Basically: (Its Verizon if that makes a difference)
    I cant hear ringtones/message alerts/calender alerts/alarms...
    It always vibrates when it needs to , it just wont create sound, but it plays videos and music (mp3s) with sound. Just as far as calls/messages/alarms are concerned. I can use speaker phone, make calls, hear ppl without error but jus ALERTS.

Even when I put it on loud and turn everything up through set up/options, nothing...
    Even when I "Try it" when assigning sounds to profiles. Anybody else have had the same problem and know how to fix it?

P.S. I know its common for it to vibrate randomly and beep randomly but I dont have that issue, just with alert sound.

EDIT: Can someone explain to me the "battery pull" and what it does.
    04-26-11 04:45 PM
    Clean your memory (delete all messages, sms, mms, bbm chats, clear browser history and cookies etc, call logs, recent calls, bb log alt+lglg, and run memory cleaner from option menu) and reboot, by battery pull or alt+right shift+del

Battery pull....pull battery out of phone while phone is still on, allows it to reboot and reclaim memory that jvm uses over time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 07:07 PM
    Also, Vibrate and beep randomly? Neither of my 9650's do this...

04-26-11 07:08 PM
    I had this issue with my mom's phone. She likes when it vibrates and rings together but I notice with her phone it will vibrate twice and then ring. Half the time she hears or feels the vibrate that she didn't let it get to the ring part so thought the ringers just didn't work. Same when we did the "try it" one day I just called it until it went to voicemail and it vibrated twice and then rang.

04-27-11 08:35 AM
    The worst part is being late for work because the alarm didn't ring!
    I have the same symptoms - no sound for rings, alerts or alarm. Not even the 'Try it' function when selecting ringtones. All other sounds work, such as media & speakerphone. After a battery-pull then everything is back to normal. This happened once last week and twice in the last two days. I need to find a solution or get a second alarm clock! I'm on Telus, OS6.0, Bundle 864. Please help.

UPDATE: May 11/11...I upgraded to the latest Bundle 1659 last week but I still have this issue intermittently. Will I have to start doing a battery-pull every day just to get a reliable phone?
    Last edited by craigmccormick; 05-11-11 at 06:42 AM. Reason: new information
    04-28-11 07:08 AM
    Basically: (Its Verizon if that makes a difference)
    I cant hear ringtones/message alerts/calender alerts/alarms...
    It always vibrates when it needs to , it just wont create sound, but it plays videos and music (mp3s) with sound. Just as far as calls/messages/alarms are concerned. I can use speaker phone, make calls, hear ppl without error but jus ALERTS.

Even when I put it on loud and turn everything up through set up/options, nothing...
    Even when I "Try it" when assigning sounds to profiles. Anybody else have had the same problem and know how to fix it?

P.S. I know its common for it to vibrate randomly and beep randomly but I dont have that issue, just with alert sound.

EDIT: Can someone explain to me the "battery pull" and what it does.

Welcome to Crackberry! While you are looking at your sound profiles, make sure "play sound" is set to always.
    Since you are new, I encourage you to check out the Crackberry 101 lessons. I found out a bunch of stuff i didn't know by going thru them when I got my first BB.
    04-29-11 01:21 AM
    The worst part is being late for work because the alarm didn't ring!
    I have the same symptoms - no sound for rings, alerts or alarm. Not even the 'Try it' function when selecting ringtones. All other sounds work, such as media & speakerphone. After a battery-pull then everything is back to normal. This happened once last week and twice in the last two days. I need to find a solution or get a second alarm clock! I'm on Telus, OS6.0, Bundle 864. Please help.

UPDATE: May 11/11...I upgraded to the latest Bundle 1659 last week but I still have this issue intermittently. Will I have to start doing a battery-pull every day just to get a reliable phone?
    I am experiencing this on my new Torch 9860 also. A battery pull works for me too. Only problem is... I have to do this daily--sometimes multiple times throughout the day. I got screwed on the "alarm didn't go off" too. Hahaha. I hope RIM fixes this soon.
    11-15-11 08:45 PM
    uninstalled drivesafe.ly pro and my similar sound issue almost all cleared up. only prob left is alarm in am, sounds like my reminder alert (quiet 1 note) & doesnt wake me... but 5 min later it snoozes back on w/ my usual clock alarm sound and i wake up. . workaround is set alarm for 5 min earlier. sound in options correctly lists my clock alarm sound and it isnt silent upon test. weird would like to fix so know can really fully rely on phone again.
    11-17-11 05:48 PM
    I'm having the same problems. I will try uninstalling drivesafe.ly

I'm on Bell 9900.
    06-16-12 11:18 AM
    My alerts also will not play from time to time.

Even when I go to select my alert or ring tone I get a invalid file type error. Reboot and it will work fine for awhile and then go back to vibrating only. I use only the tones that came installed from RIM.

Sometimes it will get stuck vibrating till it drains the battery down.

Uninstalled drivesafe.ly, no change....
    07-06-12 11:22 AM
    Gee, and I thought only my Crackberry was messed up, only to find out that it isn't.

The sounds will come and go. They are out again for an unknown amount of time, before they start up again. I do nothing to make them stop and nothing to get them restarted. The audio was working again for about half the day.

A hard reboot doesn't fix the issue. It happens when the Crackberry damn well feels like killing the sounds, or turning them back on.

This issue is damn annoying.
    08-10-12 09:41 PM
    I've had the issue your describing as well on some OS versions the problem happens i believe OS 6.0.0.524 and below . i would try upgrading to 6.0.0.719 if you have a 9650 that is, its the newest release for 9650 and i haven't had that issue since upgrading if youre on 5.0 i would look for the newest version for 5.0 if you like it as well.
    08-12-12 09:25 AM
    I installed the latest version of OS6 Saturday afternoon. The sounds were not working before the upgrade and are still not working after the upgrade.
    08-12-12 09:32 AM
    Where are the alerts that you're assigning, they the pre-installed sounds or on memory card
    08-12-12 09:42 AM
    Both. No sound works. Even the sounds you get pushing buttons, or the keys on the side, do not work. Phone calls work fine. Don't play music, but based upon an earlier posting, the playing of music through the headphones should work.

It comes and goes. No reason for it starting and no reason for it stopping. The length of time between the on or off is not fixed.

I can no longer use the phone as an alarm clock, as the audio may stop working, even though it was when I set it. I've missed an alarm because of it.
    08-12-12 10:35 AM
    It is a hardware issue. I have this same problem with mine if if gets bumped wrong or squeezed while in the holster on my hip if i am driving. Start a playing a music file with the speaker activated and apply pressure on the screen. You will hear it start working again. The only true way to fix is to take apart the phone and repair the speaker connection.
    My bold has done this twice usually when i travel and gets bumped around the airplane seats
    08-23-12 06:07 PM
    But the phone works for calls. Are you implying that there are two speakers in the phone?
    08-23-12 06:26 PM
    But the phone works for calls. Are you implying that there are two speakers in the phone?
    Yes. There is a handsfree speaker and a headset speaker
    08-29-12 10:13 PM
    OK. I'm able to get the four screws out, but what next, i.e., how does one get it to come apart?
    08-30-12 07:11 PM
    You have to remove the piece that says BlackBerry there are 2 more screws
    08-30-12 07:13 PM
    I'm normally pretty good at taking crap apart, but I see no way of getting the faceplate off to get at any other screws, that is without destroying it.
    08-30-12 07:44 PM
    You just pop it off from the top
    08-30-12 07:59 PM
    Well, that broke the two little clips at the top of the piece. There was double sticky that also held it together.
    08-30-12 08:10 PM
    I have it apart and believe the other speaker is in back cover of the case, on the left side, when looking from the front.
    Last edited by MrVideo; 08-30-12 at 08:55 PM.
    08-30-12 08:34 PM
    Yep, that was it. It too was kinda stickied into place. I cleaned the contacts on the speaker and on the circuit board. Now it is making noise again. Strange sounding, like the speaker is vibrating within its little holder.

I just might take it apart again at some time and epoxy it into place.

While the speaker appears to be fixed, the damn SDHC card failed

Thanks for the help.
    08-30-12 09:01 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD