah my nokia n95 and my el cheapo sony ericsson phone did a way better job then RIM has implemented here. In saying that, I do love the new alarm tones

5)same as above

6)I think the icons on the bb are pretty distinguishable when it comes to when you're connected to wifi or not but I can't really chime in about the AT&T stuff - only suggestion is to not allow AT&T to auto-connect and connect manually?
    04-27-11 12:28 PM
    I don't like the issue about the alarm but the thing that bugs me the most is not being able to go to my address book and adding somebody. There isn't an option for it which is stupid. Instead, I have to call the person or email them then highlight it, go to options, then click on add to contacts. What if I don't want to call or email them now? But if I don't add it at the moment ill more than likely forget it later. All the cheaper dull phones I've had let me add contacts whenever I wanted. I can't believe the designers of the torch over looked this feature. Its definitely not convenient.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Are you trying to add a new contact when you are in your address book?
    04-27-11 12:32 PM

What do you mean you can't add someone? Do you go to Contacts from your Home screen? New Contact is listed in the BB menu.

If you mean you hit the Call button, then click on that address book, it's not there because that feature assumes you're about to make a phone call (since you hit the Call button first) and is showing you all your current Contacts.

Now, if you recently called someone and go to Call button, then the Call log, you can choose to add to contacts any recently received or called number.
    04-27-11 12:33 PM
    I agree with 4 and 5...

You can, in contacts or address book, assuming you are using the built in contacts, open it up > menu > new contact.

Alternately, you can phone > call logs > scroll to caller > menu > add to existing contact

Same with the email, open message > menu > add to existing contact.

I know it's not instant, but it can be done without calling or emailing them first.

There is also a paid app, which i think was 2.99 or 3.99, called "add to contact 2" which, after a call, will ask you if you want to add that caller to your contacts.
    04-27-11 12:37 PM
    1. The screen-lock which comes with the Torch is unusable. When the phone is taken out of the holster the screen automatically unlocks (becomes active) before given the user a chance to hold the phone in position. As a consequence you end up inadvertently lunching apps, changing phone settings or making unwanted phone calls. My solution has been to use a commercial app (SwipeLock); however, there are others like KeyboardLock which could solve the problem as well.
    I personally don't find this to be much of an issue. With the OEM holster, I just grab the phone from the upper sides and pull it out. It seems you have already rectified this issue with an app. A password lock would also solve the issue.

2. When using headphones, alerts for incoming calls sound in the phone speaker rather than in the headphones! If headsets are meant to free up your hands and block surrounding noise, why making the phone ring where you can�t hear it? Although the headset goes silent, the user may still not hear the phone ringing in the holster...resulting in missing calls. How about re-routing the alert to the headphones when these are in use and the phone is in holster?
    From my experience, the alerts will go through your headphone when you have the media player running (e.g. when you're listening to music). When it is not running, it will go through your phone as usual. The reason for this is because sometimes you may have bluetooth enabled, or have a headphone plugged in, but you may not be wearing it. Besides, if you're not listening to music, you shouldn't have any problem hearing alerts (I don't). If you are, then you need to either increase the volume, or have it set to vibrate if it's in a holster.

3. On the same line, the Torch needs a more convenient way to answer a call when using headphones. Aceptable to the user could be : a) a double click in the headset's microphone or b) tap the screen lock button on the top of the phone. This buttom is exposed in most holsters without having to take the phone out of the holster. Again, make it more of a hands free device in those situations.
    This is more dependent on the design of the headset. Some models have dedicated call connect/disconnect buttons built into the cord.

4. On the alarm clock the user is unable to select which days of the week are "weekdays". Even inexpensive phones have that feature. Not everybody's workweek is the same.

5. How about multiple recurring alarms?
    This has never been a big issue for me, as my alarm changes on a daily basis. I'm sure there's an app for this kind of thing though.
    04-27-11 12:43 PM
    1. I agree there's a flaw in the lock button. It's too sensitive and easily gets turned on and off. I use a screen lock program, too.

2. I can't comment on headphones, since I don't use them with my Torch.

4. - 5. Multiple recurring alarms would be nice. I know there's some apps that do that. As for weekdays, I know there's an option in Calendar to set the start of the week. Not sure if that would adjust weekdays vs. weekends.

6. I don't consider this is a flaw. If a Wi-Fi signal is too weak, it will switch to 3G so you can still get to the internet. It's doing what it needs to get you to the internet.
    04-27-11 12:45 PM
    There is also a paid app, which i think was 2.99 or 3.99, called "add to contact 2" which, after a call, will ask you if you want to add that caller to your contacts.
    AddOnis is another app that has this feature, along with a bunch of others that you may find useful.
    04-27-11 12:46 PM
    I used to be able to click a link, then lock my phone so I can do something with the phone in my pocket, then unlock and the new website would be done loading by the time I was finished doing whatever....

But with the torch, its like it pauses after I lock, then when I go to unlock, it resumes going to the webpage...

04-27-11 01:25 PM
    #1 is an easy fix with a case. AGF grt for example stops the accidental unlocks, as do most other cases. If you refuse to use a case then get PatternLock, which is a software way to fix the issue.
    04-27-11 03:42 PM
    I go to my address book and click the blackberry symble to get my options menu up and there is NO option for me to add a new contact. And whoever said to click on "menu" I don't have that option in my address book. The ONLY way I've EVER been able to add contacts is to 1. Call them so they r on my call log, then highlight the number, and then options and add to contacts. Or 2. To add email addresses I have to have a sent or received email from them and then highlight, options, add to contacts. I have updated the phone and nothing has changed. I've looked over the phone completely. My phone does NOT have the option to add a new contact when my contact list is brought up. (Also, I use the one that came on the phone. I don't use one of those address book apps)

04-27-11 03:54 PM
    If someone knows how to fix the problem plz let me know but a battery pull and an os update doesn't change anything.

04-27-11 03:55 PM
    U don't even have to press the menu button to find "new contact"

Its a big green plus sign above the top person on ur list...

04-27-11 04:02 PM
    Dude country.. I bet ur accessing your contacts through the green phone button aren't you..

04-27-11 04:04 PM
    You can NOT add new contacts when you're going to your address book THROUGH THE GREEN PHONE BUTTON!!!!

The phone is making the assumption that since you're ready to make a call (by pressing the green phone button) that the number is ALREADY in your phone....

You would have to either go to the actual CONTACTS app or the ADDRESS BOOK app.... It is there that the option to add a new contact shows up...

Orrr.. Another way to do it since ur used to going to the address book through the phone button is to hit the MENU button once you've tabbed over to the contacts list... This will move the cursor to the search bar if you were alreaDy hovering over a name...then hit the MENU button Again and it should bring up the option to CALL FROM CONTACTS LIST.. HIt the Menu button again and then it will select that option and go to the REAL contacts app and there you should see tHe bigggg greeeeen plus sign to add a new contact...

Practice it... Its actually faster than it sounds...

04-27-11 04:21 PM
    Nope. I'm goin to the contacts button in the menu. Even tho I do use the green button as a shortcut most the time. I do NOT have a "green plus symble". I took a screen shot if I can just figure out how to get it on here. I only have my phone. I may b a hot blonde but I'm not STUPID. If all it came down to was a "green plus sign" I wouldn't have wasted time bitchin about the issue.

04-27-11 06:17 PM
    Some keys on the keyboard don't click as well as others .

Battery should be better without adding a extended battery + new battery door to compensate.
    04-27-11 06:48 PM
    Battery should be better without adding a extended battery + new battery door to compensate.
    Are you running os .534? I find it has the best battery life
    04-27-11 07:17 PM
    The volume!!! Ridiculously low period, headphones, speaker phone.
    04-27-11 08:08 PM
    my battery is terrible. updated and since than it's been a problem? maybe i'm just using internet more. anyways the speaker is terrible too. but definately an upgrade from my 9100
    04-27-11 11:06 PM
    Are you running os .534? I find it has the best battery life
    Yup I have .534 .
    04-27-11 11:07 PM
    I've been using a torch for about a week running 448. Coming from the 9000 I'm digging the speed, the large screen and the new browser. the operating memory is a huge bonus; I'm playing with all kinds of apps.

I too am annoyed by the phone ringing when I have my bluetooth headset on. If it's on, it's on my ear. I do not want the phone ringing in that configuration as I'm trying to not disturb people in my area. My bluetooth headset answers calls when the activation button it tapped. I (sadly) don't have a set of stereo bluetooth headphones.

My pet peeve so far? I do use it as a media player in my car and hate, absolutely hate the inferior quality of the miniRCA jack. The slightest jiggle and it disconnects.

I immediately installed Pattern Lock Lite to deal with the too easily triggered lock button and I recommend trying Musical Clocks for all your alarm clock needs.

/my first Torch post, how do I change the devise listed beside my avatar?
    Last edited by BCMike; 04-28-11 at 12:04 AM.
    04-27-11 11:58 PM
    I've been using a torch for about a week running 448. Coming from the 9000 I'm digging the speed, the large screen and the new browser. the operating memory is a huge bonus; I'm playing with all kinds of apps.

I too am annoyed by the phone ringing when I have my bluetooth headset on. If it's on, it's on my ear. I do not want the phone ringing in that configuration as I'm trying to not disturb people in my area. My bluetooth headset answers calls when the activation button it tapped. I (sadly) don't have a set of stereo bluetooth headphones.

My pet peeve so far? I do use it as a media player in my car and hate, absolutely hate the inferior quality of the miniRCA jack. The slightest jiggle and it disconnects.

I immediately installed Pattern Lock Lite to deal with the too easily triggered lock button and I recommend trying Musical Clocks for all your alarm clock needs.

/my first Torch post, how do I change the devise listed beside my avatar?
    At the top right of the CB page, where you will see 'Welcome, BCMike', click on your username. This takes you to your Profile page. Click on the 'About Me' tab then click on the pencil icon to edit device model as well as other profile info.
    04-28-11 09:28 AM
    Mashashiro, I'm interested in your comment that when you are listening to music with your headphones, (i.e. the media player IS running), the phone call alert is routed to the headphones?... Not in my Torch ... Can somebody else confirm this behavior?. Thanks
    05-05-11 10:15 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD