I have had my PB for 4 days now and everything works perfectly except the Bridge Browser which does not work at all and never has. I am on AT&T and have the Torch 9800. The first day I was able to download Blackberry Bridge of this site and install without a hitch and the Bridge functionality for Message, Calendar, Contacts has worked flawlessly for me. I am on BES for work but also have 3 BIS internet email accounts and every single one is working fine on Bridge.

My issue is with the Bridge Browser which I have never gotten to work. It shows the following message for all sites I try to hit:

"Not authorized to access http://www.crackberry.com/"

This is shown in the browser window. Black text on white background. URL obviously changes to match whatever site I have tried to use. The regular browser works fine. Just the Bridge Browser does not. Also note that on my Torch itself, I have no issues surfing all sites. Just the Bridge Browser shows the above error no matter what.

I am assuming here that my IT department has locked something out? Is that what's causing the message above? I was under the impression after reading a lot of the threads here that the Bridge Browser uses the phone's browser to surf and so I'm unclear which policy could be preventing me from doing this since my phone is able to surf all sites without issue.

Back on my Bold under OS 5 I remember there were two (or more) browser modes. The Internet Browser went straight to the Internet via the carrier and the Blackberry Browser went to the Internet via BES first allowing it to be used to view corporate intranet sites while at the same time being restricted by corporate IT policies. In OS 6 I have read there is no more separation of modes and that the browser on the phone auto detects what it should do. So I'm wondering what type of policy could be causing this not authorized message. Has anyone figured out how to resolve this? Is this something I need to take up with my IT department?

I'd like to use Bridge Browser and try it out. I'm sure people are going to ask why not use tethering and the normal browser. Well the reason is that with AT&T tethering is an additional fee and that fee only covers I think 2GB of data. I am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan right now. So Bridge Browser if it works and is of decent speed is far superior because I don't have to pay an additional tethering fee and I can use the unlimited data already on my phone.

Playbook running 1710
    AT&T Torch running 526
    04-25-11 11:46 PM
    No one else is having this problem? I'm bugging my IT guy and hopefully he has an idea what's going on. No other Playbooks in our organization yet so I doubt I will get any time to debug this issue.
    04-26-11 02:08 PM
    Can you go to these sites directly from the Torch's browser?
    04-26-11 02:12 PM
    search on here and you will find your answer...
    04-26-11 02:13 PM
    If you will read these forums you will see that AT&T has everyone locked out and you not do the Internet via the bridge. They are looking at how they will charge for the tethering and will soon have a plan that will allow it for a price.
    04-26-11 02:14 PM
    If you will read these forums you will see that AT&T has everyone locked out and you not do the Internet via the bridge. They are looking at how they will charge for the tethering and will soon have a plan that will allow it for a price.

Umm...where have they posted that they are charging for it? I know thats an assumption people are coming up with but you are stating it as a fact.
    04-26-11 02:23 PM
    i noticed that when i'm on EDGE network, the Bridge browser doesn't work.

the moment i change to 3G network, it works.
    04-26-11 02:38 PM
    I've tried the Bridge browser (very briefly since I haven't been away from WiFi yet) on both 3g & Edge and it seems to work fine.
    04-26-11 02:53 PM
    Can you go to these sites directly from the Torch's browser?
    Yup, I sure can. My Torch browser can reach all these sites I'm trying to reach on the Bridge Browser. Works great on the Torch. Also works great on the Playbook regular browser. Does not work on the Bridge Browser with the error message I state above "Not authorized...". I mentioned in my first post that my Torch browser can reach all the sites.

search on here and you will find your answer...
    I did. All the posts I found complain of the speed. Or complain of Bridge not working. No search hits on the "Not authorized ..." message I see. My Bridge works great as I mentioned. I just get the error message on Bridge Browser only.

I did read the forums For AT&T people are saying that the Bridge is working (including for me). Regular browser is working (including for me). Internet tethering using the regular browser is working (I don't have internet tethering service on my account so I cannot use this). Bridge Browser is also working for AT&T folks just really slow. Mine is not working with the "Not authorized..." message so that's why I'm posting this thread. I don't see where you are reading that AT&T has locked everyone out and it's not working. The direct download of Blackberry Bridge app seems to work fine and the fix for Torch versions > 484 are also working fine. And people are saying Bridge Browser is also working fine on AT&T although it's slow.

i noticed that when i'm on EDGE network, the Bridge browser doesn't work. the moment i change to 3G network, it works.
    It doesn't work for me on EDGE or 3G. Always gives me the Not Authorized message
    04-26-11 02:59 PM
    I have had my PB for 4 days now and everything works perfectly except the Bridge Browser which does not work at all and never has. I am on AT&T and have the Torch 9800. The first day I was able to download Blackberry Bridge of this site and install without a hitch and the Bridge functionality for Message, Calendar, Contacts has worked flawlessly for me. I am on BES for work but also have 3 BIS internet email accounts and every single one is working fine on Bridge.

My issue is with the Bridge Browser which I have never gotten to work. It shows the following message for all sites I try to hit:

"Not authorized to access http://www.crackberry.com/"

This is shown in the browser window. Black text on white background. URL obviously changes to match whatever site I have tried to use. The regular browser works fine. Just the Bridge Browser does not. Also note that on my Torch itself, I have no issues surfing all sites. Just the Bridge Browser shows the above error no matter what.

I am assuming here that my IT department has locked something out? Is that what's causing the message above? I was under the impression after reading a lot of the threads here that the Bridge Browser uses the phone's browser to surf and so I'm unclear which policy could be preventing me from doing this since my phone is able to surf all sites without issue.

Back on my Bold under OS 5 I remember there were two (or more) browser modes. The Internet Browser went straight to the Internet via the carrier and the Blackberry Browser went to the Internet via BES first allowing it to be used to view corporate intranet sites while at the same time being restricted by corporate IT policies. In OS 6 I have read there is no more separation of modes and that the browser on the phone auto detects what it should do. So I'm wondering what type of policy could be causing this not authorized message. Has anyone figured out how to resolve this? Is this something I need to take up with my IT department?

I'd like to use Bridge Browser and try it out. I'm sure people are going to ask why not use tethering and the normal browser. Well the reason is that with AT&T tethering is an additional fee and that fee only covers I think 2GB of data. I am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan right now. So Bridge Browser if it works and is of decent speed is far superior because I don't have to pay an additional tethering fee and I can use the unlimited data already on my phone.

Playbook running 1710
    AT&T Torch running 526
    I'm running into this problem as well. It looks like the Bridge Browser defaults to using the BES server to access the internet as well as the intranet. Your BES Admin would need to configure the MDS service to allow access to the internet. My job does not allow internet access through the BES so we have to switch back and forth using the option in the BB Browser to use BIS to access the internet. Thankfully I have tethering enabled, but it would be nice to be able to click an internet link in an email and get to the site. Hopefully RIM will allow you to select whether you want to use BES or BIS to access the internet or make it automatic.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 04-28-11 at 07:27 AM.
    dz8 likes this.
    04-28-11 07:17 AM
    Yeah this sucks. Our BES is configured the same way. Guess I am also waiting for a fix... I don't have tethering so only wifi for me, for now.
    04-29-11 01:40 AM
    I also have the PB and Torch on AT&T and used the OTA dl for BB Bridge on this site. Everything on the device works great EXCEPT the Bridge Browser!!!!

I never did get the "Not authorized" message, but the Bridge Browser the first few days worked really slow, think slower than dial up in the early 90's!!! Then as you progressed through site links at this annoyingly slow speed, you would eventually get an error message.

Now all I get is an error message if I foolishly waste my time trying the use the Bridge browser, so I will leave it alone and wait and see what happens with RIM updating the software and AT&T'S motives.

I really hope this issue is resolved bc it could be a big selling point for this device, web browsing legitimately without paying for tethering. Also it was one of the features I was most excited about in the hype surrounding this device.

Come on and fix the Bridge Browser!!!
    04-29-11 03:35 AM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=605837

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-29-11 06:49 AM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=605837

Not sure what I'm supposed to get out of that link I don't have a problem with Bridge. It works great. My Bridge Browser doesn't work because my BES administrator has internet access through BES locked out. PB should give an option to use BIS or BES for Bridge Browser internet just like how OS5 used to and how OS6 now automatically decides based on destination. It defaults to BES if your phone has BES activation.

BTW, I would think most companies disable internet via BES because although it may be interesting in a big brother way to see what all your BB wielding employees are surfing and could be used to filter what enters/leaves the BB, it's also a big hit to the company's internet pipe. The latter is the reason why our admins disable it on our BES.
    04-29-11 12:14 PM
    I have spent the better part of a week with BB customer support about the Bridge Browser. I am on a BES and my IT dept will not provide any support. The BB support says they are aware of this problem ( a lot of upset customers) and that they are working on a fix. After speaking with so many support staff, I get the sense they really do not know what they are talking about, and can not provide me any information that will get the bridge browser working, or let me know that it will ever work. All other Bridge features work fine. I have Verizon. Internet works fine on the BB.

I am wondering if this is a fix that will come with an update (according to BB) or if this is an IT issue that can only be resolved by a company's IT folks. My 14 day window is closing. I don't imagine anyone else has been successful in knowing the answer to this since it is all such new technology, but if anyone does, please give a shout. Thanks
    tkresge likes this.
    05-01-11 02:05 PM
    Not sure what I'm supposed to get out of that link I don't have a problem with Bridge. It works great. My Bridge Browser doesn't work because my BES administrator has internet access through BES locked out. PB should give an option to use BIS or BES for Bridge Browser internet just like how OS5 used to and how OS6 now automatically decides based on destination. It defaults to BES if your phone has BES activation.

BTW, I would think most companies disable internet via BES because although it may be interesting in a big brother way to see what all your BB wielding employees are surfing and could be used to filter what enters/leaves the BB, it's also a big hit to the company's internet pipe. The latter is the reason why our admins disable it on our BES.
    Exactly, plus you are already paying for internet access through the carrier using BIS so I can see that a lot of companies would block internet access through the BES unless they need very tight control over the devices.

I wouldn't want to use the internet through our BES even if I could because so many websites are filtered or blocked and flash, though not disabled, is restricted so a lot of sites don't function properly. Hopefully a fix is coming soon, unfortunately it wasn't in this last update.
    05-03-11 07:27 AM
    I've had the same problem since day 2. Only the bridge browser fails to work. Oddly enough, it worked right out of the box, albeit slowly. The next day, I recieved an error message about not being able to "download corporate files".

After the latest OS upgrade, when I enter the URL, a new box pops up wanting to save a file always named "(26)." and it wants to save it to my BB storm. Whether I hit cancel or save, it simply stops loading the page and it remains white.

I am on the BES but like others, have full access to any websites thru the Storm.

I sure wish they'd fix this as this was a major reason I went with the PB.
    05-07-11 10:59 AM
    I also have the PB and Torch on AT&T and used the OTA dl for BB Bridge on this site. Everything on the device works great EXCEPT the Bridge Browser!!!!

I never did get the "Not authorized" message, but the Bridge Browser the first few days worked really slow, think slower than dial up in the early 90's!!! Then as you progressed through site links at this annoyingly slow speed, you would eventually get an error message.

Now all I get is an error message if I foolishly waste my time trying the use the Bridge browser, so I will leave it alone and wait and see what happens with RIM updating the software and AT&T'S motives.

I really hope this issue is resolved bc it could be a big selling point for this device, web browsing legitimately without paying for tethering. Also it was one of the features I was most excited about in the hype surrounding this device.

Come on and fix the Bridge Browser!!!
    me too!!! I agree with you.. I never get an error message, but my bridge browser was very very very slow when opening a website (ex: facebook), then it stops working..
    it works perfectly fine with wifi, but not with bridge browser. I wonder why, can anyone fixed this? thxxxx...
    05-15-11 02:38 AM

I am on the BES but like others, have full access to any websites thru the Storm.

I sure wish they'd fix this as this was a major reason I went with the PB.
    I'm with you. If I can't access the 'Net via the Bridge connection, it is a pretty big knock on the way I do business. I use a tablet to access client sites/networks while on the road. If I simply can't do so on the PlayBook, it loses a huge amount of functionality for me.
    05-19-11 08:27 AM
    >because my BES administrator has internet access through BES locked out. PB should give an option to use BIS or BES for Bridge Browser internet

Then what's the use of having the BES Admin close off internet through BES if you can select from your phone / playbook to bypass that? This is probably one of the most-requested loopholes to be closed between major versions?

Anyways, don't blame the Playbook on the fact that the BES Admin closed the internet for you. Complain to your BES Admin to allow the Playbook on that network. In my experience Admins most often lock down any new functionality, until someone starts to complain that they can't use that particular functionality. They will then look in to enabling this (after getting permission of course...)

And btw, complaining here on crackberry is not equal to complaining to your BES Admin ;-)

05-19-11 08:42 AM
    >because my BES administrator has internet access through BES locked out. PB should give an option to use BIS or BES for Bridge Browser internet

Then what's the use of having the BES Admin close off internet through BES if you can select from your phone / playbook to bypass that? This is probably one of the most-requested loopholes to be closed between major versions?

Anyways, don't blame the Playbook on the fact that the BES Admin closed the internet for you. Complain to your BES Admin to allow the Playbook on that network. In my experience Admins most often lock down any new functionality, until someone starts to complain that they can't use that particular functionality. They will then look in to enabling this (after getting permission of course...)

And btw, complaining here on crackberry is not equal to complaining to your BES Admin ;-)

This is not the issue. I can go to whatever site I want on my phone. It is open. With the Playbook, I get these 403 errors and the reason may be that Bridge does not work when your IT department routes web traffic through BIS, not BES. There may be some other reason altogether but no one can get RIM to help!
    05-19-11 08:51 AM
    This is not the issue. I can go to whatever site I want on my phone. It is open. With the Playbook, I get these 403 errors and the reason may be that Bridge does not work when your IT department routes web traffic through BIS, not BES. There may be some other reason altogether but no one can get RIM to help!
    Agreed. I do not believe this was a conscious design decision. It seems to be a bug, and a significant one.
    05-19-11 09:04 AM

It's not a loophole. BBs have BES and BIS services. The BES admin can shut down the BIS service and force you through the BES if they want. Many companies prefer to let their employees use BIS because: 1) It's already paid for through the the carrier plan. 2) It means less internet traffic going through their network. 3) Less chance of an app not working because of a firewall or other configuration issue.

The point is that RIM gives the BES Admin options on how they want to manage internet traffic, but the PB takes some of those options away. If we are allowed by our BES Admin to surf the internet using BIS, then we should be able to do it on the PB as well.
    05-19-11 01:43 PM
    Hello.
    Exact same problem.
    I have been studiyng for hours.
    The problem is when you make the enterprise activation, just in that second the bluetooth services change and then is impossible to have the connectivity desktop, after that you got that error.
    i wipe my bb, upgrade OS until i fixed the bluetooth issue. After that i started the bridge and started bridgebrowsing without a problem! but after playing around i decided to enterprise activate my info (BES!!) and i saw the exact second the bluetooth services conditions changed and in that second obtain the 403 error...
    I hope that the people of bb help us... it is not fair to have a PB with out Bridge browsing!
    05-20-11 10:59 AM
    I hope that the people of bb help us... it is not fair to have a PB with out Bridge browsing!
    While I am not sure about fair, without ubiquitous browsing capabilities any tablet loses a key functionality for me.
    05-20-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD